Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Familiar Starting Problem

Old 12-28-2015, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Familiar Starting Problem

As experienced by other members, my 2006 Ltd Convertible stopped dead (as if out of gas)even though there was fuel. The dealer went through the "sell parts" routine and replaced the fuel sending unit (didn't help), then replaced the engine control module (sensor) and the car runs fine but now the gas gauge doesn't work. The dealer wants to replace the dashboard cluster. I said no. I don't want to have the dashboard torn apart just to pay for another expensive part.

Here are my guesses but, I will greatly appreciate any input or suggestions:

1) Maybe the programming was not done right when they did the work on the fuel system.

2) Other posts have said installing updated parts in the fuel system causes issues unless you replace fuel pump, fuel lines, etc.

3) Dealer says the module is sending signal to the gauge, but he gauge is not receiving -- but I know from other posts that Crossfire gas gauge problems are not uncommon, maybe it's unrelated to the work they've done.

Thanks for any help.
Chili

Old 12-28-2015, 11:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Familiar Starting Problem

Sounds like the dealer broke the sending unit. Based on what you said, they replaced the sending unit and NOW the gauge doesn't work.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:55 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

What kind of diagnosis is it anyway when the mechanic determines a fuel level sending unit is responsible for a motor stopping ?

Old 12-29-2015, 09:24 AM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
What kind of day diagnosis is it anyway when the mechanic determines a fuel level sending unit is responsible for a motor stopping ?
He said , sending unit, I could take that as meaning the fuel pump, he never mentioned the word level. That does not explain the gauge not working though. There again that does not tie in with anything.
A scan of the bill may tell if this is true. Where the word sensor came from could be the CPS. A confusing account of what was fixed does not help. Dealers like to baffle people and hike the bill up and up.
Update
Reading all this again has confused me even more. I cannot see where his items 1 and. 2 make any sense. Item 3 is hardly worth replacing the dash for. My advice is to go somewhere else.
I give up.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-29-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:51 AM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by chili
As experienced by other members, my 2006 Ltd Convertible stopped dead (as if out of gas)even though there was fuel. The dealer went through the "sell parts" routine and replaced the fuel sending unit (didn't help), then replaced the engine control module (sensor) and the car runs fine but now the gas gauge doesn't work. The dealer wants to replace the dashboard cluster. I said no. I don't want to have the dashboard torn apart just to pay for another expensive part.

1) Maybe the programming was not done right when they did the work on the fuel system.

2) Other posts have said installing updated parts in the fuel system causes issues unless you replace fuel pump, fuel lines, etc.

3) Dealer says the module is sending signal to the gauge, but he gauge is not receiving -- but I know from other posts that Crossfire gas gauge problems are not uncommon, maybe it's unrelated to the work they've done.

Thanks for any help.
Chili
where in Florida. I have two shops,, My sponsors that work on my and other crossfires all the time. one in Ft Lauderdale and of course J S Benz in Miami. discount for being a member of this forum jim

Old 12-30-2015, 02:10 PM

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it.

To clarify a bit -- the dealer first replaced the fuel level unit which is part #5127430AA and a fuel pump seal #5101733AA (they said they were bad, but it did not help the car to start), then replaced what they call a relay (I call it an engine control module) Part #5099007AA and the car started and runs but the gas gauge does not work.

In a 2006 with 15,000 miles (I live in Naples FL. where people often live part of the year and let cars sit for long periods) the fuel pump seal could have been bad. But it seems to me from what I've read on this forum the problem may have been the relay (maybe a solder point) to begin with. I still think I should be able to get a gas gauge to work without tearing up the dashboard. Anyone disagree?

Thanks again,
Greg

Old 12-30-2015, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by pioneer4x4
Sounds like the dealer broke the sending unit. Based on what you said, they replaced the sending unit and NOW the gauge doesn't work.
Thanks pioneer. I think you're right. By the way, I live in FL but I'm from Pgh

Old 12-30-2015, 04:07 PM

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it.

To clarify a bit -- the dealer first replaced the fuel level unit which is part #5127430AA and a fuel pump seal #5101733AA (they said they were bad, but it did not help the car to start), then replaced what they call a relay (I call it an engine control module) Part #5099007AA and the car started and runs but the gas gauge does not work.

In a 2006 with 15,000 miles (I live in Naples FL. where people often live part of the year and let cars sit for long periods) the fuel pump seal could have been bad. But it seems to me from what I've read on this forum the problem may have been the relay (maybe a solder point) to begin with. I still think I should be able to get a gas gauge to work without tearing up the dashboard. Anyone disagree?

