Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

antenna adaptor on aftermarket radio

Old 10-27-2009, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default antenna adaptor on aftermarket radio

My radio reception in my new JVC HD radio HD-R50 is a giant step down from the reception I received from the Harman-Becker radio that came in the car. In my neighborhood I can receive only about 4 HD stations, none of which interest me. I can receive no AM stations, and formerly strong FM stations come in barely. I live in the Washington DC market with probably a dozen HD stations.

The Crutchfield folks have been sympathetic and helpful. They made sure I connected the pink cable in the harness to the blue powered antenna cable, which helped with consistency, but did not bring in as many stations as did the coat hanger that I stuck in the new radio's antenna plug. Crutchfiled even sent me a second Metra brand Euro antenna adaptor, when I suggested that the original they sent may have been defective.

I'm thinking that the Metra wire is not making perfect contact with the Crossfire's Euro style antenna plug and that maybe a Scoshe product would be better. I saw this one (pictured below) that actually has a power input that I could connect my pink wire to. Has anyone tried this Scoshe model, and do you think I'm on the right track. I hooked the Becker radio back up to the car, and it still has the great radio reception I enjoyed. It just doesn't have the flexibility, aux input and the usb port that I wanted.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA280_.jpg