Canada Serving Canada.

Daytime Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Daytime Running Lights

Daytime running lights are mandatory in Canada.
This tends to create a problem that I have never experienced with any other car. Because the lights are so bright, you get in the car at night and unconsciously think the lights are on when in fact it is only the daytime running lights. After five minutes of driving, you realize that you have been driving without your taillights.
I think this is something that needs to be addressed but haven't heard anyone else complain about this problem.

Appreciate your comments on this since it was brought up in another 'thread' that I responded to.

Old 11-15-2004, 10:37 PM
Default Re: Daytime Running Lights

I disagree, MBepic.

My Canadian veh automatically turns on the side marker lights, taillights, front blinkers and tiny "headlights" (the eyebrow lights??) whenever the veh is running, then when disengaging the E-brake, its turns on the headlights to full intensity (low beam). I never have to turn my headlights on unless I want to use High beam or fog lights. In fact I rarely ever touch my headlight switch since they are always on.

I find this quite annoying because I think the look of the veh is more attractive without the DTR on. I attempted to $$convince$$ my dealer's tech to turn off the DTR, which can be done with the DRB Scan tool, but the tech said the only option was to set the veh as an American car which would change a bunch of options (miles vs Kms, etc). Anyway, he wouldn't do it. Personally I don't believe him, I think there must be an option to just turn off the DTR. I think it would be less taxing on the electrical system, too. But since I don't have $4000 for a DRB scanner, I guess I'll never get to drive around in the dark (ha ha)!

At least I confirmed that the DTR is a software activated feature, and can not be disabled by pulling any relays. If any one can dispute this, or knows a method of disabling the DTR, I would sure love to know.

Old 11-21-2004, 11:26 AM
Question Re: Daytime Running Lights

How do you know that the tail lights are on when the vehicle is running. Have you checked this? Also, if this is the case, why have a switch that appears to turn the lights on. I know there is a need to turn the fog lights on by pulling out switch and there is also the function where in emergency you can have left or right blinker going but why headlights if all the lights are already on?

I certainly haven't checked the tail lights when the vehicle is running and the switch is off but if what you say is true then this is unlike any other car that I have seen.

Thanks for the info, I will have to check next opportunity I have.

Old 11-22-2004, 10:50 AM

Well...
I started the car and got out of it and walked around it and looked at all the lights. The side marker lights, taillights and front markers and eyebrow lights are all on when the veh is running - this is with the e-brake on, which disables the dtr. Then when you disengage the e-brake, the outside headlights (low beams) come on. All previously mentioned lights stay on.

There is a headlight switch for countries like US and elsewhere that do NOT have DTR laws forcing them to run with headlights. The software that enables the DTR simply overrides the headlight switch.

I imagine that with the projection headlights, they may not be able to operate at reduced intensity like halogens, this is why the only option for daytime running lights is to have the low beams on at full intensity.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mbepic
Daytime running lights are mandatory in Canada.
Because the lights are so bright, you get in the car at night and unconsciously think the lights are on when in fact it is only the daytime running lights.

I am about to pick up my Crossfire from the US and my lights will be changed to daytime running lights.

I have driven my 03, and until recently, my 05 Altima which has the auto headlamp feature.

I havn't had to think of turning on the lights.

I'm wondering now if the LTD has the auto headlamp feature installed?

I am surprised US hasnt made the daytime lights mandatory. It makes a positive difference sighting a vehicle ahead when passing.

Cheers!

Old 01-01-2008, 06:28 PM

On my 04 Crossfire the headlights are always on. There is no percievable difference in any of the lights (head, park, brake, etc) between operating with the light switch on or off. The only diff being that you will not have Hi Beams unless you turn the headlight switch on. Nor any foglights without turning the switch at least to the park light detent, then pull out for fog lights.

Jaded, are you interested in selling your old US headlamp switch? They will be changing out a US headlamp switch for a Canadian one. I would be interested in purchasing.

Hunt416

Old 01-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hunt416
On my 04 Crossfire the headlights are always on. There is no percievable difference in any of the lights (head, park, brake, etc) between operating with the light switch on or off. The only diff being that you will not have Hi Beams unless you turn the headlight switch on. Nor any foglights without turning the switch at least to the park light detent, then pull out for fog lights.

Jaded, are you interested in selling your old US headlamp switch? They will be changing out a US headlamp switch for a Canadian one. I would be interested in purchasing.

Hunt416
Yes, absolutely.

I will have 5 of 6 bumper absorbers available as well.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:06 PM

The first poster on this thread raised the point of the running lights being bright enough to appear to be the low beam headlights, I have an 03 Ford Focus that has the same situation when started the DRL go on and when I turn the low beam on there is no discernable difference in the lighting, some times in the very early morning I forget to turn the lights and do not get oncoming drivers flashing at me as the DRL's appear to be the low beams an odd set-up

Old 01-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is an Import also, low beams on all the time when running, however the dash shows the light outage indicator on all the time, and I know all my lights are working (I know that on some other makes it shows as day lite running on). when I go to low beam on the headlight switch it go's off. I don't have a problem with it showing during the day , but has anyone else have this same display?

Old 01-03-2008, 04:05 PM

It could be that you have a light out somewhere... like on the license plate my light went on because 1 bulb was out on that.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Forum Regular
Cool Re: Daytime Running Lights

Hunt416

Hey, as you know, I have your old switch installed, and I can confirm that the tail lights are always on.

It does seem silly to me as well.

What is the purpose of the left side or right side light switch option. When would you use this?

Cheers!

Old 01-15-2008, 05:31 PM

Hi, Andrew - Hunt 416
I too purchased an '06 in the USA and had the light module changed to daytime running lights. Was an easy conversion - just the Canadian part was a whopping $448.00! But all worth it anyways! Got a white convertible and what a beauty - only had 5400 miles! and a great price with our dollar up! Had conversion done end of November, so not sure if original part kept,
but if you still require? Post me back. Brenda

Old 01-18-2008, 08:26 PM

Jaded1958cars:

The left and right park lights is a european thing. I guess because they may be required to park on the left or right side of the road, depending on what country they are in, the method for indicating you are parked is to activate the corresponding side marker lights. I guess it is something that the Canadian version brings with it "from the old country." I think other Canadian Mercedez' have this feature as well.

Brenda:
I have obtained an American headlight switch, but thank you for the offer.

Andrew

Old 01-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Jaded1958cars:

The left and right park lights is a european thing. I guess because they may be required to park on the left or right side of the road, depending on what country they are in, the method for indicating you are parked is to activate the corresponding side marker lights. I guess it is something that the Canadian version brings with it "from the old country." I think other Canadian Mercedez' have this feature as well.

Brenda:
I have obtained an American headlight switch, but thank you for the offer.

Andrew
All Crossfires have the "left / right parking" lights.......regardless of where they are going, U.S. models included.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Forum Regular

On page 97 of my 2008 Owner's Manual it states:

Daytime Running Lights (Where Applicable)
VEHICLES WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
The low beam headlights, parking lights, side marker lights, taillights and license plate lights are automatically switched on whenever the vehicle is started and the transmission shift lever is in a driving position

I've got a USofA car in the USofA and my DRLs do not function as stated above. Perhaps I'm somewhere where it is not applicable.

Last edited by Veloce; 12-14-2008 at 11:25 AM.