Canada Serving Canada.

Light Switch Wiring Diagram - DRLs

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Light Switch Wiring Diagram - DRLs

Hey Everyone;
I just joined this site last week and didn't know their was a Canadian forum.
See https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=31142
Anyway, as you know, we have DRL's in Canada. What you may not know is that while it is law that all new cars sold in Canada must have DRL's, their is no law that enforces the use of them. True!
I made a big thing about this years ago and ended up writing an article about it for the Toronto Star "Wheels" section. As the President of the Canadian Volvo Club (yes my other cars are Volvo's) I was miffed to find out that I couldn't turn off the DRL's on Canadian Volvo's. I argued that when stopped in someone's driveway, parked on a side street, or any other situation when DRL's would be of no help from a safety standpoint, I would want the choice to turn them off when the engine was running. The article spurred comments from police forces as well when doing surveillance work they too wanted to turn off DRL's but I digress. To my point, I ended up getting the wiring diagram for the light switch of our Volvo 850 and knowing how to read a wiring diagram, discovered that if one specific wire was cut in the harness, the DRL's would be disengaged. My "fix" was posted on a number of Volvo web sites and became common practice among car club members as word got around. This is usually the case between American and Canadian models of given makes. It's usually just one additional wire the Canadian switches have. I have read on this site about folks purchasing the American light switch as an easy fix, but that costs $$$. If someone can provide a schematic or wiring diagram of the Canadian Crossfire, specifically the headlamp switch, this could be a very easy modification.
Just for the record, I advocate the use of DRL's as a safety precaution and don't suggest driving without them. But when attending meets, car shows or the like, or just parked on the side of the road, I want to be able to turn them off!.
Anyone got a wiring diagram?
TIA

Old 01-27-2009, 02:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Light Switch Wiring Diagram - DRLs

Om my Van and Pickup when I kick down the parking/emergecy brake the lights go out, will try with the Crossfire next time I connect the battery

Old 02-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

If you go to the following site you can see the whole shop manual, it is a good idea to down load it for later use. The wiring diagrams are all there, it is my understanding that the DTRL feature is programmable, buying light switches is a con job.
My son was stopped by the police for not having DTRL's due to a broken relay. Maybe they stopped him using that as a pretense who knows.
I am not a `green' person but maybe you just turn the engine off when the car is just sitting there. Saves gas they say, but I would not know.
http://www.majormotorshotrods.com/_d...ice_Manual.pdf

Old 02-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the link, much appreciated! Yes, you can always turn the engine off to disable the DRL's as does putting the transmission into park usually disables DRL's as well. Their are exceptions however like attending car shows, meets, show & shines when driving that I want to be able to turn them off.