Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

lack of power

Old 11-12-2006, 12:42 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lack of power

i must say when i first got my crossfire i had this idea that it was lacking in power (6 spd base) but over the past few days i've driven it on a daily basis and i am not sure if i am getting old or something but it boogies just enough ... especially when you hold it at 4k rpm and then punch the throttle it rips rather nice ... and it is a relief that no matter what rpm you are at right before you punch it, it is rather silent and then the tone changes when you open the throttle all the way ...

in a way, i am more hesitant to modify this car than ever ... the intake sound is tuned so well (as i assume is the cfm it flows) and so is the exhaust sound ... i doubt i could ever do any better !

this leaves me with the idea that i must leave it alone, just keep making it look nicer and leave my '95 neon for modification (2.4 turbo, 8 injectors) ...

i just wanted to share that with you guys cause its a breakthrough for me, cause i could never leave anything stock ... but damn i just don't think i can top the factory this time...

Old 11-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: lack of power

What a refreshing post!

I've been tired of hearing about how the Crossfire (non-SRT6) is underpowered since I first got here. I find my Limited coupe autostick 215 HP has all the power I need, and then some.

At my ripe old age of 53, this is the first auto transmission I've ever owned and I accept that any initial lag in response is primarily due to that. But once it catches gear, this magnificently agile car shoots down the road with a wonderful, yet dignified ROAR. There's plenty of power under the hood.

I've never quite understood why so many people feel this car needs to be a rocket. As for me, riding a mere jet is more than fine, thank you.

Old 11-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by intenseblu
i just wanted to share that with you guys cause its a breakthrough for me, cause i could never leave anything stock ... but damn i just don't think i can top the factory this time...
Intenseblu - I am almost in complete agreement with you. The only thing that really really bugged me was the fly-by-wire throttle lag. This lag even put me off overtaking as I never new how quickly the power would be available. Floor the accelerator - nothing - then power. I have now rectified this problem by purchasing a sprintbooster (BDD 451) , the car now drives IMHO as it should have from the factory.

Note: I nearly didn't buy the sprintbooster due to some members on the sprintbooster thread implying that this device was far too aggressive on the manual. All I can say is that unless the accelerator varies wildly from xfire to xfire and you do not have so little foot co-ordination that you can not walk in a straight line you adjust to it within minutes.

Old 11-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Forum Regular
Cool Re: lack of power

Originally Posted by midnightman
What a refreshing post!

I've been tired of hearing about how the Crossfire (non-SRT6) is underpowered since I first got here. I find my Limited coupe autostick 215 HP has all the power I need, and then some.

At my ripe old age of 53, this is the first auto transmission I've ever owned and I accept that any initial lag in response is primarily due to that. But once it catches gear, this magnificently agile car shoots down the road with a wonderful, yet dignified ROAR. There's plenty of power under the hood.

I've never quite understood why so many people feel this car needs to be a rocket. As for me, riding a mere jet is more than fine, thank you.
Amen Brother. LOL.
I feel the same way. The car has plenty of power and it puts it to the ground in very nice way. I also don't understand why some owners want to turn off the traction control, That has saved me a couple of times from a nasty spin. If the Crossfire had much more power it would not be such a GREAT daily driver. If you want a race car then go buy one. If you want a fun, fast stable car... Get a Crossfire.

Old 11-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Forum Regular

I agree. I also think the manual is better suited for this car then the auto. Try this: At about 50-55 MPH in 4th gear, clutch in, blip the throttle to match revs, shift to 3rd, clutch back out, then hammer the throttle. I LOVE doing that, and it sounds so good too!!

Old 11-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Forum Regular

AMEN! This little baby has got plenty of guts for "just" 215 HP.

I personally feel the power of my Roadster fits the size of the car just fine. I love that I have still have plenty of pedal regardless of what speed I'm going. I can punch the pedal to pass slow cars, scoot around them and then coast back down to the speed. I can punch the pedal when traveling over 80 (ssshhh...) and the pick-up is a major high - it just takes off "like a rocket". Not enough HP? Whatever... Its just right... *sigh* In a word: PERFECT.

Thank you for being happy with what you got... and letting everyone know.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brhertel
I agree. I also think the manual is better suited for this car then the auto. Try this: At about 50-55 MPH in 4th gear, clutch in, blip the throttle to match revs, shift to 3rd, clutch back out, then hammer the throttle. I LOVE doing that, and it sounds so good too!!
ok you and me up 8 to alpine 55 mph rolling start finish at the tavern overpass lets see who pulls who.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:54 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Am I the only one who gets freaked out with Irafatsar's avatar.
I would hate to be the BIG Tree.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:47 PM

I am new to this group and only have had the car for a week, after alot of posts hear I was beginning to think that these are not as good a car as I thought. It has I think great power, looks great and I think it is a very good buy for the money. I also am going against the grain and getting 17" wheels and tires that will cut down the road noise and let me enjoy the stereo alittle more and I bet it will still handle just fine (for Me).

