Canada Serving Canada.

Southern Ontario Meet Suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:13 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default May 8th - Canadian Transportation Museum Meet

I want to organize a meet, similar to what we did this past summer (Legendary Motors Day) for spring 2010. I figure by then we will be all anxious to meet up and enjoy our Crossfires. What would folks think of attending the Canadian Transportation Museum in Kingsville? Canadian Transportation Museum & Heritage Village
The downside (for some) is that is would be a minimum 3hr drive from the GTA. There and back is a big chunk of the day, however isn't that what we want to do......drive!
The day could start early, meeting somewhere for a brunch, say around Waterloo County, leaving another two hours to get to Kingsville. If done on a Saturday, you might want to consider staying over night and returning Sunday, whatever.

Feedback and suggestions welcome....

Last edited by user 8202; 03-13-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Southern Ontario Meet Suggestion

Well it is a 4 hour drive for me and I will be there! I enjoyed the day at Legendary Motors last year, and all the other events that I made it to.

I was reading the web site and they have some events, cruses, breakfast, and lunches on weekends that might be of interest for us to show up to. For them to have 10 or so crossfires just show up unannounced will turn a few heads!

Good suggestion Tony

Old 01-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that would be a real long drive for me have a great meet Beaner

Old 01-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tony,this is a great idea......when do you envision this happening?if it is in june...we could do your idea on saturday...then for those who are able,spend the night in detroit.there are some great restaurants in greek town in downtown detroit.
on sunday we could go to the town of ypsalanti to their annual car show that draws in some of the finest "orphan cars"in the area.you will see cars that you will not see anywhere else.ie metropolitians,packard darrins,many old hudsons....an occasional tucker.it takes place in a beautiful park beside a small river in an historic part of town.it takes place during the first couple of weeks in june....usually the first sunday.
just an idea ,if it fits into your time frame. either way i am in for what ever happens.
great idea....by spring we will all be itching to get our cars out...and tops down.
gryfan

Old 01-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Banned

when do you envision this happening
I'm thinking late April or May before the long weekend. IMO after May 24th, you are competing with everything else in our lives including kids out of school, cottages, other car meets, I'm thinking the sooner the better. April we have the risk of rain but things usually turn out nicely on or around Mother's day it seems. When I get the time, I'll try and get the "probable rain dates by statistics" and nail a weekend that is likely going to be sunny.
Here is some trivia.....the organizers of the annual Toronto Indy Race (back when it was called that) did research before the series started regarding probable rain dates in Toronto during the summer months. If my memory serves me, the race is usually the second week in July. Sure enough, on race day (Sunday) every year they have come to Toronto, they have had an overwhelming success with sunshine, in fact, I can't ever remember the race in the rain. Qualifying yes, but not on race day. True story!

Old 01-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Banned

Giving this further thought and looking at some confusing rain data from Environment Canada...I'm suggesting the weekend of May 8th (9th is Mothers Day) or the following weekend of May 15th/16th.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Cool Re: Southern Ontario Meet Suggestion

Originally Posted by tonygg
Sure enough, on race day (Sunday) every year they have come to Toronto, they have had an overwhelming success with sunshine, in fact, I can't ever remember the race in the rain. Qualifying yes, but not on race day. True story!

I hate to 'rain' on your parade Tony but I was at a race when they had a lot of rain; I checked with my friend and we believe it was the 2007 race. However, you are right, all the other years that I have gone, the weather has been great.

Not sure I am going to make any Southern Ontario GTG this year as I won't have my Xfire here and it wouldn't quite be the same hanging out with you guys without the Xfire. I know you guys will all have a great time just the same.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by mbepic
Not sure I am going to make any Southern Ontario GTG this year as I won't have my Xfire here and it wouldn't quite be the same hanging out with you guys without the Xfire. I know you guys will all have a great time just the same.
What do you mean you won't have your xfire here? Where is you car going to be?

Old 01-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Cool Re: Southern Ontario Meet Suggestion

Originally Posted by Beaner
What do you mean you won't have your xfire here? Where is you car going to be?

