Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Two Problems in One Day -- Need Opinions

Old 12-04-2006, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two Problems in One Day -- Need Opinions

Well I was driving home today and went around a bend, hit the gas and hit a small bump. I immediately noticed a burning smell. It is still there driving around tonight. Nothing leaking under the car and it does not smell like oil. Smells actually like rubber burning more than anything else.

Any ideas on that one?

Number 2, got my tires changed for the first time tonight, 18,500 on stock Continentals (not happy about that) and these yahoo's must have done something because when I go over a bump or turn left or right it sounds like a spring is popping or the tires is going back and forth on the rim. I took it back but as I was the last car done they couldn't do anything other than to retorque the wheels which did not solve the issue.

Just got down eye balling it, however, it looks normal to me. The car came with Eibach springs on it could something have gone wrong just from being on the lift?

Thanks.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:52 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Wink Re: Two Problems in One Day -- Need Opinions

the springs are seated/locked in the perch... even on a lift the spring shouldn't be loose.

i don't think the springs would be the issue... i had them installed on your car... and it was done correctly.

i would have the tire company remove each rim and look for any signs of issues... re-install the rim and re-torque.

hope this helps!

Old 12-05-2006, 12:16 AM
Default Re: Two Problems in One Day -- Need Opinions

Thanks Andrew. I know you put them on the car. I wasn't questioning the install but rather if raising the car up would throw it out of whack, which I am glad to hear it won't.

I am taking it over first thing in the morning and will keep everyone posted.

Off topic: I have a small rip about the size of dime in the front of my clear bra, what should I do about that? It is starting to accumulate dirt.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by XFiring
Well I was driving home today and went around a bend, hit the gas and hit a small bump. I immediately noticed a burning smell. It is still there driving around tonight. Nothing leaking under the car and it does not smell like oil. Smells actually like rubber burning more than anything else.

Any ideas on that one?

Number 2, got my tires changed for the first time tonight, 18,500 on stock Continentals (not happy about that) and these yahoo's must have done something because when I go over a bump or turn left or right it sounds like a spring is popping or the tires is going back and forth on the rim. I took it back but as I was the last car done they couldn't do anything other than to retorque the wheels which did not solve the issue.

Just got down eye balling it, however, it looks normal to me. The car came with Eibach springs on it could something have gone wrong just from being on the lift?

Thanks.
You may also want to have your alignment checked as well.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:55 PM

Update: It looks to be the front right spring is the problem. Alignment checked and was perfect.

Any ideas on the smell?

Old 12-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by XFiring
Any ideas on the smell?
~ maybe the tire is rubbing the inner wheel well since the spring is damaged, out of its perch, etc.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:39 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the fender liner hasn't come loose. If it's rubbing the tire it will smell like burning rubber. It can also make a popping sound.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew
the springs are seated/locked in the perch... even on a lift the spring shouldn't be loose.

i don't think the springs would be the issue... i had them installed on your car... and it was done correctly.

i would have the tire company remove each rim and look for any signs of issues... re-install the rim and re-torque.

hope this helps!
Andrew: I didn't know you became a mechanic as a sideline... LOL.

Check to see if the inside shoulder of the tire was rubbing on the A frame bolt...

PS: just arrived in New Orleans and it looks like the internet on my blackberry is kind of working on this oil rig.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:52 PM

Thanks for all the tips. It was about 7 degrees tonight so a little cold even in the garage. A heater is on my short list of things to get. I will check it out tomorrow as it is supposed to be in the 30's.

The smell did seem to decrease a bit today. The spring noise also seems reduced a bit. My parents are coming in from out of town so I won't have a chance to get it into the dealer till next week.

I forgot how nice new tires are (well they better be for the price of xfire tires!). Seriously though we got 2" last night and the continentals plowed right through it.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HDDP
PS: just arrived in New Orleans and it looks like the internet on my blackberry is kind of working on this oil rig.
Oil rig? Care to bring home samples?

I've got family that was transplanted all over that area. Luckily, most of them made it through Katrina and Rita with little loss.
Take a day off the rig to have fun and enjoy the food.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:32 AM

Just thought I'd follow this up and state that the spring noise has stopped for now. No reason, just not doing it anymore. The same with the burning smell. So all is good I guess.