Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Torque Pro for Android

Old 01-25-2013, 01:43 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Pro for Android

So I didn't see a thread on this so I thought I would share. I felt like experimenting so I ordered a bluetooth obdII adapter from Amazon for $25 and got Torque Pro from the Android store for $5. So far I have to say I like it, it gives a lot of valuable statistics on the xfire that can easily replace having to get a custom made gauge pod. I'll submit a better screen shot at a later date, I'm still trying to figure out what I can actually get from the ECU. There's easily 100 options to choose from. Also you can use this as a code reader in case your engine light comes on. I hope some people can get some use out of this.

*edit*
Torque Pro and retrieve these on a 05 limited 6spd
Fuel System Status
Engine Load
Coolant Temp
short/long fuel trim for banks 1+2
intake pressure
RPM
Intake Temp
Speed GPS/ECU
Timing Advance
MAF flow rate
throttle position
secondary air status
o2 sensor voltage

and a few others that are pretty much trip meters.

Hope this helps!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Torque Pro.jpg (152.4 KB, 417 views)

Last edited by Selbyl; 01-25-2013 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Added readings app can pull up.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:34 AM
Default Re: Torque Pro for Android

This is great, and cheap also. Now i only need to find one of my old smartphone's, and put it in a nice place with continues power.
Do you have a Link on witch one to order on Amazon?

Great find! keep us updated on your results.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:56 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've got my horses hitched to this wagon too..

OBD adapter should be in Monday. I haven't ever used "smart phones" but have gotten one off Ebay for 30 bucks and been playing with Torque Pro the last couple of nights. "Speed" related data won't be available without a data plan since it uses GPS tracking for that. (Educated guess right now)

The phone I got does have wifi.. I do have a AT&T wifi system also battery powered.. so might be able to do a few runs with it in the car and get some times from it that way.

Looks like it also does data logging.

Also bought my adapter on Ebay.. about 14 bucks and US seller with warranty. Already have a PC bluetooth adapter and this comes with some PC software that might be worth looking at.

Here we go..

Last edited by Mrmiata; 01-25-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:46 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by D&NIS
This is great, and cheap also. Now i only need to find one of my old smartphone's, and put it in a nice place with continues power.
Do you have a Link on witch one to order on Amazon?

Great find! keep us updated on your results.
Here's the adapter I used
BAFX Products (TM) - ELM 327 Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light and other diagnostics - Android compatible : Amazon.com : Automotive BAFX Products (TM) - ELM 327 Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light and other diagnostics - Android compatible : Amazon.com : Automotive
Only took about 10 days to get it to Guam.

I also had it running on my tablet but during an update the tablet became bricked, so now I just have my phone.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:12 PM

here's a few hands on reviews..

Torque Pro Android App - Replace Gauges? - NASIOC

Old 01-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Thanks for sharing man. The baud rate in the xfire seems alright. It's not fast enough to fully replace a tachometer or speedometer but I think it works pretty well for everything else. I'm going to a muffler shop next weekend to get a pipe bent for a new CAI. I'll post new screenshots of IAT and Coolant temps when it's all done. Throttle body might be next month, and I'm also doing an oil change and switching to Royal Purple. I have the super cooler additive in the radiator and didn't notice a change but that might have to do with my intake temp. I also put Royal Purple 5w-20 in the tranny and it's really smooth.

It could be that I have really old filters but once the filters get heat soaked my intake temp is 140-150F and it's 80F year round here.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:55 PM

Figured that link would give everyone a real good idea of the system. Great for us "weekend tuners".. lol. Got my adapter in the mail today and hooked it up to play a little.. Wished I'd have had it before my 74mm upgrade! Should be good for mod upgrade comparing anyways. Now I'm going to have to sneak the wifi out of the house for the GPS tracking and times.. LOL

Oh..one more thing.. After having the car a year and finally going the TB upgrade.. well the little giggle is back when accelerating.. lol. Its not "night and day" difference.. but you can definately tell.

