Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Crossfire Oil

Old 06-07-2006, 01:22 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossfire Oil

I have to get an oil change, and I thought I would buy the oil, since the dealer marks it up. But of course, it was no where to be found. The guy at pep boys said that 5W-40 is the same or better as 0W-40. Do you think this is true? And of course, they didn't have 5W-40 either. Do I bite the bullet and get raped at the dealer? By the way, what does an oil change (15,000 mi) run at the Chrysler dealer? I think I have to get the "B" service. Thanks guys.

Blake

Old 06-07-2006, 01:33 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Crossfire Oil

On that note, I also thought about buying the oil and the filter and taking it to a M-B mechanic...does this sound like a good idea? I mean its the same motor in the SLK320 and E320. I want to avoid the dealership...I have read up on all the bad experiences.

Old 06-07-2006, 01:39 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by brhertel
I have to get an oil change, and I thought I would buy the oil, since the dealer marks it up. But of course, it was no where to be found. The guy at pep boys said that 5W-40 is the same or better as 0W-40. Do you think this is true? And of course, they didn't have 5W-40 either. Do I bite the bullet and get raped at the dealer? By the way, what does an oil change (15,000 mi) run at the Chrysler dealer? I think I have to get the "B" service. Thanks guys.

Blake
I know the guy at Pep Boys probably knows as much about the Mercedes engine in our cars, as alot of D/C techs do. (Which is about ZERO) so stick with what is recommended by the factory. 0W-40 Mobil 1.
Auto Zone and Wal Mart usually has it in stock. Sorry I can't tell you what the dealer charges, because I do all my own oil changes. But if you want to try it yourself, don't worry about it, it's super easy to do (and alot cheaper I'm sure).

Old 06-07-2006, 04:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

0W-40 is the viscosity rating. OW is for extreme cold temperatures (sub-zero) and 40 is for very high temperatures (perhaps over 115 degrees F)

A range of 5W-30 here in Southern California is quite common, in fact the most common.

As far as synthetic oil goes you can read more about Mobil 1 at:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...l_1_0W-40.aspx

Old 06-07-2006, 10:40 AM

I just purchased Ow-40 at NAPA here in Memphis. I had to ask the guy behind the counter for it ... It was on sale at $4.95 a quart.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:53 AM

brhertel,

I pickup my 0w-30w oil at Strauss Auto her in NJ. I don't know where you are located but I would only use what is called for from the manual. I'm sure you can find it somewhere locally. It is more costly but you can run it to 7K miles instead of the 3K for regular oils. I change mine every 5K cause I can easily keep track by the Odometer and I'm sure earlier is better than later.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would avoid the 5w variant...the 0w is what is important when considering startup operation... its thin as water in the cold basically, this is important... putting 5w in means it is thicker when it is first started, this leads to higher oil pressures, and possibly blown seals and gaskets if they cannot withstand the higher startup operating pressures than they where designed for...

it was designed with 0w in mind... so use that only if you want to avoid putting the seals in more of a strain than they designed them to be...

Old 06-08-2006, 09:30 PM

Found 0-w-40 at Walmart, bought my own Topsider Oil-pump, and followed some of the other post here for directions on doing an oil & filter change. Changing the oil is easy w/ the topsider, no mess. The M-B dealer wouldn't allow a Chrysler on the lot for service, not even for an oil change. Service manager was a "&%^*. The parts guy was helpful with the filter ($21). He admitted to me in a whisper that I had the better car then the SLK, better looking and with nicer wheels.

Do it yourself, Its easy thanks to this great forum...

It did take me two tries to reset the FSS though.