Canada Serving Canada.

Daytime Running light Question???

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Daytime Running light Question???

Originally Posted by stevedask
This is an awesome post Sik SRT-6 - Thanks for saving me hundreds of dollars when I buy a crossfire from the USA. Was there anything else you need to do to pass RIV inspection? Also can you tell me where you went to get your RIV inspection as they seem to have pushed your process right through and I am close (Burlington). Any other tips on bringing in a crossfire from the US. Did you have to pay any duty or pay the US federal or state tax and canadian tax?

Thanks again for the great post & info.

Steve
Regarding the RIV, i got mine done at the Cnd tire here in bradford. The service manager was a super nice guy. It was the first crossfire he had seen. And i had asked him about the fogs before even bringing the car in, and he said no prob. reason being is, that there are a few cars out there that i have seen (bmw's, Benz's) that use the fogs as DRL's.

As far as importing goes. Just make sure you have tripple copies of everything, espicaly for what you payed for the car (a signed note from the prev owner, the internet ad, etc). Make sure you send your title to the US side 48-72h's or something like that before crossing so they can do a lien check. And you should be good to go.

Oh and on the RIV req form, it says "Child restrant tab" or something along those lines, on lower back of the passenger side seat the clip is there, its also in the manual.

And finaly the 3rd req for import is the Km/H speedo, which these cars have in lowercase on the gauge. You will pass. Reason they ask this is, for example newer porsches from the US just have MPH, and you need the KM/H readings to pass RIV. the gauge from porsche is like 7000$ lol!

Sorry my first time posting on a forum - i didn't realize i only sent the post to you. I think swithching out modules is probably harder than just running one wire with a fuse like your pic. & then remooving it, I think that fix is genius & just what I'm looking for.

Thanks again for sharing that info.

Steve
No prob, the wiring system on these cars are pretty complex. My little fix is no way a true DRL fix, but will allow you to pass some of the hurdles the cnd gov puts in place.

Last edited by Sik Srt-6; 02-01-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really apprecate the info. I just need to get it passed and then I can turn my own lights on.

Hey, Did you import your car after July 2010 with changes to the new HST/13% RST for private sales came into effect? I'm wondering if they charge the GST at th eboarder and the new 13% RST when you register?

Thanks

Old 02-01-2011, 05:46 PM

Really apprecate the info. I just need to get it passed and then I can turn my own lights on.

Hey, Did you import your car after July 2010 with changes to the new HST/13% RST for private sales came into effect? I'm wondering if they charge the GST at th eboarder and the new 13% RST when you register?

Thanks
Yes it was durin september i beleve, if im not mistaken they charge you the GST at the border and PST at the DMV. they did not double tax me.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Forum Regular

Hi Stevedask -
Welcome to the wonderful world of Crossfires.
Try a search on Ebay under Chrysler Crossfire. They've got some interesting looking DLR kits that are complete and should also pass the import requirements. If they're wired in through the ignition separately you should avoid the dashlight problem that we had previously discussed on this post as well. My XF is tucked away right now so I can't check how the fit would be, but it looks interesting, anyway.
I couldn't believe how easy it was to import the vehicle. Just do a search online for importing a vehicle into Canada and it lays everything out for you. You should not have to pay taxes from the US, but you will pay the GST here, and then the PST when you license it. At least when I brought mine through that's how it was. Even though the HST was in effect, it did not apply to vehicle importations. Get a transport sticker from the state you're buying the vehicle in and you can drive it home.
Canadian Tire seems to be the government approved RIV inspection station, but you can get the vehicle safetied anywhere you want. The only extra you'll need to do is an emissions test. The child restraint is not an issue - it doesn't apply to roadsters. Follow the websites and you'll be amazed at how easy it is.
And start smilin'.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the great info. So you only paid the 13% tax total (5% Gst at border and 8% at MTO) and i was after HST went in? Are there certain states that you avoided looking in because they make you pay the state tax too (unless they drive it out of state to do the deal)?