Last edited by Mrmiata; 01-26-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:39 AM
Forum Regular

Since we're on the subject of software I came across a copy of Carsoft v7.4 which supports all Merceds engines before 2004 I believe. I'm not sure if it will work for out car but it's "free"
Carsoft MB 7.4 (download torrent) - TPB

The one nice thing I saw is that you can reset the service meter and even adjust the counter for it. It seems a lot easier than waiting for the stars and planets to align so you can reset it manually. Bluetooth ODBII adapaters use the same protocol so once you figure out the COM port you're good to go.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:17 PM

Figured that link would give everyone a real good idea of the system. Great for us "weekend tuners".. lol. Got my adapter in the mail today and hooked it up to play a little.. Wished I'd have had it before my 74mm upgrade! Should be good for mod upgrade comparing anyways. Now I'm going to have to sneak the wifi out of the house for the GPS tracking and times.. LOL

Oh..one more thing.. After having the car a year and finally going the TB upgrade.. well the little giggle is back when accelerating.. lol. Its not "night and day" difference.. but you can definately tell.
There are two kinds of location tracking on Android: "Wireless Assisted" which uses the location of known wi-fi networks as well as the wireless chipset's knowledge of where cell phone towers are and "GPS Satellites," which really does use the GPS satellites like a real GPS receiver.

All phones should have the GPS option regardless of if they're activated - I don't know of any Android phones that were ever made without a GPS receiver. Tablets and media players are a different story - most of those don't have one.

If you have the GPS Satellites option enabled in the location settings, you should be able to track your location without any cellular or Wi-Fi service.

I use a LG Optimus S that's been deactivated for years to run Torque Pro and I can track my speed and time just fine via GPS.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:21 PM

Well thanks for the heads up!

Same deactivated phone I got off Ebay.. LOL

Old 01-27-2013, 04:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there an equivalent for iPhone?

Old 01-28-2013, 10:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the app and bought the cheapest OBDII bluetooth I could find on Amazon and it works fine.. though the 0-60 timing and all that is a little ambitious, methinks:

Stock 6spd... Maybe I just had a really really good launch?

Old 01-28-2013, 10:41 AM

I had a good lunch and my numbers weren't that good! LOL.

I figure it will be good for upgrade performance increase testing at worst case. Wet this morning so didn't get to check 0-60 etc. on the way to work..

Beats a trip to the dyno to see how those K&N's are working..

Old 01-29-2013, 11:52 PM

Hey.. do you guys get the AFR reading on yours? Gotta admit the intake CFM and Temp readings really have me wanting to do some playing around..

Old 01-30-2013, 12:08 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rayth
I have the app and bought the cheapest OBDII bluetooth I could find on Amazon and it works fine.. though the 0-60 timing and all that is a little ambitious, methinks:

Great numbers, but I agree -- just a wee-bit ambitious. Fastest stock 6-speed that I've seen was 14.40

Still a neat toy!

Old 01-30-2013, 12:47 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by rayth

Must be running out of steam at 60mph, as took over a second to get to 62.137mph.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:34 AM
Forum Regular

Hey.. do you guys get the AFR reading on yours? Gotta admit the intake CFM and Temp readings really have me wanting to do some playing around..
I haven't gotten AFR to work but I've noticed my IAT reaching near 150 after I've been driving a while. The only proof I needed to tell my wife I need a CAI.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:52 PM

Here we go.. Now we're cooking with Gas!

Forums — » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / IdeasTorque

Old 03-10-2013, 04:35 AM
Forum Regular

Update: for people who like to modify android phones!
I'm usually updating my Galaxy SIII (International) every week or so and I experiment with different ROMS. Anyways, I've tried using cyanogenmod which is based off JB 4.2.2 and the bluetooth with pair with the ODBII adapter but Torque won't connect. I've also tried using the Revolution 4.2.1 ROM and it doesn't work, best bet is to stick with Revolution 4.1.2 or other "stock" like ROMs until the bluetooth gets figured out.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Forum Regular

just a quick question what all options do we need wifi for ?

Quick Reply: Torque Pro for Android