Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Stock Amp is 4 channels!

Old 08-22-2018, 09:21 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: Stock Amp is 4 channels!

If you read it thru, Post 7 sets it right, as far as I can tell.
I'd have to go thru it extensively to be sure, and frankly, I'm too tired. It was one of THOSE days.

Of course, the EASY way is to replace the head unit and amp with modern stuff - and that way you get even better sound and performance.
That is what I did.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any recommendations on the "modern stuff"?
/Rich

Old 08-23-2018, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ambidextrous
Do you have any recommendations on the "modern stuff"?
/Rich
Anything you buy is going to run circles around the now-over-fifteen-year-old stuff in our cars. If you are willing to spend NOT a lot of money, you can walk away with better sound, Bluetooth compatibility, more power and all you could ask for.

I like Kenwood/JVC stuff, but I work there, so I am hardly an unbiased advisor.
Three years ago last month, I bought a discontinued JVC RD660 AM/FM/CD/USB head for $85 at Best Buy (same cost as thru the company discount program) and put it in my SE. Night and day difference over the factory stuff. Mine is a base, so I added wiring and rear speakers. I now have true four channel sound and the ability to drive the rears with base only - sounds SO much better.

Need to pick up a good amp and beef things up.... maybe I will when it goes below 80F outside...

Old 08-24-2018, 01:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did get the mod double din done and wired right with the per out base and going to add a amp for the tweeters so I can use the pre out mids and pre out tweeters on th HU, not to bad for a girl, A ! No one touch my Crossfire not even the better half!!!

Old 08-24-2018, 03:40 PM
Administrator

THAT is the way to do it...

Old 12-05-2018, 09:58 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it possible to do this mod and use single voice coil rear speakers or I need a new amp to do that?

Last edited by alexdc; 12-05-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by alexdc
Is it possible to do this mod and use single voice coil rear speakers or I need a new amp to do that?
Sure if you eliminate the bass speakers for the rear coil, but if you intend on keeping the bass speakers then yes you’ll need a bass amp...

Old 12-05-2018, 10:19 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LibraOct13

Sure if you eliminate the bass speakers for the rear coil, but if you intend on keeping the bass speakers then yes you’ll need a bass amp...
So I should keep the stock amp for the fronts and buy one for the rear? That would be the cheapest option? The only problem is that I want to keep everything stock except the speakers (adding an amp and wires is fine too) but I don't want to modify the basket or plastic trims just in case technology changes one day. I want future proof.

2nd option could be to buy to one 2 channel amp of the front and another for the back?

Last edited by alexdc; 12-05-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:39 PM
Forum Regular

on crutchfield it says that the I quote 'The factory speaker receives only bass frequencies, so any replacement speaker will only produce bass' about the Crossfire rear speaker. I'm confused now.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:41 PM
Forum Regular

I did get the mod double din done and wired right with the per out base and going to add a amp for the tweeters so I can use the pre out mids and pre out tweeters on th HU, not to bad for a girl, A ! No one touch my Crossfire not even the better half!!!
I think that's the best custom double din trim that I have seen yet. It looks great. It's cleaner.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:22 PM

So I should keep the stock amp for the fronts and buy one for the rear? That would be the cheapest option? The only problem is that I want to keep everything stock except the speakers (adding an amp and wires is fine too) but I don't want to modify the basket or plastic trims just in case technology changes one day. I want future proof.

2nd option could be to buy to one 2 channel amp of the front and another for the back?
Sounds like you got the idea, the amp in the car is 4 channels, the front door speakers and door tweeters are on the front 2 channels and there 2 bass speakers behind the seats are on the other 2... All I did was add a small tweeter amp for the door tweeters so I could use the low level out puts on the stereo this gave me more control over lows, mid’s and hi’s... if you are just adding a bass in the back it might be easiest to just ad a amp to the head unit off the bass output... But you could set it up anyway you like from adding to the amp to using 3 new amp, its all up to you... good luck on you project!
Mira

Old 12-06-2018, 12:22 AM
Forum Regular

Sounds like you got the idea, the amp in the car is 4 channels, the front door speakers and door tweeters are on the front 2 channels and there 2 bass speakers behind the seats are on the other 2... All I did was add a small tweeter amp for the door tweeters so I could use the low level out puts on the stereo this gave me more control over lows, mid’s and hi’s... if you are just adding a bass in the back it might be easiest to just ad a amp to the head unit off the bass output... But you could set it up anyway you like from adding to the amp to using 3 new amp, its all up to you... good luck on you project!
Mira
I just don't know much about audio so I'm scared to buy the wrong stuff.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:34 AM

Btw, The upgraded amplifier system in our Crossfire is known as a Horizontal Two-Channel, Bi-Amp configuration with an integrated Two-Way Active Dividing Network assembled in a neat, single package.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:33 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGNATUDE
Btw, The upgraded amplifier system in our Crossfire is known as a Horizontal Two-Channel, Bi-Amp configuration with an integrated Two-Way Active Dividing Network assembled in a neat, single package.
I am really glad to hear that, it puts my mind at ease. I will sleep better tonight just for knowing that.
LOL

Old 12-11-2018, 04:51 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MAGNATUDE
Is this a joke 😆. Or can you elaborate?

Old 12-11-2018, 08:33 PM

is this a joke 😆. Or can you elaborate?
@@@@!lmao!@@@@

Old 12-12-2018, 07:37 AM

Hey friends, The description does sound like a mouthful and somewhat amusing! I know! hard to believe, huh? LOL

This is one of the designs a company technician showed me when I visited the JBL/Harman International global headquarters in Northridge, California in the mid-nineties when I represented/worked for them. This was a period in time when aftermarket companies were just beginning to partner with auto manufacturers. This was also the time when I met 'the man', the founder, Dr. Sidney Harman (a Canuk) who, unbeknownst to me, who just so happened to live just six miles from me at the time when I lived near his Palos Verdes home.

As most everyone here knows that the factory Infinity amps in our Crossfire is from the Harman International group. Bi-amping the system helped by separating the high pass and low pass signals to accommodate high dynamics and transient passages especially in the bass region. Signals benefited from being clipped at high volumes, among other features involving speed sensors, saving the audio equipment from meltdown. I think the designers were thinking especially about the roadster owners' top down music enjoyment when they put the audio system together.

Without prejudice, this block diagram of the amp design might help some to visualize the two-channel stereo signal flow coming from the headunit.....
to the amplifier units' internal active dividing/crossover network that separates the Low Frequency effects from the High Frequency and Middle Frequencies.....

to where the signals are amplified by the two amps.....
then ending up at our speakers.

Thanks, everyone! Carry on!

Old 02-05-2019, 04:18 AM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I did this a couple of days ago. It was super easy to do and the result is amazing. Thanks so much!

(Pioneer SPH-DA130DAB Head Unit)

Old 02-15-2019, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by pschlan
I did this a couple of days ago. It was super easy to do and the result is amazing. Thanks so much!

(Pioneer SPH-DA130DAB Head Unit)
How did you make the 2DIN mod?
We appreciate pictures.

I replaced the original unit with cd error problem with a pioneer DEH-P7700MP with built in HP/LP to the front/back, until the CD player broke, tried some different models until I found it again used, and now have this setup again, it is just great , better sound than my commute car (Tesla).

And the silver facia with green illumination makes a nice fit! (In standard 1DIN)

DEH-P7700MP

Last edited by ilrenato; 02-15-2019 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:35 AM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

This is the current state. Still working on the button panel and have to re-paint because of some dents/scratches.

Quick Reply: Stock Amp is 4 channels!