Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

XM & Xfi

Old 10-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM & Xfi

If anyone reading this uses an XM radio in their Crossfire (the kind you plug into the cigarette lighter as opposed to the kind you can buy the car with), where in the world did you install your XM? I'm open to any suggestions. Between the shifting area & all the places you're not supposed to put anything for safety reasons (airbag surfaces and knee areas), I don't see many options. I tried putting it to the right of gear shift (vertically), but stockier passengers kept knocking it off. There is the air vent mounter but it seems flimsy to me and I don't like the idea of the A/C being blocked. I thought about the glove box but that would get annoying with opening and closing. Am I missing a good spot for mounting the XM? Mine is one of the older (bulkier) ones.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: XM & Xfi

Crossfire Gal,

Here's a link to a pic of my XM install.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...3&d=1157305450

It's a Roady2. I used the little bracket that clips to the air vent. It's been on for a few months, no problems. I did remove the dash a bit and wired my power adapter into the wiring for the cigarette lighter. Then I routed the antenna and power wire out the side of the dash closest to the Roady. Pretty clean install (he adds as he pats his own back - hehe).
It took about and hour or so to do.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked up a bracket at Circuit city that allows the unit to be mounted behind and just to the right of the steering wheel. Very similar to Adoni. Except this is mounted to the dash between the instruments and the center stack. I also had it wired into the wires behind the dash. Total cost was less than $100 and they did it all.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:40 PM

adoni & SRT-6, Thanks for the XM mounting suggestions. Interesting what you've both done with the installs/wiring - I'd heard if you wire it to the radio the sound quality is exceedingly better. Sometimes mine is awful through the cig lighter (literally yesterday I drove by XM national HQ & the signal was still static-y; that's sad). If you do any of your creative installs does that invalidate the manufacturer's warranty on the car radio? - that's been my hesitation to mess with it.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:30 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crossfireGal
If anyone reading this uses an XM radio in their Crossfire (the kind you plug into the cigarette lighter as opposed to the kind you can buy the car with), where in the world did you install your XM? I'm open to any suggestions.
This is where I put mine and it works great... It doesn't get in the way, I never hit or bump it. The installer gave me a few mounting options but with a convertible, I wanted to make sure it was not high enough up that it would be easy for someone to lean in and steal it when the top was down. Plus, I didn't want it to be installed in a way that interfered with the smooth interior lines of the dash area; nor did I want to drill any holes. My bracket is affixed with two-way sticky tape so I can remove it whenever its time...

The only thing? It blocks me from using the coin tray and the little drawer... but no biggy for me because I never used them anyway!

When you decide, take a picture and let us see the end result.

Last edited by Sharonaln67; 10-16-2006 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:16 PM

Thanks Sharon. Thanks for the photo. I see you have the small/sleek XM - I gave my boyfriend one for his birthday so I'm familiar with the model - think it's about 3 times smaller than my XM (older larger heavier) so I'll have to see if it fits there in front of the coin holder I may end up getting a 2nd receiver because I get tired of moving it from car to office to car - and sometimes I forget it one place and wish I had it in the other. If I get a second one I'll get the small one like yours & I should have more options for placement. I've been hesitant to commit to the 2nd receiver & 2nd subscription fee because I'm wondering if the new one will be just as static-y; it works great in my office but lousy in the car so I don't think anything's wrong with the receiver.

By the way you have my FAVORITE color of the Crossfire. For some reason (Chrysler brochure?) I thought that only the SRT-6 came in that pale yellow. I got my LTD used anyway, so I took the color it was , but it was news to me the LTD comes in the yellow. Did you special order it?

Last edited by crossfireGal; 10-16-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by crossfireGal
By the way you have my FAVORITE color of the Crossfire. For some reason (Chrysler brochure?) I thought that only the SRT-6 came in that pale yellow. I got my LTD used anyway, so I took the color it was , but it was news to me the LTD comes in the yellow. Did you special order it?
I agree that the yellow is absolutely gorgeous, but unfortunately it never came as an SRT6, which was/is only black, graphite, aero blue and SSB -- no yellow, red, white, silver, or new machine grey.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:00 AM

I have the XM-2-Go mounted to the right of the shifter using a bracket that is made for the Crossfire. The only problem that I had was that the bracket was the dark Grey & not the lighter color that is joins up with. The place I got it from took it back and had it color matched to the area that it is mounted.

I got the car kit for the XM-2-Go which put the signal in-line with the antenna and the sound is just great. I have a roadster so the antenna is mounted in the center of the dash board right up against the window.

I can take some pictures and post if you are interested.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:15 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Crossfiregal, here's where I mounted mine:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
9579PICT0076.JPG (110.9 KB, 91 views)
Old 10-17-2006, 06:37 AM
Forum Regular
Thumbs up Re: XM & Xfi

Originally Posted by maxxm
I agree that the yellow is absolutely gorgeous, but unfortunately it never came as an SRT6, which was/is only black, graphite, aero blue and SSB -- no yellow, red, white, silver, or new machine grey.
Thank you to both of you... I favor my color, too!!!