Steve

Old 02-01-2011, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the great info. So you only paid the 13% tax total (5% Gst at border and 8% at MTO) and i was after HST went in? Are there certain states that you avoided looking in because they make you pay the state tax too (unless they drive it out of state to do the deal)?

Steve
Im pretty sure that they cannot charge you state tax unless your from that state.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:37 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve
Bought my car from a Florida dealer almost a year ago and the only way for me to avoid the tax was to have the car shipped to me. If I drove the car off the lot the dealer was obligated to charge the tax and remit it. However, if you buy the car from a private seller, you can avoid the tax by having the seller leave their plates on it....drive it back then mail them their plates once you get back.
Many states have different tax laws so be diligent and do your homework.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:45 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Is it so secret that you cannot share the info with the rest of us? It is an oldish post.
Cheap way out is to borrow someones module for the test and then give it back to them.
That was so long ago that I forgot what I sent and had to look back at the PM.................

Wanted to warn John about you!!!.

I had received a PM from another Canadian member asking if I would sell my spare US switch..... and then I thought well maybe John could trade his US switch for the Canadian switch but the guy wanted to keep his Cdn switch as a spare.
Why am I answering this post??????

Old 02-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
Bought my car from a Florida dealer almost a year ago and the only way for me to avoid the tax was to have the car shipped to me. If I drove the car off the lot the dealer was obligated to charge the tax and remit it. However, if you buy the car from a private seller, you can avoid the tax by having the seller leave their plates on it....drive it back then mail them their plates once you get back.
Many states have different tax laws so be diligent and do your homework.
$6 to mail the plate back to Florida..............everything costs more on this side of the ditch

Old 02-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Forum Regular

Yes - the PST & GST were split after the HST went into effect. When I licensed it at home, though, the MTO wanted to charge me HST & I had to explain to them that the GST portion was already paid. I didn't get too much of an arguement, but they didn't know the rules and didn't really want to take my word for it.
What state are you bringing the car in from? The dealer that I bought it from was going to charge me the tax & I told him it wasn't applicable because the car wouldn't be licensed to me i n their state. It never went further - no arguments or anything, but he also brought it across the border for me. So whether that makes a difference or not I don't know.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:40 PM

I've learned that if the car is an automatic you can just go to the dealer and have them change the country code which will activate the DRL. A manual trany is as everyone has explained, it's a pain. According to the owners manual you have to wire the DRL module ahead of the bulb out senor. I haven't had a chance figure this out yet (to cold to work in the garage). If can't figure it out I may put a couple of small LED strips like the Audi's have which wouldn't have any affect on the vehicles wiring harness.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:46 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by parkerd
I've learned that if the car is an automatic you can just go to the dealer and have them change the country code which will activate the DRL. A manual trany is as everyone has explained, it's a pain. According to the owners manual you have to wire the DRL module ahead of the bulb out senor. I haven't had a chance figure this out yet (to cold to work in the garage). If can't figure it out I may put a couple of small LED strips like the Audi's have which wouldn't have any affect on the vehicles wiring harness.
Been there, tried that....there is no dealer programming available for DRL on any Crossfire. You can change out the light switch module to a Canadian version for a true production style DRL system or mess with the wiring for something a little more crude but cheaper and still effective.

Your choice...good luck.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Whoever said that is wrong. According to what owners manual? We want facts not hearsay.
Get the Canadian version of the switch or get this;
Daytime Running Light System | Canadian Tire
Its is $40 ($41 US)

Old 02-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Bet you wish you hadn't jumped in on this one. Best get your facts straight before you post.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:08 PM

Working on this mod. Where is the fuse box located?

