Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

A nice freebie from Crutchfield

Old 09-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: A nice freebie from Crutchfield

Originally Posted by nate_man
No didnt get the speakers still shopping for some. What sizes aer these again?

Any pics of the ones you put in? What model?

Thnx
Infinity Reference 6022i 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers For 6-1/2" and 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com

I put these in. As for prices:

Infinity Reference 6022i 6-1/2''/6-3/4'' 2-way Speakers - 6022I - Buy.com

This is $7 more than I paid. Infinity has a new model, so these are all close outs.

GREAT speaker. The mid-bass is awsome.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thesebastiancat
One question regarding installation.

Has anyone figure out how to mount this or any other DIN unit a bit farther back? The sleeve that comes with the radio makes it stick out more than I'd like. I tried test fitting it without the sleeve. If I push it back so that the trim ring just sits on the opening it looks a lot nicer. The problem is how to hold it in place? To use the sleeve I'd have to cut off the flange on the front that keeps it from going past the lip on the opening of the dash.

Way back when DIN radios were rare we used to use metal spring clips to install shafted radios into DIN openings of German cars. They worked the same way that the spring clips on the factory radio do. I asked at a local car stereo shop and Crutchfield but no one has seen these types of clips for years.

If anyone has any ideas for a trick mount I'd love to hear them.
When I installed my unit I could not figure out how to make the sleeve stay in place either. I tried bending the various tab on the sleeve but none would really bite into the plastic housing like the tabs on the OEM radio do along the side. What I ended up doing is getting a very small sheet metal screw and driving it between one of the gaps along the tab in the middle of the sleeve into the plastic housing. I chose the bottom to do this it appeared to have the most slop to slide my radio over the head of the screw. Worked pretty well.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by thesebastiancat
I just installed this unit in a 2005 crossfire Roadster.

I used the speaker outputs to connect. I had previously installed the JVC KD-LHX550 and the wiring for the KD-S100 is identical. I kept the trim ring from the LHX550 because the silver was a bit closer to the dash. You could also spray paint the one they provide although it is already a close match.

I did swap the constant power and switched power, (red and yellow wires), from the instructions that came with the harness they provide. I think the designations are correct for VWs but are backwards for our cars.

The display and file menus work fine with a flash drive. I don't have the iPod adapter yet. Anyone tried it with one? Having both the USB and the SD card slot lets me keep a set of all purpose music on the card and a changing playlist on the flash.

My only complaint is that it is imopossibe to read the display with the top down and the sun directly behind. I may try an anti-glare screen saver over the display. I agree that the unit sounds great with the DSP turned on.
I purchased the Ipod adapter and it works very well. The controls take a bit to get used to on the front panel that operate the Ipod, but I am satisfied with my purchase.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jag80
Well I installed mine today. Looks and sounds pretty good. I wasn't able to get it to lock into place when I pushed it back in the slot. Is there something else I need to do? I also noticed the unit gets really warm (I popped the face off) after about 15 minutes of usage. Is this unusual?

Thanks.
My unit gets warm also. I noticed this after ejecting a CD to put a different one in. The one I removed was pretty warm. One can only hope it was designed to operate like this.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by dkerns
Thank you RCROSFYR,

I think I will give it a shot and order it.

I came across this coupon code to drop the price another $20 if anyone else is interested in buying this unit. Not sure how long it will be good for. The code is 3a825. I put it in special offers/catalog block at the bottom of one of the pages when I entered the order.
I did purchase and install this unit in my Crossfire. I connected to the existing cabling and did not bypass the amp. I also installed the capacitors on the speakers in the door. It took a little over a hour to do both upgrades.

I think the radio sounds as good as the OEM radio. I actually was very please with the sound of the original radio but was not happy that it did not have an aux input for my satellite radio and Ipod. So the reason for my purchase was for the additional capability this radio offered at a very reasonable cost.

Since installing the capacitors the base is much cleaner and not muddy. After some tweaking of my base settings I think I can actually feel the woofers behind me.

I did miss this radio does not have any presets for radio stations and does not have the capability to display radio and song information on the display transmitted from the radio station. You can manually label the station but to me it is a pain. It also does not display the track data for CDs or the Ipod (I also purchased the Ipod adapter). Just a FYI in case you like those features.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dkerns
I did miss this radio does not have any presets for radio stations and does not have the capability to display radio and song information on the display transmitted from the radio station. You can manually label the station but to me it is a pain. It also does not display the track data for CDs or the Ipod (I also purchased the Ipod adapter). Just a FYI in case you like those features.
Umm sooo it has all of those abilities... lol read the manual...

Old 09-04-2009, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Kolme
Umm sooo it has all of those abilities... lol read the manual...
Maybe I should clarify the preset statement. What I meant to say was preset buttons on the front. You can set your stations but have to surf through them instead of just hitting a button.

I did miss the ID3 tag on/off for mp3 and wma, so I will check that out.

Still not sure that you can display the information for the radio stations and songs that are transmitted. If you know give me a clue. I did look through the manual several times.

Thanks