Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Replacing radio

Old 03-16-2008, 02:00 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Replacing radio

Originally Posted by jonathan
Seems like the silver faceplates are out . . .
You said it. I also cannot find a silver trim, full featured, current model stereo out there to fit a Crossfire. If it existed, I'd buy it.

If there's any good news in this problem, the cost of the new features (HD Radio, IPod, MP3, DVD, color GPS, etc.) continues to fall and the quality continues to improve. So the day some manufacturer offers that silver trim unit we're looking for, the price / value ratio should be even better than today.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at this thread, gorgeous radio that matches to the tee.. maybe even better then the stock one !!!

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=21961

You can sometimes find them on ebay, as I think the model is discotinued..

Old 03-17-2008, 08:09 AM
Forum Regular

The model you reference, the JVC LHX550, didn't have the feature upgrades people are looking for (HD Radio, IPod, MP3, DVD, color GPS, etc.), though it was a great cosmetic match.

Like many others, I remain hopeful that that will change at some point.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eganders
The model you reference, the JVC LHX550, didn't have the feature upgrades people are looking for (HD Radio, IPod, MP3, DVD, color GPS, etc.), though it was a great cosmetic match.

Like many others, I remain hopeful that that will change at some point.
It does have iPod?? MP3?? What do you mean.. it has an auxiliary input and I'm sure it can play CD-R/W's.. as far as DVDS or GPS.. no.. but I figured it was worth a mention since the headunit matches so well..

As far as watching dvds in the car.. I never really saw the point in that, seems just stupid, ESPECIALLY in a car like this.. I would recommend a portable DVD player if you really need one..

Old 03-17-2008, 11:40 AM

Choosing your radio is going to depend on what you want ot get out of it. If you just want more features and are going to keep everything else stock, then get an inexpensive radio that will alow you to add the features on. Alpine has many models starting around $200 for the radio, then add the options you want. If you are planning on improving speakers and adding amps, you want a better quality radio. This makes a big difference. I have an Alpine CDA9887 with the external Imprint sound manager, bluetooth, and ipod connected to 2 audison amps driving MB Quart speakers and subs. This system sounds amazing, and everything but the radio looks factory. If you want something silver to match, look at Alpines Marine radios, such as the http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...odel=iDA-X100M This will look perfect in the dash, and gives you all the options you need. As for not having a CD player, once you get everything on your iPod, you don't need a CD player. I haven't used mine.

With the Alpine Marine radios pictured, ALL of your problems are solved. Your welcome.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ida-x100m.jpg (50.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg
cda-9886m.jpg (46.5 KB, 84 views)
Old 03-28-2008, 02:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks also for the pictures!

I think that I've decided and I'll go for the X001 ... Looks great.

Originally Posted by AtlantaSRT6
Thanks for posting the photos. The Alpine is a great radio but to me that TOTALLY changes the look of the dash. Every radio I've seen does the same thing. Yea, it looks OK but just appears out of place with the rest of the trim.....and is obviously an aftermarket swap.

I think a manufacturer could make some extra bucks if they came up with a matching faceplate. The OEM should sell and upgraded version of their radio in the marketplace and make a mint!!!

Cheers
I'am also very concerned about the look of a non silver unit that matches exactly with the dash. I've been looking for a solution for a long time, and yesterday I found what could be a solution for this problem. If the mountain won't come to Muhammad, Muhammad must go to the mountain (sorry, I don't know if this expression is used in English but is widly used in Spanish ) I mean, changing the dash, or at least the aesthetic of it, to match the unit. I think that this covers, combined maybe with some other parts from the same provider could not only be a nice solution for an aftermarket radio, but also a nice improvement for the interior look of the XF. What do you think?

Old 03-28-2008, 05:36 AM
Forum Regular

FYI, Kenwood also makes marine head units that are silver also. However, I am not sure that the Kenwoods are as up to date feature wise as the Alpines. The Alpine marines posted above, seem to be exactly like their "auto" versions whereas the kenwoods I saw do not look like their top end "auto" head units. I could be wrong though.

Just a rant.....Why cant they make more affordable (under $350) head units that diplay 3 lines of text and more than 8-10 characters in length. If you're playing MP3s, this info would be helpful.

While my Alpine 9885 auto version (looks the same as the 9886m as posted above) shows 2 lines of text and a decent number of characters ( 16 maybe ), it only shows around 10 when doing searches. I had to change the artist name on my entire Zeppelin collection so that I could search properly. BTW, the Alpine is in my truck, not the Crossfire.

Old Artist name "Led Zeppelin 1975"
New Artist name "Zeppelin 75"

Why not just use Led Zeppelin as the Artist? Well, when you have nearly 60 gig of live zeppelin MP3s, it makes searching through hundreds of "Led Zeppelin" albums pretty tough. To make organizing and searching easier, I put the year of the tour in the Artist name. Another advantage is that the albums that remain under "Led Zeppelin" are only the official studio releases.

