Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Radio Locked in dash

Old 08-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Locked in dash

I was trying to remove my infinity radio to add an FM antenna modual but cannot get the deck out of the dash. I went to a stereo shop and they used their keys and it still wouldn't come out. One side would work with the key and the other side he said the spring had already been released. Is there any way I can get the one spring "unreleased" so that I can pull out this deck? Also, is there a picture of the back of the radio that shows what is attached and what it does? HELP!!!!

Last edited by radicalrik; 08-22-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Default Re: Radio Locked in dash

Originally Posted by radicalrik
I was trying to remove my infinity radio to add an FM antenna modual but cannot get the deck out of the dash. I went to a stereo shop and they used their keys and it still wouldn't come out. HELP!!!!
Young Grasshopper, you must have the right key. Jackson key usually works.

Seriously, If they had the correct key it should have worked. Try a different stereo shop.

PS I was watching the Olympics and they were showing the Sholin Temple where the Monks learn Kung Fu and I had a momentary flashback.

Now I am trying to remember the character's names. This is your fault.

Kane?
Master????

Last edited by RMADERMAN; 08-22-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:11 PM

They had a complete Radio removal key kit. None of them worked. My understanding is once that spring has been release the only way to get it unrelease is by getting the deck out and resetting the side metal clips.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They had a complete Radio removal key kit. None of them worked. My understanding is once that spring has been release the only way to get it unrelease is by getting the deck out and resetting the side metal clips.

If the spring is released then it should slide out.. easy enough. Really, double check their tools.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...l+tools&tp=990

Should look like the upper right tool on the right tool's side. (Does that make sense)?

To be honest, if you can't get the radio out this way, you're really out of luck.... the only other way to get the radio out is to take apart the lower dash, upper dash, glove box.. etc.. i've been there and it SUCKED.. and to be honest i don't even think you could do it that way because to remove the whole center console you do need to remove the radio.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:58 AM

These can be little buggers to remove, but with a little patience, some jiggling, and finesse, it will come out. If you look at my photo (radio is upside down) you can see the locking mechanism at rest. When the key is inserted in the proper direction (as shown in photo) the "wedge lock" draws into the chassis, allowing you to remove the unit. Sometimes you need to gently manipulate the unit left-right, in-out to free it up. DO NOT pull unit with extreme force or the wedges may become permanently messed up. Good luck!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
radio key.JPG (241.3 KB, 107 views)
Old 08-26-2008, 02:18 PM

I finally went to a dealer who was able to remove my radio. The problem now is the unit will power on but won't display anything or won't let me turn it off by the button.
Also, I looked for a antenna connection in the back but could not see one. Is this housed in the wiring harness?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check out page 17 of the audio repair manual. The wiring diagram indicates two wires run from the back of the radio to the antenna. Click here

Old 08-26-2008, 02:31 PM

If I wanted to hook up an FM Amplifier from Sirus would you know where or how I would connect it?

Old 08-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Kwai Chang Kane, grasshopper. David Carridine(Sp?)

MikeR

Old 08-26-2008, 05:06 PM

Give me a break here. If you have the answer then please let me know, otherwise enough with the non-sense!

Old 08-26-2008, 07:37 PM

Give me a break here. If you have the answer then please let me know, otherwise enough with the non-sense!
So Sorry. I just don't have your perseverance. I would have had an expert do it right and not have to deal with the headache. Then again when I was 16/17, I changed the radio in a few cars. AM to FM to stereo to 8 tracks. No Sirus back then.

Good luck. I am sure you will be provided with an answer from this awesome forum.

May the Force be with you young grasshopper.

PS Thanks for the info R.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I wanted to hook up an FM Amplifier from Sirus would you know where or how I would connect it?
I don't know anything about the actual unit you're trying to install.. so I'll take a wild guess while i'm waiting for class to start..!

First, you need a few things. I'm assuming this fm amplifier is powered (I think all are?) so you're going to need to run power to it. You can splice into the factory wires (which you may or may not want to do), use T-Taps, try to tap into the cigarette lighter (which I cannot help you with), or possibly use the cigarette lighter. Bottom line, figure out how to get power to this amplifier.

Second, you need to get the stock antenna to plug into the FM Amplifier, then the FM amplifier to plug back into the stock headunit..(i'm assuming you're using your stock headunit here)

This wouldn't be so bad, except for our cars are german. This means you have to spend a little bit more money for some antenna adapters.

First, you need the stock antenna to the FM Amplifier.. http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...ntenna&tp=2569

Then, you need the FM Amplifier to the stock radio
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...ntenna&tp=2569

If you need anything else, let me know!

Old 08-27-2008, 06:44 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I can see this fellow wants to make "friends" real fast. I'm sure someone will overlook that and give you the answer....eventually....

Last edited by danimal; 08-27-2008 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by RMADERMAN
May the Force be with you young grasshopper.
LOL I love it!! Star Wars meets Kawi Chang Caine!! Now what a movie that would be don't you think.

Shame not everybody appreciates the humour - I do and I will be sure not to tear the rice paper flooring on my way out the door!

On a serious note - I am upgrading the standard head unit in my UK Crossfire to a Clarion system this weekend and hope that I can get the darn thing out too!

Rob

Old 09-15-2008, 02:10 PM

I was able to get mine out with two small steak knives with no damage to the unit, I would hope a shop could remove it.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:27 PM

Hi

I actually went to my local dealer and they simply 'popped' it out with their chrysler tools. An interesting note is that I was told by the garage over here you cannot buy these tools from the parts department at the dealer. The mechanic told me that even his radio tools were his own and he had to buy them from chrysler for his job from his own money. Sucks!

Anyway my car now boasts a superb JVC AVX44 head unit - seamlessly installed with factory wiring harness. It has blue tooth streaming/mobile connection, dvd, USB, and ipod support with on screen display and control for all inputs (even the ipod is controlled from the head unit). It rocks.

All I need to do now is lose those front speakers. I reckon that even with the capacitor mod seen on this forum they are still lousy units. Any ideas for replacements??

Rob

Last edited by yeehaa; 09-19-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bat will definitely get the head unit out. From there just get a good pair of wire cutters and snip away. Tape a cd to the unit and hold it to your ear. The sound should be great now.