Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Looking to buy a Crossfire what should I look out for?

Old 01-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a Crossfire what should I look out for?

I'm deciding to purchase a Crossfire used most likely as I'd probably just use the car on the weekend. I live in NYC. I'm a total Crossfire newb but am attracted to the car even though my friends seem to hate the way it looks.

What are some of the things I should look out for?? The model i'm looking for is a black manual, grey interior. Should I buy Ebay or look to buy local etc etc.

Thanks alot guys!!!

red

Old 01-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Looking to buy a Crossfire what should I look out for?

Check Ebay, Local dealers and search the web. Do some reading on this forum and you will had a good idea what to look for in a used Crossfire. Good luck, Hope you find one you like. I love mine.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:27 PM
RPM

I just purchased mine about 2 weeks ago, so I don't have as much experience as some of the other members. I found mine online on Cars.com in Minnesota (about 12 hours from where I live). If you can physically inspect the car yourself, I would look for worn rotors, excessive tire wear, cleanliness (inside, outside, and engine bay), and also get a CARFAX report on it.

In my situation, since it was difficult for me to get out to MN to look at it, I paid for an inspection through Carchex.com. They use ASE certified inspectors all over the country. It cost me $99.95 and a tech went to the dealership, took a bunch of pictures inside and out, drove it, and did a 155 point inspection on it. I had the report emailed to me about 4 hours after the inspection.

Good luck.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Redwolf, I purchased my Crossfire brand new from the dealer thru an EBAY auction for about $13,000.00 under sticker. It was one of the smoothest new car transactions I've been involved with. There are some really great bargains out there for this car if you take the time to seek them out.
Just don't get in a hurry.
Since winter has finally showed up in the North East, that should help bring down the prices even more. No dealer wants to have a sports car sitting on their lot covered in ice and snow. The window of opportunity should be open for about the next two months.
Good hunting.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:12 PM
Forum Regular

redwolfb14,
If you are going to purchase a used Crossfire take a look at the front wheel wells. If it looks as if the plastic in the wheel well has been removed or modified in any way, it may be an indication that the car has been raced. Many racers will remove the lining of the wheel well in order to decrease heat in the engine compartment. Look for excessive wear on the tires or rotors. Most importantly, have a mechanic take a look at it before making a final decision. Good luck with the purchase.

Kevin

Old 01-15-2007, 01:35 AM
Forum Regular
Lightbulb Re: Looking to buy a Crossfire what should I look out for?

Check your PM's.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd avoid the 2004 year entirely.

I own a 2004 and it seems those with the most problems have a 2004 model.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by redwolfb14
I'm deciding to purchase a Crossfire used most likely as I'd probably just use the car on the weekend. I live in NYC. I'm a total Crossfire newb but am attracted to the car even though my friends seem to hate the way it looks.

What are some of the things I should look out for?? The model i'm looking for is a black manual, grey interior. Should I buy Ebay or look to buy local etc etc.

Thanks alot guys!!!

red
If you are considering a convertible:

http://carsoup.com/used/detail.asp?u...ealerGroupID=1

I test drove this one before deciding on a Mustang GT. It didn't sell new by the listing dealership, they donated it and it was offered as a prize for a drawing. The winner decided to take the cash option so they got it back. The mileage says 1,100 but it actually only has about 400.

It really is a brand new car. They are tired of having it around and we're getting about 6" of snow. I think they'll deal, but shipping can be pretty spendy. Maybe they can help you out with that, too.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the info guys... I'm gonna do some research. If the 2004 models are the ones with the most problems I'll stay away. The convertibles I'm not really into living in nyc I'd probably rarely get to drop her top. Otherwise I think I'm gonna go with a 2005 coupe. I'll check it out Aero's... see what deals I can find round this here web.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Redwolfb14, It's true that most of the people who complained about something had 04's, but it seemed like they had early models. But a good share of 05's have had problems too. My 04' was built in Jan. of 04' and with 20k miles on it, I haven't had one thing go wrong. You can find the build date on the drivers door.
If you're looking for a used car with some miles on it, chances are that any 04' or 05' you find will have already had its problems taken care of under warranty.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:30 PM

Sweet, thanks... i've been looking around.. There seems to be a larger amount of automatics on the market in comparison to the manual but the process has only begun. I'm hoping that if I give myself 2-3 months research time the prices won't go back up around april/may but I can only hope.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try the SRT-6. It's a real pocket rocket. They're not available with a stick but you probably won't miss it.
50% more power is a good thing. A very good thing.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:47 PM
RPM

Redwolfb14, I'm not sure where you are located, but a good place to find Crossfires at a great price is at Barnett Chrysler in Minnesota. Today, they have 16 available - some roadsters/some coupes. They also work with a very reasonable transport company. Check out their link below if interested:

http://www.barnettchrysler.com/UsedV...ge=&MaxMileage=

If you decide to contact them, ask for Bryan Barnett (part of the family business), if you want you can tell him that Ryan from MI told you about them.

Good luck.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by dirtboy
I'd avoid the 2004 year entirely.
I disagree with this sentiment. Had my '04 since '03. Went through all of the "new" car issues but that settled out around July '04. The only thing since is the heated drivers seat bottom. I think this issue is not year dependent. I think we all stand a good chance of getting this one.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:28 PM

I own an '04 and glad I bought it auto dimming rear mirror is kinda nice, not a good reason to buy an '04 but it runs as well as any '05 no problems with mine.
Happy hunting.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:33 PM

Thanks all... I think I may purchase sooner than later, i'm a little scared pricing is gonna bump once spring starts to set in here in the Northeast. Maybe give myself four weeks or so. I'm partial to the srt automatic but I really really want the control over the car... especially a sports car... I'll probably be buying off of ebay and i don't want a convertible so... we'll see... Pricing on ebay is looking like people are in the 18-24k range or so. Not bad... we'll see what I can get.