Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Amp overheating? (and speaker rattles)

Old 06-03-2020, 02:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation Amp overheating? (and speaker rattles)

Greetings everyone! I recently developed some speaker rattle in my Crossfire, as I presume the older lady who I bought the car from never listened to the radio with the bass cranked up! The rattles are located in the passenger side door woofer, and the drivers side subwoofer. However, after painstakingly taking apart the door panel, shaking the physical speaker to assure there was no rattle, and putting everything back together, the rattle still persists. Everything was as tight as I could get it, so I'm still not sure what that could be. Same thing with the drivers subwoofer. The rattle was so unbearable I actually unplugged it and didn't use it altogether. Even after tearing the sub out of the car, inspecting it, and putting it back in, the ear piercing rattle is still there. I wasn't exactly sure what to do, so I decided to take it to a local audio shop yesterday to have them help me diagnose the problem, when I ran into a completely different problem altogether! My radio wouldn't play anything! When I turned on the stereo it would flip through stations and read the cd I had in it like normal but simply no sound would come out. After apologizing for wasting the shops time I took the car back home defeated. I did some research on the topic in these very forums that night as well. Now that it is the next day, I get into the car and low and behold, the stereo works like nothing ever happened. However, after about 2 minutes of play, it simply cut out and never turned back on. I'm assuming this means the amp is overheating? What could I do to fix these issues? Whatever you think it may be, please let me know so I can try out your suggestions! Thank you everyone for the continued help and support!