Originally Posted by Sik Srt-6
I know this might be a bit off topic, but since the conversation about DRL's come up a fair bit, i thought i would just add this small tidbit for anyone who might have used it. I know im a happy camper in the DRL department

Before i bought my car, i knew the price of the DRL switch assembly, just so i wasnt surprised of its price if i was in a bit of a pickle and just had to bite the bullet and buy one. But regardless, i knew that there has got to be a way around it that 1. is relatively cheap (ie a relay or such), and 2. doesnt tick off/damage the current lighting system. 3. saves me 500$ so i can spend it on other goodies for the car.

So for most cars, DRL's are basicaly the high beams with a reduced voltage. For the X-fire i have no ideal because i havent seen any cnd version ones with DRL's on that i noticed. So after speaking with a few of the guys that do the RIV, and doing some research. You can pass the DRL test, if any of the lights turn on when the key is turned to ignition. The factory module i beleive turns the lights on once the engine is started and the parking brake is released. But its not a requriement, as far as i know .

So i decided to bury myself in the wiring diagrams for the car, to see what i can dig up. Really my reason for not buying the switch is because if the DRL's were a reduced voltage for the highbeams, it would tick off my hid's that i plan on installing. Plus i want full control over my lights

Ok so, apart comes the dash, and my Dad and I dig in to the light switch.

So what i wanted to do was control my fogs as the DRL,.. fogs turn on when the key is turned on. Plus, just having fogs on just looks cooler during the day IMO
Also if wanting to wire up the bulbs in the headlights (ie, lows or high) each headlight bulb is on its own seperate fuse, so its a bit more complex. The fogs both share a common line source.

Originaly i was also going to wire it up so they turn off when the parking brake is engaged, but to pull the center console apart just looked like a bit of a task, plus i didint want to take anything apart that didnt need to come apart on this new car.

So..One picture tells 1000 words.

Ok first off, this is no ways a mean for completely installing a proper DRL system, but it allows you to pass the test for the price of a good inline fuse and your time. If you dont mind having your fogs on all the time when your driving. then this is the way to go.

The prink wire is the switched source for the light housing. So when the key is on, its live, and feeds right to the fogs. Slot 9 is the fog fuse, the top pin goes to the lights, the bottom pin is the manually switched + from the switch.

So for me, the next day, did the RIV, passed with flying colours, did the E-test, got 0.00 emissions , inspection.. And i was all good to go!

Once i was done, pulled the wire out, and put it back to the way it was. I always remeber to turn my lights on before i take off, so having "working" drl's is no need for me. but if you ever plan on selling your car in the near future, a proper drl moduel is recomended. I will never sell my car so it wont be a problem.

Now for those who may ask if this will tick off the Bulb Out, sensor. I beleive it doesnt, reason i dont know is because when i had the dash apart, i took the "Bulb Out" light out, so in the future when i install my HID's with relays to seperate them from the lighting system to pervent any damage to the light switch assembly, the bulb out light wont come on..

So as far as i can remember. (installed the cnd tire drl moduel on my aunts intrepid) it taps into the harness right before the bulb. so on the Xfire it ticks off the Bulb Out sensor down stream (feeding + backwards to the sensor, not allowng it to check for a bulb load). With wiring it into the harness at the switch, should not cause the Bulb Out to come on, because the Bulb out sensor it between the light switch and the headlights.

Woah.. out of breath.. lol

Old 04-22-2014, 06:08 PM

This fuse block is located on the driver side dash between the door and dash.

Do the mod, pass RIV, and your all good!

Last edited by Sik Srt-6; 04-22-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:11 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjmz888
Working on this mod. Where is the fuse box located?
I am going to give you the best hint of all.
I am going to guide you to a treasure trove of information, if you download and store at least the Owners Manual and the Service Manuals from the following site then you will know as much as a Crossfire mechanic and probably ten time more.

CLICK HERE

Old 04-23-2014, 07:45 AM

..quick to post, got lazy and did not check the car. Got the service manual downloaded thanks!

Old 05-14-2014, 12:02 AM

Did the "one wire" DRL and worked but as soon as I put the dash back together, it stop working. Have to take it apart again!