Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Do I Need a filter for my aftermarket system?

Old 01-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I Need a filter for my aftermarket system?

I am looking to install an aftermarket radio in my '05 SRT6. Since I want Bluetooth capability, and want to add Sirius at the same time, my options are pretty limited. I went to the Crutchfield website, and ended up calling them....they were very helpful. Based on customer comments, though, I was turned off by the Pioneer units (controls are too sensitive). I ended up finding a great Sony head unit, however Crutchfield no longer offers it.

I ended up stopping at a rather high end car stereo shop today, and asked them for recommendations. They liked both Pioneer and Sony but then went on to say that with either head unit I would need a "line filter" between the outputs and the amp, to eliminate the ignition noise that would absolutely, positively be present. They claimed that the factory unit has a built in filter.

In perusing this forum, I see no mention of any need for such a filter. I suspect they are just looking for an extra $99 by telling me I need this item.

Anyone have any info??
Thanks,
ArizonaJohn