Canada Serving Canada.

Replacing steering stabilizer...again!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replacing steering stabilizer...again!

Last year I replaced the steering stabilizer after reading about the benefits of a new one and admit that my steering response was tighter after replacement. I made the mistake of breaking one of my own rules of going OEM only and purchased an aftermarket part, the same one you see on eBay and elsewhere starting at $19.99 and up. Well, less then a year later, the seal broke and it started dripping grease on the driveway.
I have ordered the OEM part from MB and will arrive tomorrow. Cost; $70.
When telling my mechanic about purchasing aftermarket, he asked if the original was leaking when replaced. It wasn't. Point made!

This is the exact part and supplier I purchased from last year.
Steering Dampner Mercedes Benz SLK Chrysler Crossfire - JoeTLC

OEM...looking different.

Last edited by user 8202; 11-25-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Replacing steering stabilizer....again!

The bottom picture shows the stabilizer compressed... that's the difference.

Buy from Autohaus... they have the OEM replacement (Benz) for ~$35

Old 08-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Banned

The bottom picture shows the stabilizer compressed... that's the difference.
Uhh..nope. The difference is the silver banded end on the OEM part that in my opinion is shorter then the aftermarket part. On close inspection, you will also see different seal parts.....it's the seal that broke on the aftermarket part.

Got a link you can share to Autohaus?
I have to consider duty and taxes when ordering on-line which isn't always the cheapest solution....

Old 08-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

Old 08-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by tonygg
Uhh..nope. The difference is the silver banded end on the OEM part that in my opinion is shorter then the aftermarket part. On close inspection, you will also see different seal parts.....it's the seal that broke on the aftermarket part.

Got a link you can share to Autohaus?
I have to consider duty and taxes when ordering on-line which isn't always the cheapest solution....
Tony, I would be wary of shipping UPS as they sometimes charge a high extra fee for customs brokerage unless it is shipped with the customs and taxes repaid. As this company offers shipping via USPS I would elect that option.
This extra fee by UPS often negates the savings.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

To get free shipping, I just ordered 2.

Who wants one? I'll be at the Dream Cruise & Fall Dragon.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Banned

Tony, I would be wary of shipping UPS
Absolutely....I shop a lot online and always ask for USPS (mail). UPS is the worse with a flat rate brokerage fee of $30 on most items, add tax on top of that. Mail on the other hand I find is hit or miss. Most often I receive new merchandise that technically I should be charged tax on, but only to find a signature is required at time of pick-up at our local postal station (Shoppers Drug Mart). No brokerage fee with mail.

I phoned the closest MB dealership I could find (Whitby) and the part is to arrive tomorrow. I'll drive over to my mechanic who'll take the 15 minutes to install it, likely not charging me anything.

Last edited by user 8202; 08-03-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

harbor,
i'll take the second one....i can pay you in advance or pay for it at woodward.
thanks
gryfan

Old 08-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gryfan
harbor,
i'll take the second one....i can pay you in advance or pay for it at woodward.
thanks
gryfan
Deal - See you at Woodward.
Thanks

Old 08-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by tonygg

Absolutely....I shop a lot online and always ask for USPS (mail). UPS is the worse with a flat rate brokerage fee of $30 on most items, add tax on top of that. Mail on the other hand I find is hit or miss. Most often I receive new merchandise that technically I should be charged tax on, but only to find a signature is required at time of pick-up at our local postal station (Shoppers Drug Mart). No brokerage fee with mail.

I phoned the closest MB dealership I could find (Whitby) and the part is to arrive tomorrow. I'll drive over to my mechanic who'll take the 15 minutes to install it, likely not charging me anything.
Tony, Canada Post will sometimes charge a brokerage fee and sometimes not. I know, I have the receipts to prove. Couriers always collect a brokerage fee.........that's been my experience.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Tony, Canada Post will sometimes charge a brokerage fee and sometimes not. I know, I have the receipts to prove. Couriers always collect a brokerage fee.........that's been my experience.
I have never been charged a brokerage fee by Canada Post, just the $5 handling fee if customs wanted the GST/PST now the HST.
I have had some parts shipped from the US via UPS and the option was to prepay the taxes up front and in this case UPS Canada asks for no brokerage fees. They gave me the price with and without this option and it was a no brainer.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Replacing steering stabilizer...again!

boys,
the best solution is an american mail box in niagara falls.one purchase can pay for 6 months worth of mail box.i purchased a cockpit cover from california last year.most of you have seen it.the cover was $70.00 and shipping to canada was $70.00. shipping to niagara falls was free by surface....so it took a couple of extra days.i have since used that mail box to purchase 3 more cockpit covers for membetrs of SOCO.the savings have paid for a mailbox for a year.i have purchased several parts on line for my cutlass convertible.....same thing. ........free delivery to states......as much as the part costs to canada.
just an idea....it pays for itself.....not to mention the savings from what the "boss" buys.
gryfan
SOCO

Old 08-03-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by gryfan
boys,
the best solution is an american mail box in niagara falls.one purchase can pay for 6 months worth of mail box.i purchased a cockpit cover from california last year.most of you have seen it.the cover was $70.00 and shipping to canada was $70.00. shipping to niagara falls was free by surface....so it took a couple of extra days.i have since used that mail box to purchase 3 more cockpit covers for membetrs of SOCO.the savings have paid for a mailbox for a year.i have purchased several parts on line for my cutlass convertible.....same thing. ........free delivery to states......as much as the part costs to canada.
just an idea....it pays for itself.....not to mention the savings from what the "boss" buys.
gryfan
SOCO
So how much for the box, obviously cheaper than 4 x $70?
Don't leave me hanging here.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I have never been charged a brokerage fee by Canada Post, just the $5 handling fee if customs wanted the GST/PST now the HST.
I have had some parts shipped from the US via UPS and the option was to prepay the taxes up front and in this case UPS Canada asks for no brokerage fees. They gave me the price with and without this option and it was a no brainer.
Dave, the $5 Canada Post "handling fee" = brokerage fee..........a rose is a rose

Old 08-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Forum Regular

onehundred80,
i believe the box is $45 for 3 months.....i would have paid $210 just for the covers alone.......then the other parts etc. i order stuff from advance auto ,pep boys etc. also.the box pays for itself.
gryfan

Old 08-03-2010, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Dave, the $5 Canada Post "handling fee" = brokerage fee..........a rose is a rose
The flat rate charged by Canada Post is minuscule compared to the sliding fees levied by brokerages, which in my mind are bordering on criminal.
A charge of $5 ($8 for Priority Post) is a flat fee so really cannot be called a brokerage fee which varies according to the type of goods, the goods value, country of origin, shipment method and reason for it entering the country. In the case of items for rework and/or repair with eventual return to the country of origin another set of fees apply and you need to be a forensic accountant to figure them out.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:44 AM

Hey Dave have you ever considered a career in politics?........just asking?

Old 08-04-2010, 08:37 AM
Cool Re: Replacing steering stabilizer...again!

Funny how this thread started out talking about OEM steering dampers and those other non-OEM versions that are on the web AND then was taken over by shipping costs.

Are shipping costs that sensitive?

I ordered two of those dampers (could be a different make from Amazon.com) and I found that the time it took to replace one myself took about the same time that you would take to change the oil. I kept my original OEM version just in case I experienced something similar to what was stated in the first post of this thread.............unexpected non-OEM problem.

So far so good..........I still have my second 'new' one and the OEM version to fall back on; keeping my fingers crossed!