Sorry for the rant, but for those looking to play MP3s, the text display capabilities should be high on the list of "must haves" for your new Head unit. Also, research the ipod controls. Some navigate your ipod really slow. Not good while driving and very frustrating. In fact, I have an Alpine 9883 in my 94 olds that is so slow, I unplug it from the head unit to change albums then plug it back in. When I bought it 4 years ago, it was near the state of the art.

Last edited by imabenz; 03-28-2008 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:07 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BlackCrossFire6spd
If you want something silver to match, look at Alpines Marine radios, such as the http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...odel=iDA-X100M This will look perfect in the dash, and gives you all the options you need. As for not having a CD player, once you get everything on your iPod, you don't need a CD player. I haven't used mine.

With the Alpine Marine radios pictured, ALL of your problems are solved. Your welcome.
Yes. Thank you!

Old 03-29-2008, 06:50 AM
Forum Regular

I need one that has suirus and bluetooth any ideas????

Old 03-29-2008, 07:32 AM

It says that the Alpine does not support the new generation Nano. Has anyone had any experience with this unit.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:53 PM

I just bought the JVC KD NX500 it has everything Ipod, DVD, Navigation, Siruis or XM, hard drive for your CD's video input for backup camera and bluetooth (some options need others items to make it work though) it doesnt match the car well being black but otherwise it seems to be pretty close to an all in one unit that we can get for a single din slot. Haven't received it yet but plan on installing it in about 2 weeks with a backup camera and the ipod connectivity kit

Last edited by CdnX-fireOwner; 03-29-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Forum Regular

The Alpine marine radio is a good cosmetic match, but no GPS. Back to the drawing board. A 1 din fold out touch screen in silver, with all the options, would be a great solution.

The other way of doing a reasonable sized screen, without the 1 din dash size problem, would be to mount a touch screen (for GPS, song & station selection, etc.) on a goosneck stalk, or similar, but integrated with the in-dash system. That might be a more workable solution than an in-dash 1 din.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:37 PM

I wish Alpine would release the damn thing already

Old 04-14-2008, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by eganders
The Alpine marine radio is a good cosmetic match, but no GPS. Back to the drawing board. A 1 din fold out touch screen in silver, with all the options, would be a great solution.

The other way of doing a reasonable sized screen, without the 1 din dash size problem, would be to mount a touch screen (for GPS, song & station selection, etc.) on a goosneck stalk, or similar, but integrated with the in-dash system. That might be a more workable solution than an in-dash 1 din.
If you can stand the unit being black, check out the Valor NVG-720W. It's got it all and is 1-din.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CdnX-fireOwner
I just bought the JVC KD NX500 it has everything Ipod, DVD, Navigation, Siruis or XM, hard drive for your CD's video input for backup camera and bluetooth (some options need others items to make it work though) it doesnt match the car well being black but otherwise it seems to be pretty close to an all in one unit that we can get for a single din slot. Haven't received it yet but plan on installing it in about 2 weeks with a backup camera and the ipod connectivity kit
This looks like the radio weve all bee waiting for..except the color. I've searched everywhere and no option except black. At the end of the day, appearance is nearly as important as function.

Anyone with access to JVC's design team? You would think that every radio had a black and a silver version. Heck....charge me an extra $50 and I'd buy it. Oh well....maybe if I was really good with a paintbrush...

Old 04-14-2008, 09:12 PM
Forum Regular

I have this pop out Pioneer AVH-P5700DVD DVD/CD/MP3/Sirius/Navigation/Ipod. I have had it for a while and it fits perfect.

Positives: I have everything above, can play music videos, screen closes to be hidden.

Negatives: It's black, screen covers the AC buttons when open.

JMO

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Last edited by BORICAN; 04-14-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Forum Regular

Sorry, this is it closed.

[/IMG]

Old 04-15-2008, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by scooter
also, if anyone knows of a radio that includes navigation/dvd that fits nicely in that space, let me know.
I've said this before, the Valor NVG-720W provides rear camera, GPS, DVD, CD, radio, Bluetooth, IPOD, and the GPS is not CD based...is 1-din but BLACK.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DICKBEE7631
I've said this before, the Valor NVG-720W provides rear camera, GPS, DVD, CD, radio, Bluetooth, IPOD, and the GPS is not CD based...is 1-din but BLACK.

Dude! Are you the only one selling these on eBay or what?!?! We heard you the first 3 times you said it. Thing is, I'm with the OP on this one. I don't want a gaudy black radio in a beautiful silver dash. And another thing, IF I was going to put a black radio in my car, it definitly wouldn't be that Valor unit. It be a JVC 5000 something single-DIN Nav radio. Not trying to sound like a jerk, it's just my opinion.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Forum Regular

I like gators cutom job might do mine like my sons....

Last edited by CoupeGirl; 04-16-2008 at 01:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Replacing radio