Canada Serving Canada.

Five year Extended warranty nearly over

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Unhappy Five year Extended warranty nearly over

Next month marks the fifth anniversary of my Crossfire purchase, it also marks the end of my extended warranty with its free oil changes twice a year. This warranty also got me one rear tire that was ruined on the road by a piece of metal.
I had eight out of the possible ten oil changes so that saved a few bucks.
Saw them change the oil and put in a fleece filter yesterday for the last time. Now that Mobil 0W-30 oil is cheaper at CTC we have to find a nicely priced fleece filter, not the laughable "$40 for you" (list $60) at my local auto parts store
Total Crossfire problems in 33,000k was, two headlamp bulbs, a power seat relay that I fixed for $1.00 plus swearing and sweating, the tire and three punctures. The lifters have been a bit noisy on start up lately, strange that.
I'll expect major problems in the new year.
Edit
On closer inspection on lifting the hood I think the tapping noise is actually the fuel injectors, that makes more sense.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-16-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Five year Extended warranty nearly over

Dave, my extended warranty ended this past June and I managed to get in all 10 oil and filter changes...............after all I did pay for 'em when I bought the car! I don't expect any troubles (fingers crossed)

Old 10-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave,
Look on the Bright side....You've been waiting to add those great HID's and now's your chance.

Sean

Old 10-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cydetrak
Dave,
Look on the Bright side....You've been waiting to add those great HID's and now's your chance.

Sean
That and you could throw in a V8! LOL Or get an SRT6

Old 10-15-2010, 06:50 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onehundred80
You're probably right Dave. My wife wants me to ask you if she could take it off your hands. Always on the lookout for a Crossy for her.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Forum Regular

[quote=onehundred80]Next month marks the fifth anniversary of my Crossfire purchase, it also marks the end of my extended warranty with its free oil changes twice a year. This warranty also got me one rear tire that was ruined on the road by a piece of metal.
Saw them change the oil and put in a fleece filter yesterday for the last time. Now that Mobil 0W-30 oil is cheaper at CTC we have to find a nicely priced fleece filter, not the laughable "$40 for you" (list $60) at my local auto parts store
Total Crossfire problems in 33,000k was, two headlamp bulbs, a power seat relay that I fixed for $1.00 plus swearing and sweating, the tire and three punctures. The lifters have been a bit noisy on start up lately, strange that.

180, i am at 30,000 km and am also noticing some tapping at start up. it goes away in about 10-15 seconds. this is something new.
gryfan

Old 10-16-2010, 07:35 AM
Cool Re: Five year Extended warranty nearly over

[QUOTE=gryfan]
Originally Posted by onehundred80
Next month marks the fifth anniversary of my Crossfire purchase, it also marks the end of my extended warranty with its free oil changes twice a year. This warranty also got me one rear tire that was ruined on the road by a piece of metal.

180, i am at 30,000 km and am also noticing some tapping at start up. it goes away in about 10-15 seconds. this is something new.
gryfan
Go to a thicker oil 10:50 and reduce that tapping noise to 5-10secs.

Dave will remember when we use to add the 'honey' to our oil (STP) and it removed
all noise from the engine.............no noise must be no problem!

BTW, I'm curious to know what you guys paid for your extended warranty and do you now believe it was worth it?

Old 10-16-2010, 08:08 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=mbepic]
Originally Posted by gryfan

BTW, I'm curious to know what you guys paid for your extended warranty and do you now believe it was worth it?
Good question.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

gryfan
My car does that. It always has since I got it! Oil is still perfectly clean! no issues, no hessitation. no rock rattle and roll, just a little few little tapps to show its awake!

Old 10-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

[quote=mbepic]

Go to a thicker oil 10:50 and reduce that tapping noise to 5-10secs.

Dave will remember when we use to add the 'honey' to our oil (STP) and it removed
all noise from the engine.............no noise must be no problem!

I'm not worried about the tappet noises.
Edit. I think its the fuel injectors not the hydraulic lifters, I lifted the hood and listened closely. The lifters should not drain of oil in a new engine and there is no pressure to force the oil out.
As to the extended warranty, I did not get one on our 2007 Chrysler 300, I got it on the Crossfire because it was the first year of the model, was an unknown quantity and the cost was not too bad, it cost $1,600 and it was a pretty comprehensive plan. Covered items went for repair of flat tires and up, I cannot think of one item not covered.
It covered the original tires for road hazards and I had one rear tire replaced, the list price was an astounding $550.
Would I do it again? That is a very good question and I cannot say I have the answer. Obviously the cost of tire and oil changes fall short of the total cost but at least I was covered and I have some security until November 8th.
I got the plan direct from Daimler Chrysler, plan code #724 with $0 deductible, the price was supposed to be cost, the dealership wanted to get rid of the car. After we said we would have the car the business manager tried to rewrite the deal with an added $800 for the Service contract I noticed it and it was removed much to his chagrin.

Here is a section of the plan showing the coverage over and above the engine and drive train. I think it's pretty comprehensive.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-16-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Cool Re: Five year Extended warranty nearly over

I think in your case, you got a good deal........it was insurance against something major happening; first year of car......maybe not, since the SLK320 had a pretty good history.

Anyways, I have heard of a number of cases where the 'extended warranty' (possibly 3rd party) don't seem to cover anything that really matters.