Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Replacing radio

Old 04-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Replacing radio

Coupe Girl, that's awesome. It much be a touch screen but where were the door locks, wing, etc buttons moved to?

Old 04-17-2008, 07:20 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackCrossFire6spd
Choosing your radio is going to depend on what you want ot get out of it. If you just want more features and are going to keep everything else stock, then get an inexpensive radio that will alow you to add the features on. Alpine has many models starting around $200 for the radio, then add the options you want. If you are planning on improving speakers and adding amps, you want a better quality radio. This makes a big difference. I have an Alpine CDA9887 with the external Imprint sound manager, bluetooth, and ipod connected to 2 audison amps driving MB Quart speakers and subs. This system sounds amazing, and everything but the radio looks factory. If you want something silver to match, look at Alpines Marine radios, such as the http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...odel=iDA-X100M This will look perfect in the dash, and gives you all the options you need. As for not having a CD player, once you get everything on your iPod, you don't need a CD player. I haven't used mine.

With the Alpine Marine radios pictured, ALL of your problems are solved. Your welcome.

I stopped by my area Alpine Dealer, The Driver's Side on Rte 1 in Wrentham, and asked them about the Alpine Marine Radio as a replacement for my stock radio. I told them I was concerned about matching the silver color on my dash so that the upgraded radio would look good in place as if it was always there. He told me the latest releases were due in May and he should have one in stock soon. He took the removeable face plate off an Alpine he had in stock and compared it to the size of my stock radio and it seemed to match perfectly. I know I'm a little behind the times but I do not own a MP-3 player or Ipod. I do have an extensive collection of CD's though, so I do want a CD player. He showed me the CD player behind the face plate which I thought was different. I also asked about XM Satellite Radio capabilities and he told me that's a separate attachment to the radio but it would be hidden from view and controlled right through the panel on the Alpine Radio. Then there's the issue of where to place the satellite antenna.

What do you think? Has anyone else converted to XM or Sirius? If so, where did you locate the antenna?

Bob

Old 04-17-2008, 08:16 PM

Xfirenorth,
I have an 06 Roadster with XM. The antenna was mounted on the trunk just above the wing. It was installed by an audio shop, has been on for about 5 months and I have had no problems with it.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:32 AM

hi,

with the Alpine IDA - X001 was it a simple install - how does this head unit work with the existing amp and speaker/sub setup?

Last edited by adamclarkeuk; 04-20-2008 at 02:41 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Alpine Ipod designed radio ... fantastic

I have had the x001 in my Dream Cruiser convertible for almost a year now and I do enjoy the unit. Now that I've added a Crossfire to my stable, I decided to go a little more audiophile this time.

I was lucky enough to come across a new in box Rockford Fosgate RFX-8250 from 2002. It is simply a rebranded Denon A1N, and according to the manual it has the following:
Audiophile components throughout
Dual 20-bit Platinum D/A converters
Full copper-plated chassis for superior noise rejection
Platinum finish metal alloy faceplate
Balanced 8V line outputs with dual mini-DIN connectors
Coaxial digital input
Metal alloy rotary encoder ****
Dual preamp outputs with double shielded cables and metal RCA connectors
Low impedance <50 ohms/5V preamp output
24 FM / 12 AM presets with auto memory store
Auxiliary RCA inputs
Backlit LCD display with clock
Switchable red/green illumination color
Mute function
Bass & treble controls +/- 12 dB @ 100 Hz & 10 KHz
100 dB dynamic range / 86 dB channel Separation
No built-in power - outboard amplification required

I'm going to run it though a Zapco I-Force Amp so I can use the balanced output. To access my I-pod content I plan on connecting a Harmon/Kardon Drive+Play to the head unit's AUX connection which has adjustable gain control. I'm now in the process of auditioning speakers. I think the unit will look awesome once it is installed. What I love is that everything that looks like brushed metal IS brushed metal, and the rotary control dial is metal also. Fortunately, one can set the lighting to green so it should blend nicely with the rest of the dash in the evening.

Here she is: