Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Oem Speakers

Old 03-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oem Speakers

one of my rear subs blew there are a lot of 6.5 speakers out there,I'm wondering if anyone knows the watt of the original subs per speaker that way I can replace it knowing that I bought a sufficient replacement

Old 03-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Default Re: Oem Speakers

Originally Posted by 04-hellfire
one of my rear subs blew there are a lot of 6.5 speakers out there,I'm wondering if anyone knows the watt of the original subs per speaker that way I can replace it knowing that I bought a sufficient replacement

I ran into the same problem, I disconnected the subs until I find out what type of speakers to replace them with...Also has anyone removed them, and what is the procedure???

Thanks,

Steve

Old 03-24-2008, 07:14 PM

I have not been able to determine the wattage per speaker but i figure them to be know more than a hundred. the door speakers and subs are 6 1/2. getting to the sub was not really a problem but be careful about lifting the seal over the back window the plastic inserts are in very secure after inspection i saw that LIFTING IT UP closest to the (3) star screws is the safest way the greatest help to all would be to download the service manual unfortunately I dont remember it's address but I found it out through this forum and after searching I've also determined that installing a seperate audio video system including wiring is what im going to do that way I can upgrade as i want .

Old 03-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, a few corrections, the rear subs are 6x8 or 6x9, I think 6x9's and they are DEFINITLY NOT anywhere near 100 watts. they are AT MOST 20 watts each (RMS). For the crossfire factory system, the way it is configured it is best to replace them with the factory speakers from the dealer if you are using the factory radio. The door speakers are 6.5" component speakers, meaning a seperate tweeter and woofer. It is best to replace these with component speakers, not coaxial.

The rear subwoofers are EASY to get to. All you have to do is move the seat foward all the way and lift the carpet cover up and you will see the speaker.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:24 PM

Hi Thanks for the info yes there are some corrections however I am definetly sure about the rear speaker I pulled it out myself and its measurement is 6 1/2 i also tested its size by placing a 6 1/2 replacement speaker in it and it fitted perfectly I shopped around today from walmart circuit city and best buy and discovered that the door speakers are not 6 1/2 but 6 3/4 and yes the rear sub is behind the carpet I followed the instructions from the service manual to get to it the process is to lift the rear window seal as the carpet is just not laying without a way to keep it in place

Old 03-25-2008, 08:38 PM

Interesting. I'm not saying you are wrong, but in my coupe, the cutouts in the metal are a 6x8 opening, and all I have to do is pull the carpet from the side where it meets the door, and lift it up, and I can see the speaker. I don't have speakers in there, and i never did since my car is a base model, but mine are DEFINITLY a 6x8 opening. I would then asume that the limited either has different cutouts (unlikely) or some kind of adapter or enclosure housing a 6.5" speaker. I used to install custom sound systems for Sound Advice, and I have a complete system including rewiring the speakers, so I know a little bit about the Crossfire Audio system.
As for the fronts, 6.5 is the same as 6.75. The car audio industry reffers to these as an oversized 6.5. That means, any 6.5 will fit. I used MBQuarts in my car and they are a perfect fit (German car, german speakers).
I would suggest going to a more reputable shop than Best Buy or Circuit City. Maybe not more reputable, but a shop the regulary works on high-end cars like mercedes, ect. Believe me, this makes a difference.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:49 PM

Hey Thanks a lot I appreciate your help I believe you about the size of the cut out in that the subs is housed in a plastic fixture that you then screw into the cut out the funniest thing when i saw it i was surprised to see that it was placed face in if you will sort of diagonal I will definitely take a look at just lifting the carpet I hope that it's just that easy.Thanks

Old 03-25-2008, 08:57 PM

Glad to help. I hate seeing people get screwed getting car audio, so I try to help out when I can. Now I know a bit more about the Crossfire audio system. My only other suggestion is if you have everything OEM (radio mainly), get the speaker from the dealer, or get a 6.5" mid-bass driver. The speaker does not get a full range signal from the factory system, so if you replace it with a standard coaxial, the tweeter will not be used, and the bass response may not be the same.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by 04-hellfire
Hey Thanks a lot I appreciate your help I believe you about the size of the cut out in that the subs is housed in a plastic fixture that you then screw into the cut out the funniest thing when i saw it i was surprised to see that it was placed face in if you will sort of diagonal I will definitely take a look at just lifting the carpet I hope that it's just that easy.Thanks
Thanks for the info, hellfire how much problems did you have taking the speaker grills off, I was afraid I was going to break one trying to pry off...am I doing something wrong???

Old 03-26-2008, 05:26 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snxfire
Thanks for the info, hellfire how much problems did you have taking the speaker grills off, I was afraid I was going to break one trying to pry off...am I doing something wrong???
search the forum for "crutchfield pdf" or "crutchfield master sheet".

There is a thread that has the PDF link in it. It details how to remove all speakers, including the rear 6.5" subs and their speaker covers.

I found it yesterday, but do not have the link to post at this moment.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:21 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by imabenz
search the forum for "crutchfield pdf" or "crutchfield master sheet".

There is a thread that has the PDF link in it. It details how to remove all speakers, including the rear 6.5" subs and their speaker covers.

I found it yesterday, but do not have the link to post at this moment.
Here ya' go:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
attachment.pdf (353.2 KB, 663 views)
Old 03-26-2008, 07:35 PM

the grille over the rear subs have 2 tabs top and bottom just take it easy they pop right out