Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Speakers went bye bye

Old 10-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Speakers went bye bye

I have an '05 limited coupe and yesterday my speakers just went Kaput. I've had a wierd problem with them before. The speakers would crackle and sometimes cut out slightly when i turned hard to
the right.
I was hit on the driver side in an accident and had that door replaced so I figured maybe crossed wires but i popped out the the small door panel in front and checked the wires and they seem fine.
Since this happened whenever i turn the key to the first position the speakers crackle and while driving somtimes they will buzz but no radio sound will come out.
There are alot of speaker wires running about from what i have read so far in this forum so i guess im asking if someone knows the best place to start.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Speakers went bye bye

Does it only happen while listening to the radio or does it also happen while listening to a CD?

If the wires on the speaker end are secured, the next step would be to check the connections at the amplifier. Make sure all the connections at the amplifier are secure and undamaged, especially the ground wire/connection. An improper ground can cause problems like the ones you are describing. If the connections on the amplifier are secured, the next step would be to check the location which the amplifier is grounded to the body. Again, check that it is secured, undamaged and without corrosion.

Next, you can check to see if the speakers are damaged, however, if all the speakers have the same problem, it is most likely not the speakers that are the root of the problem. The easiest way to check to see if the speakers are damaged is to grab a multimeter and check the resistance on the coils. Basically, set the multimeter setting to resistance or ohms (Ω), then put the probes on the corresponding wire. The stock speakers are 4 ohms I believe so a reading between 3.0-5.0 ohms is acceptable. If you get a very large reading(infinity) then you know the speaker is damaged.

If all of these check out, it is possible that there is an internal problem with the amplifier or there is something wrong with your head unit.