Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Heating/Air Conditioning rant.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heating/Air Conditioning rant.

In 1987 I bought a used 82 Honda Accord coupe. It was my first air conditioned car. It had dash vents whose source could be changed from the air conditioned inside air to fresh air from the outside. The temperature of the conditioned air could be controlled with the heater control. The direction of the air from the heating/air conditioning unit could be controlled from full defrost on the windshield to full heat on your tootsies in the winter.

Now I have a Crossfire and it's spring in Northeast Ohio. Just getting into the car fogs the windshield. Using the air conditioning (per the manufacturer's recommendation) to clear the windshield reduces the air temperature inside the car to arctic levels. Shutting off the air conditioning causes the windshield to fog over within seconds. Turning on the heat eventually clears the windshield but turns the interior into the stokehold of hell. Trying to balance the heater controls against the air conditioning is futile as any change in the throttle changes the heat output. Opening the windows over 40mph means that the shoulder belt will try to beat you to death as it flutters in the wind. In winter with the heater direction control set full down the fan gives off the loud roar of a fan blowing air against a wall and my feet freeze. In summer with the air conditioning on and the direction control set one notch south of defrost my feet still freeze.

I thought that a car designed in the European Grand Touring tradition would have a heating/air conditioning system designed for driver comfort but that little nuance seems to have been missed by Daimler/Chrysler/Karmann.

Old 06-22-2006, 06:31 PM
Default Re: Heating/Air condinitioning rant.

If you have the recirc button pressed this will happen. If not I think something is not right I also live in ohio SW near Cincy, but I do not have any issues with fogged windows unless I have the recirc on especially using heat.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:50 PM
Default Re: Heating/Air Conditioning rant.

Run the AC with the temperature set higher - the AC will lower the moisture content. But, like the man said, make sure you don't have it in recirc mode.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe the recirc is malfunctioning, and even if you think it's off, it's still stuck on.
I do know some people have even went so far as to go to a "Dive Shop" and purchased a liquid that Divers wipe inside their facemasks to help prevent them from fogging up, and apply it to the inside of their windshields.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:53 PM
Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

I was getting fogging and you know how I solved it? I don't put the vents toward the defrost setting when AC is on. Now cabin stays nice and cool and ZERO fogging.