Old 11-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FPMartinez
Am I the only one who gets freaked out with Irafatsar's avatar.
I would hate to be the BIG Tree.
Nope, I've liked that creepy avatar since he put it up...but it is creepy.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:10 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by flow
I am new to this group and only have had the car for a week, after alot of posts hear I was beginning to think that these are not as good a car as I thought. It has I think great power, looks great and I think it is a very good buy for the money. I also am going against the grain and getting 17" wheels and tires that will cut down the road noise and let me enjoy the stereo alittle more and I bet it will still handle just fine (for Me).
Sometimes reading what some forum members write gives you the impression they are not too happy with their XFs, or they’ve lost the enthusiasm they once had. But overall most of us are in love with our ride. It's not a muscle car, and it's not the fastest off the line, but it's quick, and it handles great. It's a true roadster. This is what we have to keep in mind. If you want raw power off the line, get a Mustang, or a Camaro/Firebird. If you want a well engineered car, that performs well, and has a level of sophistication, the XF is the best for the money. I still can’t get enough of mine, and the thought of not driving it over the winter will make the winter feel even longer. Like that’s what we need in Chicago.

Enjoy your new ride.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:55 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Just remember many people come here to help solve problems which make the car seem poor. This is the same with most car forums!
I personally love this car. I have the modification bug and can't leave anything alone, hell if I had a Ferrari I would modify that too. It is part of the fun for me.
If I wanted a car that would last forever, have good resale value, ect., I would have bought an Accord but what is the fun in that.
An Accord would be great for my mom but would not hit my happy spot.
Sometimes our cars become an extension of ourselves and I am proud to own a Crossfire!

Old 11-13-2006, 12:59 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stryfox
I personally love this car. I have the modification bug and can't leave anything alone, hell if I had a Ferrari I would modify that too. It is part of the fun for me.
Sometimes our cars become an extension of ourselves and I am proud to own a Crossfire!
Well said! I must agree!! I would enjoy more power at the starting line but I can't complain about the performance with this Automatic 5 speed.

Old 11-13-2006, 01:14 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritzauf
Well said! I must agree!! I would enjoy more power at the starting line but I can't complain about the performance with this Automatic 5 speed.
I agree completely...still makes me wonder what DC are missing when it comes to this car...why don't they understand what they built?

Old 11-13-2006, 01:31 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharonaln67
[COLOR=navy]AMEN! This little baby has got plenty of guts for "just" 215 HP.
Sharon's post got me to thinking when she said the Crossfire had "just" 215 HP.
Listed below are some Cubic inch, and Horse Power ratings taken from the Oct.1971 issue of Motor Trend magazine.
Keep in mind, these are all "V8" engines with 4 brl. carbs. (Except the XF of course).

.......................Cu. In.....................H.P.

Pontiac..............400......................200

Pontiac..............455......................220

Cadillac.............472.......................220

Pantera.............351......................202

Chrysler............440.......................225

Buick GS...........455.......................225

Chevrolet..........454.......................230

Olds..................455......................225

Crossfire...........188.......................215

As you can see, all things are "relative".
Personally, I think the h.p. of a Limited XF, is ideally suited for it's wheelbase and weight. If I had wanted a "drag racer", I would have purchased the SRT-6.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:44 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Irafatsar
ok you and me up 8 to alpine 55 mph rolling start finish at the tavern overpass lets see who pulls who.
HAHAHA, we'll see, especially after I get my NEW tires this weekend!! 21st b-day present from the parentals.

[edit] Although I'm not sure what difference tires will make.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Sharon's post got me to thinking when she said the Crossfire had "just" 215 HP.
Listed below are some Cubic inch, and Horse Power ratings taken from the Oct.1971 issue of Motor Trend magazine.
Keep in mind, these are all "V8" engines with 4 brl. carbs. (Except the XF of course).
1971 was also 32 years before the crossfire was produced, 26 years before the first SLK was put into production... Keeping in mind it only took 8 years to land a man on the moon... this was definitely "one SMALL step" for Mercedes.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:53 AM

I drive an automatic, but I find I can spin the tires, from a standing start, on hard acceleration around a turn, even with traction control. You will need the seat supports if you turn as fast as the car will let you. This isn't a dragster, but for power, style and enjoyment, you're home.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:58 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Re: lack of power

Lately I have noticed a lot of negative posts regarding the power and performance of our Crossfires. It seams that the mentality of many of those who are posting these negative posts are either comparing our car to muscle cars, higher performance cars, or ricer street racers which I don't understand why since our car was never marketed or promoted as such. I don't know how many of our members if any received or have even seen the Promotional CD Chrysler put out with the launch of the 2004 Crossfire but in that CD the car is promoted as touring car, thus the reason for the luggage:

Dreamed in America, Crafted in Germany.

Crossfire was not conceived as a mere exercise in styling prowess, but to be a true world class touring car in every respect.
As a touring car I can't think of another car in it's class for the same money. I have taken this car on numerous 3K mile trips ranging from 6 to 10 hours a day in the car and I don't find it uncomfortable at all to drive. I have no problem with the horse power and I have never found it lacking the ability to hang with the vettes on the highway at 120-150 mph nor have I seen a problem with the handling as it goes into a 20 mph hair pin curve at 45 mph. The car is absolutely fantastic for what it was designed for, road trips not racing. Okay with the one exception; HDDP's car since he has done an extensive amount of modification to his car.

The bottom line is the Crossfire is just plain fun to drive at all speeds!

Last edited by Idaho; 01-29-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:46 AM

I was reading this post, and wondered if those with the auto stick know they can reset to factory defaults the response time of the throttle?

As I recall there is a post here somewhere about how to...

I recall that you turn on the ignition and without starting the engine press the throttle to the floor for 30 seconds.

Then take you foot off the throttle.
Turn off the ignition and leave in ignition for I think 2 more minutes.

And then its reset.

Quick Reply: lack of power