Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Alternate DIN head unit install ideas?

Old 08-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Alternate DIN head unit install ideas?

I'm on my second replacement head unit in my 2005 Roadster. Each unit that I've installed seemed to stick out of the dash a bit too much for my taste. The issue is that the mounting sleeve can't sit far enough back for the trim ring to be flush with the dash face. The sleeve is designed with a flange that sits on the dash opening and prevents the unit from fallin back into the dash.

I put the unit in without the sleeve and it is possible to position it back far enough that the trim ring looks a lot nicer. The probelm is how to secure the head unit in that position and center it in the opening?

Has any one figured out an alternate mounting method? I've thought about making some brackets that could screw into the head unit mounting holes and engage the slots in the dash. Anyone tried this?

I've also considered cutting the front flange off the sleeve so I can position it back farther and then screwing it in place from the inside. Has anyone used this method?

Then again, I could quit being so **** and just enjoy the tunes.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Alternate DIN head unit install ideas?

Originally Posted by thesebastiancat
I'm on my second replacement head unit in my 2005 Roadster. Each unit that I've installed seemed to stick out of the dash a bit too much for my taste. The issue is that the mounting sleeve can't sit far enough back for the trim ring to be flush with the dash face. The sleeve is designed with a flange that sits on the dash opening and prevents the unit from fallin back into the dash.

I put the unit in without the sleeve and it is possible to position it back far enough that the trim ring looks a lot nicer. The probelm is how to secure the head unit in that position and center it in the opening?

Has any one figured out an alternate mounting method? I've thought about making some brackets that could screw into the head unit mounting holes and engage the slots in the dash. Anyone tried this?

I've also considered cutting the front flange off the sleeve so I can position it back farther and then screwing it in place from the inside. Has anyone used this method?

Then again, I could quit being so **** and just enjoy the tunes.

Thanks for any suggestions.
when it's not in the sleeve and in the dash with the trim ring attached, does the unit actually move? mine didn't, so i left it without the trim ring...

Old 08-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Alternate DIN head unit install ideas?

Mine moves aound a bit. Maybe I'll just make some spacers to trap it in place.