Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Be careful during XF FUELING...

Old 04-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Be careful during XF FUELING...

SoN Of A gUn!!! dirty RaT BAST**D... for the first time, i let this turkey pump the fuel into the XF. Wrong move!!

I ran in to buy some snacks for the wifey and allowed the gas attendant to pump the fuel... 2 days later when i fueled up again, i saw this!!!

what's the best way to repair, when it is taking my dealer since october to get me factory alabaster paint?

thanks,
j

Old 04-06-2006, 02:39 AM
Default Re: Be careful during XF FUELING...

Man that sucks!

My wife's Beetle Convertible has a rubber fold-out flap that protects the paint from the fuel pump handle. I wonder if you could make one for the Crossfire similar to the drawing attached. It would slip on to the gas tank under the cap. It would fold out over the paint in order to remove the cap. The cuts down the middle help it to fold easier.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
paint-protector.jpg (7.5 KB, 340 views)
Old 04-06-2006, 03:20 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am amazed how almost every time you let your guard down, you end up paying for it.

Sorry to hear. I wouldn't sleep well for a while on that one.

V-land's rubber flap idea is a great one...sounds like a product that could actually be marketed for any car. Maybe there is one out there already? If not, someone should go to work on it!

Old 04-06-2006, 07:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Griot's Garage has a fuelguard which is perfect...it was one of the first things I bought. And for $13.00 it is worth every penny.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....2520&SKU=45533

Old 04-06-2006, 07:16 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BrianViehland
Man that sucks!

My wife's Beetle Convertible has a rubber fold-out flap that protects the paint from the fuel pump handle. I wonder if you could make one for the Crossfire similar to the drawing attached. It would slip on to the gas tank under the cap. It would fold out over the paint in order to remove the cap. The cuts down the middle help it to fold easier.

nice... thank you this place is great... great people... up until 3:00 am in the morning, i put aside all pet peeves and been working on a protective cover... utilizing the wifey's black rubber hot plate/trivet... hehehehe

it looks a bit industrial... which i like, but i need another one or a larger one.
your illustration... puts closure on my problem... thanks

pelked1... i really won't lose sleep on it/ because a chip is a chip is a chip... eventually it will be fixed. i have 2 more chips on the driverside 1/4 panel...
just about where the gas hatch would be if it was the passenger side...

this angered me because it occured at a carwash... and believe me this was the last time i had anyone wash the car... since then i've been doing it myself.

j

Old 04-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed that where I fill up the pump only goes in upside down. Best advice DIY. Then there's nobody to blame but yourself.

Pat

Old 04-06-2006, 10:08 AM

hey guys, i know how you feel when stuff like that happens... it really bothered me a lot when i got my first few chips.. its just gonna happen... i'm just going to drive and enjoy my car, touch up the chips where i can, and twenty years down the road, just get the whole car painted again... enjoy your cars guys!

Old 04-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

some good ideas and suggestions with the rubber flaps. might be most helpful in NJ and OR where self service is not allowed. as long as the flap "deploys" automatically when the fuel door is opened. otherwise, you'd have to remind the attendant to use it every time you fill up.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rob M
... might be most helpful in NJ and OR where self service is not allowed...
There are places where putting fuel in your car yourself is not allowed? What in the world is that about?

Really?

Old 04-06-2006, 12:16 PM

I actually had a different experience but it could have been worse than yours. I was pumping gas with the nozzle locked. I was talking to my friend and then my tank got full so it shut off and clicked but as it did so the nozzle flew out of the tank and slid down the side of the car and fell onto the ground. I almost crapped myself. Luckily it was covered in plastic so there were no scratches and the nozzle somehow did not touch the car only the handle did.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:27 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'm getting the rubber flap pronto. GREAT suggestion.
Also, FYI...my Chrysler dealer has a paint repair person who can apply touchup paint to chips and "shave" and polish the paint to make the repair almost invisible (at least on Alabaster).
CHIPS HAPPEN!

Old 04-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob M
some good ideas and suggestions with the rubber flaps. might be most helpful in NJ and OR where self service is not allowed. as long as the flap "deploys" automatically when the fuel door is opened. otherwise, you'd have to remind the attendant to use it every time you fill up.
The fuelguard is long enough that you have to flip it out to get the gas cap off and then flip it back up over the gas cap to close the door. Not quite self deploying, but deploying and storing it is required once it is installed.

Old 04-07-2006, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Fritzauf
Also, FYI...my Chrysler dealer has a paint repair person who can apply touchup paint to chips and "shave" and polish the paint to make the repair almost invisible (at least on Alabaster).
CHIPS HAPPEN!
There is a commercially available product called Langka that "repairs" chips. http://www.langka.com/

I have had only moderately good results with it. It is a petroleum distillate that softens partially cured touch-up paint, which then allows you to "shave" off the extraneous paint from around the chip by rubbing it with a hard flat surface covered with a finely woven cloth.

The problem I have experienced with it is that it seems to discolor the touch-up paint that is left behind in the chip, and you never can actually get the paint in the chip to fill up to exactly the right height. I am still trying to figure out if this product can really work as good as they say it does. I have been experimenting with cure times and rubbing methods.

I don't think that Langka would fix the chips below the gas tank door; they are on a curved surface...but a non-metallic paint like white probably has the best chance to work.

Old 04-07-2006, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by pelked1
There is a commercially available product called Langka that "repairs" chips. http://www.langka.com/

I have had only moderately good results with it. It is a petroleum distillate that softens partially cured touch-up paint, which then allows you to "shave" off the extraneous paint from around the chip by rubbing it with a hard flat surface covered with a finely woven cloth.

The problem I have experienced with it is that it seems to discolor the touch-up paint that is left behind in the chip, and you never can actually get the paint in the chip to fill up to exactly the right height. I am still trying to figure out if this product can really work as good as they say it does. I have been experimenting with cure times and rubbing methods.

I don't think that Langka would fix the chips below the gas tank door; they are on a curved surface...but a non-metallic paint like white probably has the best chance to work.
I too tried Langka and frankly wasn't impressed at all. When I tried to use it on the Sapphire color it seemed to darken the touchup paint and you could REALLY tell where it had been touched up...not impressed at all. Now maybe I am not using it right but certainly not impressed.

Old 04-07-2006, 08:59 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kmag50
I too tried Langka and frankly wasn't impressed at all. When I tried to use it on the Sapphire color it seemed to darken the touchup paint and you could REALLY tell where it had been touched up...not impressed at all. Now maybe I am not using it right but certainly not impressed.
~ i have used it as well... works best on a flat area (eg. hood).

xfire1...as for touching up the area around the gas door... i would just use the factory touch-up paint tube to fill the nicks.

Old 04-07-2006, 09:13 AM

I have also tried it and found it very hard to get good results. I just tried it two weeks ago and had no good results. I tried using it many different ways. I then filled the chip with paint again and used polishing compound till it was down to the level of the paint. That worked pretty good.

Old 04-09-2006, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by pelked1
There are places where putting fuel in your car yourself is not allowed? What in the world is that about?

Really?
In the UK we only have self-service...no attendants, haven't been for years.