Thanks again,
Greg
I checked the numbers and they did replace the fuel level sending unit, the other parts were the gasket for the sending unit and the Relay Control Module (RCM).
Why the sending unit was replaced is a mystery and if they replaced it and the gauge worked before it should work now.
I think that the dealer figures if you can live part time in Naples then you can afford to help him put his kids through Yale.
Get them to fix the connections to the sending unit or what ever it was they did. They would have a hard time explaining this to someone in the know.
The RCM could have been probably fixed by someone handy with a soldering iron for nothing. I guess you paid around $300 for a new one, plus labor and taxes.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I checked the numbers and they did replace the fuel level sending unit, the other parts were the gasket for the sending unit and the Relay Control Module (RCM).
Why the sending unit was replaced is a mystery and if they replaced it and the gauge worked before it should work now.
I think that the dealer figures if you can live part time in Naples then you can afford to help him put his kids through Yale.
Get them to fix the connections to the sending unit or what ever it was they did. They would have a hard time explaining this to someone in the know.
The RCM could have been probably fixed by someone handy with a soldering iron for nothing. I guess you paid around $300 for a new one, plus labor and taxes.
And the new one might have the same fault in it, correct?

Old 12-30-2015, 05:19 PM

Thanks pioneer. I think you're right. By the way, I live in FL but I'm from Pgh
Cool, on both. Where in PGH where you from. There are a lot of 'burghers in Fl. Pittsburgh is consistently one of the best places to live, and one of the best places to leave...
I may be in Fl in February, taking my daughter and wife to Universal for a Harry Potter fix.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by pioneer4x4
And the new one might have the same fault in it, correct?
Hopefully not, the problem was known to SLK owners before the Crossfire problem came on the scene. The fix to the three solder connections was known and was copied.
Mercedes would have been blind not to have picked up on the problem, so I assume the later ones have been fixed.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Hopefully not, the problem was known to SLK owners before the Crossfire problem came on the scene. The fix to the three solder connections was known and was copied.
Mercedes would have been blind not to have picked up on the problem, so I assume the later ones have been fixed.
I guess it depends on how long that part has been sitting on a shelf.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:46 PM

I'll find out soon when I have the dealer's work (both the fuel parts and the sensor) checked by another mechanic who knows what they're doing.

For Pioneer -- I live in Naples, Fl but I grew up in Clairton, Pa.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:57 PM

I'll find out soon when I have the dealer's work (both the fuel parts and the sensor) checked by another mechanic who knows what they're doing.

For Pioneer -- I live in Naples, Fl but I grew up in Clairton, Pa.
See if you get a parts warranty, and as for Clariton, I used to know someone on Paine Hill, and would go snowmobiling and dirt biking there.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:17 PM

Forum contributors I am sorry to say the saga continues. My fuel gauge still does not work. I had an independent shop test the fuel sending unit that the Chrysler dealer put in and they confirmed the part is good. They could not check the programming because Chrysler software is needed for that so I went back to the dealer and they rechecked all their work INCLUDING the programming (at no cost)and said everything was done right. They want to replace the dashboard cluster.

The gauge worked before the car stopped dead. The replacement of the fuel level sending unit and the engine control module have it running great except for the gauge. The dealer wants to replace the dashboard cluster unit and I said no! That part is expensive, hard to find and all of the other gauges work. Surely there is simpler answer.

HELP!! The car is terrific cosmetically, has only 17,000 miles and is fun to drive. I don't want to give up on it unless it's a money pit.
Chili

Old 02-11-2016, 08:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forum contributors I am sorry to say the saga continues. My fuel gauge still does not work. I had an independent shop test the fuel sending unit that the Chrysler dealer put in and they confirmed the part is good. They could not check the programming because Chrysler software is needed for that so I went back to the dealer and they rechecked all their work INCLUDING the programming (at no cost)and said everything was done right. They want to replace the dashboard cluster.

The gauge worked before the car stopped dead. The replacement of the fuel level sending unit and the engine control module have it running great except for the gauge. The dealer wants to replace the dashboard cluster unit and I said no! That part is expensive, hard to find and all of the other gauges work. Surely there is simpler answer.

HELP!! The car is terrific cosmetically, has only 17,000 miles and is fun to drive. I don't want to give up on it unless it's a money pit.
Chili
The question you should have asked them is if my fuel gauge was working when it came in why did you replace it.?

Old 02-11-2016, 10:31 PM

Thanks for any help.
Chili
You have been here since last year, I have been here since 2005 and both of your statements about updating the fuel pump, fuel lines as well as problems with the fuel sending unit are false. A few problems may have occurred with these parts but nothing like you say.
Is it possible that the plugs on the fuel sender are on the wrong way? That makes some sense to me.
One plug is for the level and another for the pressure.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-11-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:06 AM

Thanks Aero -- I'll have the plugs checked. Just to clarify, what I wrote are not my statements. They are what I'ver read on line or what have been suggested by others much more mechanically inclined than me. I am happy to eliminate any possibility that is not really a possibility.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:13 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Who is "Aero" ?
Don't see any user name like that on this thread ......
are you referring to onehundred80 ?
aka 180
aka Dave
aka King of the Frozen North
aka the Cranky Canuk
aka the Caliph of Calendon
aka the Oracle of Ontario

Last edited by ala_xfire; 02-13-2016 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:09 AM
Received 188 Likes on 156 Posts

Probably referring to 180, his signature is Aero Blue.

Quick Reply: Familiar Starting Problem