Beaner, the Xfire has been in Phoenix Arizona since October; In the foreseeable future, it is going to remain there for winter use. We are in transit right now and by Tues., I should be getting new tires and installing the new front spoiler and then driving it.

The plan is to leave it down there during the summer time. I know it seems odd but that is the plan for now.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

I want to organize a meet, similar to what we did this past summer (Legendary Motors Day) for spring 2010. I figure by then we will be all anxious to meet up and enjoy our Crossfires. What would folks think of attending the Canadian Transportation Museum in Kingsville? Canadian Transportation Museum & Heritage Village
The downside (for some) is that is would be a minimum 3hr drive from the GTA. There and back is a big chunk of the day, however isn't that what we want to do......drive!
The day could start early, meeting somewhere for a brunch, say around Waterloo County, leaving another two hours to get to Kingsville. If done on a Saturday, you might want to consider staying over night and returning Sunday, whatever.

Feedback and suggestions welcome....
They close at 2pm according to what I read, leave my place at 10.00 and I would be there to see them close the doors. So we would have to leave at 7.30 at the latest I suppose. We are normally coming home from clubbing at that time.
Google Map gives me 359 k. and 4 hours 7mins driving time.

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-17-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Banned

They close at 2pm according to what I read
The home page is a little confusing and I would phone to confirm, but they list a number of hours that also includes guided tours beginning at 2p.m. with "Summer Hours" listed as 9a.m. to 4p.m.
Regardless, it looks like your out due to the long distance (unless you decided to do an over niter, which is what I'm thinking)?

I would like to see a minimum 6-8 committed and have three including myself interested so far. I'm just throwing this out as a suggestion and am willing to organize, but as my original post already mentioned, the driving is a big chunk of the day.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:47 PM

... Regardless, it looks like your out due to the long distance (unless you decided to do an over niter, which is what I'm thinking)?
Well I will not be doing an "over niter" but I can make a full day out of it and drive home late in the evening. I am not afraid of the dark!

Old 01-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm interested!

Old 01-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Banned

Date Planned: Saturday, May 8th
Breakfest / Lunch attentively planned for 10a.m. in the town of Woodstock.
Woodstock is the half way point from the GTA to our destination. ( Someone can suggest a pub/eatery?)
It would take appoximately 2.5 hrs from Woodstock to arrive at the transportation museum.
After the museum visit, we could then decide to call it a day or proceed to another location. Whatever.

List of those interested to date:

Tonygg (Tony)
Beaner (Bryan)
Gryfan (Nick & Beth)
BlueCoupe (Steve & Daniela)
Onehundred80 (Dave)
Angelospinner (Angelo)
Cydetrak (Sean)
Lorne (Lorne)
Norm (Norm)

Last edited by user 8202; 01-22-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Forum Regular

tony, did you get my e-mail to contact pierre?i am asking in this form is because i want to make sure you got it the other way.
gryfan

Old 01-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Banned

tony, did you get my e-mail
Didn't get it....do I know Pierre? I don't have his email...

Old 01-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Forum Regular

tony, he is one of the two guys that live near you some,place.he travels with norm,who also has an x-fire.they both have roadsters.pierre works at the nuclear power station.both guys have aero blue roadsters....and they were at legendary with us.his e-mail is labellep@myway.com.
gryfan

Old 01-18-2010, 04:37 PM

I have Pierre and Norm's phone number if you would like me to give them a call when the plans are finilized I will!

Last edited by Beaner; 01-18-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

List of those interested to date:

Tonygg (Tony)
Beaner (Brian)
Gryfan (Nick & Beth)
BlueCoupe (Steve & Daniela)

Hey Dave (Onehundred80) are you interested? Let me know...
Seems like a plan Stan, I mean Tony.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:23 PM

I would be interested in the trip. I also work with Pierre at the power plant, I will contact him and give him notice.

Angelo

Quick Reply: Southern Ontario Meet Suggestion