Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

My panic button no longer works?

Old 10-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My panic button no longer works?

Just curious, would oreillys or an auto parts store be able to tell me if it's a baterry issue if I brought my battery in?

Old 10-29-2009, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by gfields14
Just curious, would oreillys or an auto parts store be able to tell me if it's a baterry issue if I brought my battery in?
they should. I think they have a machine that can check the status of a battery and let you know if you need a new one.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"Just curious, would oreillys or an auto parts store be able to tell me if it's a baterry issue if I brought my battery in?

they should. I think they have a machine that can check the status of a battery and let you know if you need a new one."

Yes, but if your battery is more than about four years old, or you are having any of the weird alarm, etc. problems reported on the site, then just go-ahead and replace the battery. Mine seemed fine, but no! It had to embarrass me badly at work.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:31 PM

Update: took the battery in, and it had gone bad, but sadly replacing it was no cure-all. Although the issues aren't persistent like they used to be they still occur when there is a large load on the electrical system( turning the brights on or honking with the lights on) any of the following symptom may occur.
A. The spoiler pops up and becomes immobile( even after the load is removed)
B. the warning lights on the dash light up like a Christmas tree(not all of them, but what appear to be random ones )
c. The drivers side light dims and the driver side blinker will not work (only when excessive load is applied).
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:52 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Now that you have a good battery go back to Autozone (or where ever) and have them check out yer charging system (free).
If that all checks out I'd start looking at ground connections. I'd loosen them clean them and re-tighten all that I could find.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by tighed1
Now that you have a good battery go back to Autozone (or where ever) and have them check out yer charging system (free).
If that all checks out I'd start looking at ground connections. I'd loosen them clean them and re-tighten all that I could find.
+1
There are quite a lot of grounds on this car, do the obvious ones and then look harder. Bad grounds do not work at all well with a heavy load applied to them, just plain lazy I guess.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd think about replacing the battery cables, and as described above, making sure the ground(s) are good.

On old Mopars, I'd also be looking for corrosion on the bulkhead (through firewall) connections.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:00 AM

oAre there any decent wiring diagrams on this site for the electrical system as far as the dash connections go?I tried searching but could only find links to the manual which is less detailed than what i was looking for. I want to make sure I can get it all back together right before I dive into this.

EDIT: Found this one http://homepage.mac.com/gregmeach/XFire/ has some good diagrams

Last edited by gfields14; 11-01-2009 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by gfields14
oAre there any decent wiring diagrams on this site for the electrical system as far as the dash connections go?I tried searching but could only find links to the manual which is less detailed than what i was looking for. I want to make sure I can get it all back together right before I dive into this.

EDIT: Found this one Crossfire Repair Manuals has some good diagrams
I always thought that was the shop manual, it just seemed the sections were titled differently.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:33 AM

Another interesting tid bit : I've learned that if I turn the key to the on position and then turn on the lights the car will start. ( without actually turning the key all the way) and no I've not done anything under the dash where stuff could get switched, although the car could have came this way as I just bought it a week ago. ( luckily I got the gold warranty from the dealership )

Old 11-01-2009, 11:08 AM

Warranty? take it back why bother to waste the time, if you screw something up your warranty will be worth nothing.