Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Constant Battery Warning Light While Driving

Old 06-13-2022, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Constant Battery Warning Light While Driving

(Please note that I'm not a mechanic and my potential guesses of the problem's origin may be completely wrong and/or illogical.)

For the past week or so when I drive, the battery light indicator stays lit the whole time. My crossfire is my summer car so I replaced my battery a month ago for the summer so I can pretty much guarantee that the battery is not the issue. What I'm concerned about is that the alternator may be bad or the entire electrical system is open or feeding too much electricity into other parts of the car. I also fear that I'm only running on battery power when driving and the running engine is no longer charging the battery. I was doing some research earlier about Crossfires having a parasitic draw problem in the electrical system but I don't think that is the case either since my car starts without a problem. I'll check my battery voltage later this week to make sure this isn't the issue. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem before and has found a solution.

Old 06-13-2022, 06:08 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts
Default Re: Constant Battery Warning Light While Driving

First, the parasitic drain problem is usually the batteries leaking in the siren under the cowl in front of the windshield. Use the search feature at the top of the page. To check your alternator, use a voltmeter and check it not running and running. If the voltage is higher when running it means the alternator is working. Did you clean all of the connecters, including where the ground cable connects to the front fender? I will post a link to help with problems.

The following users liked this post:
civil_wrongz (06-24-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 06:09 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Lots of valuable info here.

Index of Crossfire problems and repairs - CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

Old 06-15-2022, 10:28 PM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

When the my battery light was on, I already knew what it was, the alternator, I replaced mine and away went that problem.

Old 06-16-2022, 08:11 PM
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

For those who really want to dig deep and have proper lifts, the alternators in these cars have brushes that will wear out over time and those brushes can be replaced very cheaply... way cheaper than buying a new or refurbished alternator. The alternator is generally just fine but the brushes wore down. I watched a couple of videos on Youtube about brush replacement in these alternators and it is pretty easy... If ya can get the car up and get the alternator out safely. A new brush kit is cheap, a new alternator is $.

Old 06-17-2022, 06:42 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/271221178023

Old 06-17-2022, 08:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My lower alt bolt was beyond seized. Once it sheared and I dremeled out the alt, I removed the remaining stud with stainless steel double nuts, and the secret was torching then paraffin wax. No amount of pb blaster and torching would work, and after the wax a few back and forths it broke free.

Old 06-17-2022, 12:51 PM
Received 388 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Deepsea21
For those who really want to dig deep and have proper lifts,.....

Do you really need a 'lift' to access the alternator? How about a couple of ramps? Will that work in place of a lift?