Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

My panic button no longer works?

Old 03-26-2009, 05:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: My panic button no longer works?

I had the same thing. Dealer told me it was some kind of a loose wire & it literally took 5 minutes to fix. They knew exactly how to fix it when I told them what was going on. They didn't even pull it in a bay, just fixed in the the drive, tossed me my keys & I was all set. No problems since the fix almost 6 mo ago - not that I need my alarm a lot. I didn't have door locking chirps either until the fix.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:49 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks that was the first thing they did. The reason I know is when they gave me a ride home I had to give my spare key to the driver so they would have both keys to work with. In the warranty history their is no mention of TSBs being performed.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Forum Regular

The body control module (BCM) will not be here till Monday but I found the following interesting.

Dealer told me they had to have a part sent/rented from Chrysler in Michegan so they could have an interface between their computer and the BCM in order for them to download new firmware into the body control module. I was told that it is too expensive to own for the limited number of Crossfire's they deal with. Does this sound right? Has anyone heard of this before?

Old 03-29-2009, 10:19 AM

Is this the part that the Dealer replaced?

alarm siren 1028006, FP number 5124443-AA

It is where the chirp originates when locking the car.

Good luck with the problem.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Forum Regular

No the siren module is OK and so is the siren. They replaced the Centrol Locking module and the SKEEM and a bus connector. Tuesday they are replacing the Body Control module after it is reprogramed with new firmware. It does not appear to be the quick fix I had seen previously on the Forum. Glad I did bring it in for rhe work. It is still under warranty. I will post part numbers when I get them.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the update, and sorry for the poor advise.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Forum Regular

Forgive the rant but it is now 6 weeks and still no progress on fixing the panic button BUT... I have come to the conclusion that Fiat is crazy for doing a deal with Chrsyler and Meredes must have thought they could not wait to divorce Chrsyler. When attempting to program the new Body Control Module the dealer found that the NEW SKREEM was not programed by Chrysler with my complete VIN #. It only had my first 3 digits. It will be six weeks to fix a panic button. Living in a rural town is great until you need to get parts or service. I have AAA plus so I can get my Mercedes towed to Phoenix to have it worked on for any real repairs needed.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Forum Regular

Well this saga started 2/27/09 and it is almost 8 weeks latter and the panic button is still inop. Today they are trying to get the third Body Control Module to accept the program. If this fails they (Chrysler) is supposed to fly in an engineer. Honestly I am not holding out much hope that the third time will be a charm. Car drives and works OK except for the panic button BUT this could be a major problem in the future if they can't program the BCM to accept new parts.

Last edited by Hawk Monster; 04-22-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Forum Regular

Well the body control module is still not accepting a program. They even tried to disconnect the transmission module which was blocking the BCM from accepting the new program. I'll know more tomorrow hopefully.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hawk: Ever get this fixed? If so, what was needed? Thanks.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Forum Regular

Sorry. I thought I posted the results. It was NOT anything physical. It was a programing error when the car was built. They had to go in and delete all the program data and replace the country of orgin to the United States. My orginal dealer was unable to program the module due to lacking the correct equipment so they replaced all the parts. It must have cost Chrysler a bundle. Some of the parts where replaced 2 and 3 times. This dealer also gave me a new key. After this dealer was closed by Chrysler, I took it to AirPark Chrysler and they fixed it in a day. I live in a riural area and had to drive 3 hours one way to take the car to AirPark but it was worth it. Hope this helps. If you are having the same problem perhaps I could give you some options since I worked on this problem for over 6 months.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Received 552 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawk Monster
Sorry. I thought I posted the results. It was NOT anything physical. It was a programing error when the car was built. They had to go in and delete all the program data and replace the country of orgin to the United States. My orginal dealer was unable to program the module due to lacking the correct equipment so they replaced all the parts. It must have cost Chrysler a bundle. Some of the parts where replaced 2 and 3 times. This dealer also gave me a new key. After this dealer was closed by Chrysler, I took it to AirPark Chrysler and they fixed it in a day. I live in a riural area and had to drive 3 hours one way to take the car to AirPark but it was worth it. Hope this helps. If you are having the same problem perhaps I could give you some options since I worked on this problem for over 6 months.
So the moral of this tale is that when the panic button does not work don't panic as it may take 6 months to fix.
It just shows that some dealers change parts hoping to hit the right one by luck, the customer would be asked to pay for these items as they would not eat the cost themselves.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:07 PM

Just curious as to what your recommended course of action would be for some one in a similar situation?
My 04 with 60,000 miles electrical system is going insane. First i noticed weird tendency's with my abs light, but now its all messed up. Luckily this doesn't affect the driving, but is an insane nuisance . Primarily among the other issues lie the spoiler not functioning correctly (has a blinking red light, and wont stay down) and the warning lights go crazy when you honk the horn ( weird right?). If anyone has a semi easy at home fix, lmk cause i really don't want to go through the hassle of dealing with the dealership. Also would any of these issues be covered by the 70,000 mile power train warranty?

Last edited by gfields14; 10-28-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:44 PM

How old is the battery in the car? Failing batteries cause the spoiler issue and others.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Forum Regular

I would call dealer to see if covered. In my experience complex electrical problems are NOT a diy project unless you have alot of experience, knowledge, etc.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My vote for the main battery needing replacement too. Seems to have fixed my alarm problem.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Just for the record both of my car's panic buttons don't work.
I know for sure that the coupe alarm used to work. Not sure about the roadster.
Haven't tried to fix it. Was hoping there might be an answer here.

Oh well...

Old 10-28-2009, 11:50 PM

Ill go test the battery tomorrow, it doesn't look the old owner had replaced it in a while.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:53 AM

When you ask a question it would be good to know the year of the car at least.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by tighed1
Just for the record both of my car's panic buttons don't work.
I know for sure that the coupe alarm used to work. Not sure about the roadster.
Haven't tried to fix it. Was hoping there might be an answer here.

Oh well...
You are being modest, of all the people on this forum that problem should be a walk in the park for you.
I am going to pull the board today and study the solder joints. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: My panic button no longer works?