Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

A nice freebie from Crutchfield

Old 08-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A nice freebie from Crutchfield

Originally Posted by dkerns
Thank you RCROSFYR,

I think I will give it a shot and order it.

I came across this coupon code to drop the price another $20 if anyone else is interested in buying this unit. Not sure how long it will be good for. The code is 3a825. I put it in special offers/catalog block at the bottom of one of the pages when I entered the order.
I spoke to a tech and he said that we should bypass the factory amp and run the wires from the head uinit to the speakers directly. THere is a lot of sophisticated sound processing in this head unit that provides a lot of good sound.

FYI the crutchfield techs are pretty awesome.

Thnx agian for the tip MAX!

Old 08-07-2009, 10:47 AM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bonjovi circuitry?!?

What does it do, play "Livin on a Prayer" really well?

LOL, couldn't be helped. I had to say it.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:00 PM

I just ordered it, as well as the aux adapter so I can throw my iphone in the glovebox.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nate_man
I spoke to a tech and he said that we should bypass the factory amp and run the wires from the head uinit to the speakers directly. THere is a lot of sophisticated sound processing in this head unit that provides a lot of good sound.

FYI the crutchfield techs are pretty awesome.

Thnx agian for the tip MAX!
They told me the same thing for my Pioneer HU. But after reading around here, I decided to run the HU speaker outs to the OEM amp and---it sounds great.

Let us know?

Old 08-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Talking Re: A nice freebie from Crutchfield

I just installed this unit in a 2005 crossfire Roadster.

I used the speaker outputs to connect. I had previously installed the JVC KD-LHX550 and the wiring for the KD-S100 is identical. I kept the trim ring from the LHX550 because the silver was a bit closer to the dash. You could also spray paint the one they provide although it is already a close match.

I did swap the constant power and switched power, (red and yellow wires), from the instructions that came with the harness they provide. I think the designations are correct for VWs but are backwards for our cars.

The display and file menus work fine with a flash drive. I don't have the iPod adapter yet. Anyone tried it with one? Having both the USB and the SD card slot lets me keep a set of all purpose music on the card and a changing playlist on the flash.

My only complaint is that it is imopossibe to read the display with the top down and the sun directly behind. I may try an anti-glare screen saver over the display. I agree that the unit sounds great with the DSP turned on.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Question Re: A nice freebie from Crutchfield

One question regarding installation.

Has anyone figure out how to mount this or any other DIN unit a bit farther back? The sleeve that comes with the radio makes it stick out more than I'd like. I tried test fitting it without the sleeve. If I push it back so that the trim ring just sits on the opening it looks a lot nicer. The problem is how to hold it in place? To use the sleeve I'd have to cut off the flange on the front that keeps it from going past the lip on the opening of the dash.

Way back when DIN radios were rare we used to use metal spring clips to install shafted radios into DIN openings of German cars. They worked the same way that the spring clips on the factory radio do. I asked at a local car stereo shop and Crutchfield but no one has seen these types of clips for years.

If anyone has any ideas for a trick mount I'd love to hear them.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by thesebastiancat

My only complaint is that it is impossible to read the display with the top down and the sun directly behind. I may try an anti-glare screen saver over the display. I agree that the unit sounds great with the DSP turned on.
I agree with you, to read this with the top down in the sun is impossible...but I love the fact I can hook up my current thumb drive (1GB) and don't have to worry about it.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Forum Regular

This just arrived yesterday with my amp kit!!!! Looks veryyy nice, should have it installed with the help of BLKFIN this weekend... it even comes with a CD to tune your system! too cool....

Will have pics of it in my Grapphite SRT!!!!

Old 08-21-2009, 04:29 AM

Looked like a decent deal so I'm ordering. Will give feedback when installed. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:52 PM
Forum Regular

Hey!!! just got my this headunit installed today with the HUGE HELP of Scott (BLKFIN)... Looks great went ahead and took some day time pictures and will also take some night ones later on and post them!!!

Old 08-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kolme
Hey!!! just got my this headunit installed today with the HUGE HELP of Scott (BLKFIN)... Looks great went ahead and took some day time pictures and will also take some night ones later on and post them!!!

Sweet,

I plan to put mine in tomorrow but quick question did you use the factory amp or run the wires directly to the head unit? THe cructfield guys said that it is better not to use the factory amp as this unit has pretty impressive capabilites and the amp will compromise is DSP quality.

THoughts...

Old 08-22-2009, 10:52 PM

I used the speaker inputs. Very simple install. Great sound. Try it, you'll like it,

Old 08-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Forum Regular

Sweet,

I plan to put mine in tomorrow but quick question did you use the factory amp or run the wires directly to the head unit? THe cructfield guys said that it is better not to use the factory amp as this unit has pretty impressive capabilites and the amp will compromise is DSP quality.

THoughts...
Pretty sure we just went ahead and used the Amp lol. But I am also running some JL Tweeters and Type R Alpines in the door, so I was more worried about getting power to the speakers. It sounds Verrryy good so i would not put too much bearing on whether to wire direct to the speakers or just use the Amp.... Can ask BLKFIN though, he would know muucchh better than me (did the install!)

Old 08-22-2009, 11:48 PM
Forum Regular

Nice find, Max.

I might just have to make the stereo my next mod.

BTW - would I keep the caps if I upgraded to the Infiniti speakers?

Last edited by Jeff Cobb; 08-22-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff Cobb
Nice find, Max.

I might just have to make the stereo my next mod.

BTW - would I keep the caps if I upgraded to the Infiniti speakers?
I did. Sounds A-1! The Infinity Reference speakers have a much larger magnet than the OEM mids, and provide even more low end. I think they're needed.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:43 AM

I got mine installed today, its an OK deck. There isnt much you can do to configure the sound, no crossover, etc. I'm not really sure how the deck is "customized" to the setup of the car, I thought it would ask you what kind of car its being used in, or do a sound auto configure like Imprint, but it didnt do anything besides you put the cd in, it updates the deck, then you just push the Bongiovi button and be on your way. More limited than I expected...

For the money I would probably spend a little more and buy a decent Pioneer you can actually configure and less processing in the sound.

Last edited by Peterk; 08-23-2009 at 02:45 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:07 PM

Well I installed mine today. Looks and sounds pretty good. I wasn't able to get it to lock into place when I pushed it back in the slot. Is there something else I need to do? I also noticed the unit gets really warm (I popped the face off) after about 15 minutes of usage. Is this unusual?

Thanks.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by maxcichon
JVC KD-S100 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com?

If you get this head unit, a pair of Infinity 6022i speakers for free?
Max,

Just got mine installed and it really is a nice unit. When I ordered I got it for 109 shipped! What a steal for a $600 reciever.

Had a few installation problems at first but Blkfin got me on track.

I really do like the unit and am very happy with the sound quality, I can now finally run my IPOd in the car! Woohoo!

Old 09-02-2009, 02:29 PM

Max,

Just got mine installed and it really is a nice unit. When I ordered I got it for 109 shipped! What a steal for a $600 reciever.

Had a few installation problems at first but Blkfin got me on track.

I really do like the unit and am very happy with the sound quality, I can now finally run my IPOd in the car! Woohoo!
Good for you! Did you get (and install) the Infinity speakers? It makes a whole new step in sound quality.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Good for you! Did you get (and install) the Infinity speakers? It makes a whole new step in sound quality.
No didnt get the speakers still shopping for some. What sizes aer these again?

Any pics of the ones you put in? What model?

Thnx

Quick Reply: A nice freebie from Crutchfield