Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

radar detector placement

Old 06-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: radar detector placement

If I were to invest in a radar detector, I would look for one that is equipped with a remote sensor. I recall that when Lexus first came out, a radar detector was an option; the actual infrared/radar detector gadget was mounted just behind the front grill, with all of the controls, of course, in the cabin.

Does anyone know if such an aftermarket package is offered on today's market?

Old 06-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tamadx
they will all pick up the same signal its just the amount of time it gives you is the difference.
I understand im not a pro just telling my experience its helped me everytime....

Old 06-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thats how mine is the sensor i mounted behind the grille thats why the main unit can be mounted where its mounted.....

Old 06-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tamadx
they will all pick up the same signal its just the amount of time it gives you is the difference.
And, in the case of the V1, where it's coming from (behind, side, front).

Just so that I don't come across as a Valentine fanboy, some of the RD units that have hidden installs (rear, front grill mount sensors, etc.) are pretty darn cool. Also some of the detectors that are RDD-proof are probably worth the money, especially if you live in VA!

Old 06-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Forum Regular

I use a V1 in the srt.Its a great radar detector but i hate having windshield mount.Especially with a vert.I also have a jeep grand cherokee that is our main road trip vehicle.I have a passport srx remote radar detector and laser jammer system in it and that thing kicks butt.The range on it is just as good as the V1 plus it has the jammers with a remote shut off switch.This is a never ending debate.You have to get what works best for you.Personally i think a good remote detector is the way to go but you will most likley spend more money for it.If the Whistler remote that sowardcustom has in his car works good then to me that would be a great price for a remote detector.I honestly didnt know they made remote detectors in that price range

Old 06-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Forum Regular

Uhhh gonna go ahead and add my little bit....

Well my friend has been in the Radar/Laser Detector/jammer business for a bit and so i've really picked up on some very useful and ACCURATE information...

First...

For a Radar Detector, Valentines are very useful for their arrows and very long Ka recog. they also can be reprog. for Ku if your area happens to use it. They however have alot of junk scans, which is why i bought a beletronics, which in general has less junk alerts... the 9500i is very nice and has GPS for traps. But man i wish i had the arrows.

Mounting for the Radar detectors should be HIGH on the windshield and not low... They did several tests using laser and radar (K and Ka) to test this. The high mounting position had the quickest read.. the detector is not like a straight line, it spans out into a wide scatter which is not fully utilized if half of it is hitting the concrete.

Third, if your buying a laser/radar detector DO NOT EXPECT to avoid a laser cop. The laser detectors on any of the detectors only apply to when the laser directly hits your vehicle inwhich they aim for your headlights. So your detector may not even known its being hit by a laser... but the truth is... if you get the laser alert, your speed is already sitting in the officers hand, so dont worry about laser positioning for your detector... it doesnt matter, your getting a lovely ticket.

Fourth, GOOD NEWS. There are laser jamming systems out there that DO WORK. Blinder laser jammers are effective and up to date. While testing them, they found that they immediatly alert your car the second the laser hits the vehicle (the jammers are mounted in your grill). Futuremore, the jammers emit a wavelength to counterbalance the laser that was shot at your vehicle which then will read as "excessive light." This is effective at VERY far ranges as well as even close ones. However, they found that the other laser jammers currently on the market did not work as effectively and were largely based on "chance." The field of protection is much lower on these models according to many sources in the field.

I dont have any affiliation with any of the companys above so please take my post as advice from an informed person. BTW, the blinder laser systems run a bit expense for suv's which require 4 jammers, and around 300-350 for passenger vehicles which only cover the front. Word of advice, Don't install them yourself, the positioning is ESSENTIAL, so just getting them on or behind the grill is no sufficient, its just a waste. and pleassseee make sure your state allows the use of these devices... i know TX does, but make sure otherwise

Kolme