Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Melted The Plastic Connector to Factory Amp - Suggestions? (Or just a pinout?)

Old 06-11-2017, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Melted The Plastic Connector to Factory Amp - Suggestions? (Or just a pinout?)

About a month ago, after a heavy rainstorm, I started up my 2004 Xfire Coupe and was treated to the shocking sight of GALLONS of water pouring into my passenger seat footwell.

It turned out to be just gunk plugging up the drain-holes below the windshield, exactly as described in this post:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...mpartment.html

So I cleared the gunk out and replaced the blower motor, etc. - that all went OK. But apparently the water short-circuited my amplifier in a BIG way, because when I pulled it out I saw that the plastic connector between the wiring harness and the amplifier had literally melted, and was full of oxidized copper slag. (How did this not blow a fuse, I wonder?)

Anyway. I'm handy with electronics but I don't really want to solder two new harness-plug onto every wire in the two harnesses. I might just do a DIY hack and run the output from the head unit directly into the speakers, if I can figure out which wires I need to connect.

Does anyone have a pinout for those two connectors? I did search the posts on aftermarket amps, but they seem to assume that you can plug into the car's existing harness (not an option for me).

Alternatively, if anyone has a better idea for how to get a working stereo again I'm all ears. I am not an audiophile.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
plug1.jpg (956.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg
plug3.jpg (749.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 06-11-2017, 08:53 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Melted The Plastic Connector to Factory Amp - Suggestions? (Or just a pinout?)

How's this :

Old 06-12-2017, 12:39 AM
Default Re: Melted The Plastic Connector to Factory Amp - Suggestions? (Or just a pinout?)

[QUOTE=ala_xfire;888827]How's this :

Oh hey thanks!... I saw that chart but I assumed it was just a block diagram. I see now that there are colors indicated on each lead but the two large horizontal boxes have more connections than there are on the plug/sockets.

I notice at the bottom of the page there's connection for the Body Control Module, Antilock Brakes. Are those really routed through the audio amplifier for some reason?(!)

I just bought a used stock amp on eBay and I'll see if I can make it work with the existing mess. Otherwise I guess I'll be doing my best impersonation of every cop movie where they're trying to decide which wire to cut...

Old 06-12-2017, 03:01 AM

body control module = louder with top down on roadsters
antilock brakes = speed sensor, louder when above some unknown ( to me ) speed.

Sorry, that diagram is all I have ever seen.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:19 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
body control module = louder with top down on roadsters
antilock brakes = speed sensor, louder when above some unknown ( to me ) speed.

Sorry, that diagram is all I have ever seen.
I understood that the radio volume goes up relative to the speed increase.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Me too, hence the reference to the ABS signal ......

Old 06-12-2017, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Huh. I never even noticed that the Crossfire had that feature.

So the amp just takes a control voltage from one or both sending-units? I've got it unplugged entirely right now and it didn't throw any error codes. Do you think it's OK to connect a new amplifier and just cap off those wires, if necessary?

Old 06-12-2017, 09:46 AM

Sure, they are not needed.