Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Looking at Crossfire

Old 12-10-2006, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at Crossfire

I am looking into trading my SRT-4 for a Crossfire. How expensive are they to mod? Can they be fast without breaking the bank? What is the biggest shot of nitrous that is safe? Great looking car just wanna make sure I can make it go as fast as it looks.

Old 12-10-2006, 10:57 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Looking at Crossfire

The srt6 is faster than the stock srt4 neon. It is not nearly as easy or cheap to mad as the srt4.
The limited is slower than the neon and it will be almost impossible to make it as fast as the neon without breaking the bank.
However the crossfire has more charter than the neon and it a much better "driving" car.
It is a sport touring car not a 1/4 mile racer.
I love my crossfire and I am not trying to persuade you from getting one but don't expect the parts bin like the neon has...
Search some posts here and make sure it fits what you are looking for.
Best of luck.

Old 12-10-2006, 11:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Looking at Crossfire

If you are looking at the Limited then prepare to brake the bank big time. There are not alot of performance mods out there for the XFire, Renntech, Startech, Brabus & Carlsson will run you about $10,000.00 to $22,000.00 depending on what you are looking for. If speed is what you need then you need to focus on the XFire SRT6, 330 HP Supercharged, this car originally sold for $51,000.00 but can be had for $33,000.00 to $40,000.00 these days since they will no longer be produced. You can still find these on dealer lots and they will discount them a bit due to poor sales, there are a few slightly used ones on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrys...61484444QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrys...60580913QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrys...61486804QQrdZ1

Old 12-10-2006, 11:32 PM

I was looking at a SRT-4 but there's something about the Crossfire that yells "class". An SRT-4 is quite fast but still has that import tuner feel and look to it. I guess it really depends on what you're looking for in a car. I prefer a nice ride, in looks, fun, and comfort and the Crossfire has that.

How old are you? Not that it matters much but if you're still in the need for speed phase I would stick with the SRT-4. If you're out of it and want a nice ride that's still fun to drive then I would consider it. I would go test drive one and make a decision. I was sold after my first test drive. I haven't had this much fun driving since I stopped driving my Porsche 914 in high school.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:15 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

u2slow4me if you're looking for low numbers in the quarter this isn't the car for you, you would do better with a 350Z. Like CrossfireLTD said what few mods that there are out there are expensive. We have a few members who bought the car before doing their homework with the intention to mod the car and boost the preference and have become quickly disillusioned with the Crossfire. The Crossfire is one of those cars that you have to love it the way it is or you will probably never like it The car was designed for touring and it is great for that. There are a lot better cars out there if you are wanting high performance at a low cost.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Forum Regular

If you want a fast ride the SRT6 is very fast. Don't expect too much in the aftermarket for the xfire though. An SRT6 can be had at a very low price these days...

Old 12-11-2006, 10:16 AM

I am 26 and a Cop so I still love the driving fast part. Looking for a Better Ride then my SRT-4. Something with a little more luxury which will not be hard to do since the SRT-4 was not designed for that. But I would still like to know if I need to get down on it that the power will be there.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:27 AM

The power is definitely there. I've driven FWD cars for the majority of my short driving life and switching over to a RWD car took me a few drives to get used to due to the power it's got. You would think it has more than 215 hp by the way it drives. It's a different driving experience but if you get a 6-speed you'll have the power at your foot and fingertips.

I wouldn't worry about not having the power to get down when you need it on this car, unless you're racing someone.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:42 AM

I'm gonna go drive one today and see what I think. I know one person on here is using nitrous. Has anyone else and if so how big of a shot has been used? P.S. I have friends that can build custom turbo kits for a lot cheaper then $10,000.00.

Old 12-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Forum Regular

One reason why I don't have nitrous:

Old 12-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Looking at Crossfire

Originally Posted by u2slow4me
I'm gonna go drive one today and see what I think. I know one person on here is using nitrous. Has anyone else and if so how big of a shot has been used? P.S. I have friends that can build custom turbo kits for a lot cheaper then $10,000.00.
This has been tried also to no avail and still will be expensive, remember you are dealing with an R170 engine by Mercedes Benz. Not taking anything away from your friends ability but you have to consider brake upgrades, suspension upgrades and ECU and warranty issues and there is not a lot of room in the engine bay. Suspension and brake upgrades will run a few thousand dollars alone.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...turbo+chargers

Old 12-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

If you test drive an SRT6 you will be quite happy with the torque (acceleration) response when you are already moving. Plenty of 'OOMPH' off the line too, in my opinion.

The SRT6 is closer to a track tune already, so not really much to do with it.

Good Luck...

Old 12-11-2006, 07:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a great way to get loads of extra performance for not a lot of extra money...

It will:
Accelerate to 60 MPH about 2 seconds faster...
Stop much shorter with huge 14"+ rotors...
Handle better with a much heavier duty suspension...

Here is the secret START with an SRT6 and pretend you have spent the big bucks to make it go faster.

Drive an SRT6 then decide.