Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Base x-f sound system to Limited or srt-6 system

Old 08-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Base x-f sound system to Limited or srt-6 system

has anyone ever tried to put on the limited or srt-6 sound system in a base x-f? cause in mine, (base) , the sound system really sucks and i heard that the limited and srt-6 sound systems were great...!? Anyone has advice or ever done it before? Is it possible?

Thanks

Old 08-18-2008, 02:18 PM
Default Re: Base x-f sound system to Limited or srt-6 system

honestly just get a new head unit installed, the speakers are good bc they are infinities but they have no power.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Forum Regular

Hi ,Is it too much bass out of the door speakers , if so try the post
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ead.php?t=9938

Its like a new system

Cheers

Andy

Old 08-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The two popular issues with the Infinity Non-Nav sound system are

1. Too much bass from the door speakers (fix posted as a sticky)
2. No way to plug in auxiliary devices (e.g. iPod, XM receiver, hair dryer) into the non-navigation head unit.

Since you don't have the head unit, you could do yourself a favor and buy a head unit that fits the hole, a power amp if you decide you need one, and wire it to the factory speakers, adding tweeters and subs if you don't have them. If you pick the right head unit you will end up with a place to plug in your auxiliary devices and skip past that whole twisted mess.

As for the doors speakers with too much bass, most upper-end head units will give you several options for low-pass filter settings and you can set it to achieve the same effect as adding the capacitor described in the sticky post in the forum.

Really, while the factory head unit LOOKS GREAT, it's limited in what you can do with it in this age of blue tooth hands-free or MP3, iPod, XM or Sirius Sat Radio. Unless you're firmly rooted in the 90's and can live with a stack of CD's and AM/FM radio, you will come out ahead $-wise by skipping the factory non-Nav radio.

And from what has been posted here, the NAV radio isn't such a great device either compared to options in the aftermarket.

You can see what I did on my site - though I went through the factory amp in my car, you could just as easily do most of the same things (using your favorite brands of components) and come out ahead.

Write Up Here

Old 08-18-2008, 06:12 PM

Creative spot for the Drive+Play. Does it ever get in the way of the hand brake?

Old 08-18-2008, 06:38 PM
Forum Regular

Do you mean this?

Write-up

If you keep your hand below the push button and carefully push the button with just your thumb while operating the brake, it's fine. If you "fat fist" it or let a tech drive the car, it could get bumped but the construction is pretty robust - it would take a little abuse without any problem.

The nice thing is, the "****" is below the surface of the console so it doesn't stick out. And when I drive, my hand fell right to that spot, making it sweet to operate the iPod control.

I have since gone to an integrated iPod controller that runs in my head unit so the display went away and the **** is gone. The head unit has a control that is similar though not quite as nice. But getting rid of the extra screen really cleaned up my interior.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:41 PM

Yeah. It looks awesome. Did you install it yourself?

Old 08-18-2008, 06:47 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by smokey847
Yeah. It looks awesome. Did you install it yourself?
Yes. The write up is available by clicking the picture in the reply above. I did all the variations on the stereo installs myself and the write-ups give way too much details. I've done several ground-up car restorations so this stuff is pretty easy by comparision. But when I first started working on cars I thought changing a light-bulb was a big deal. Over time you get more and more confident. With the factory manuals, the right tools, and practice it doesn't take long. Along the way you screw things up but eventually, you can do pretty much anything without too much fuss.

For that ****, it was three screw holes in the vertical surface facing the hand brake and one larger hole for the wire to fish through. I made sure that I put the holes in exactly the right spot before I drilled. There's no "guessing" - I used the plate for attaching the mounting pedestal as the guide for marking the holes and a center punch to make little indents for the drill to start in.