Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Police don't believe the Crossfire is a Mercedes SLK

Old 03-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police don't believe the Crossfire is a Mercedes SLK

I'm having some problems over a simple small talk conversation where I mentioned to an officer that the Crossfire is actually a Mercedes SLK underneath. We Crossfire owners know that the interior and engine are from the SLK and the platform may be too. There was something about it being from the C-class, but not sure. Anyways I had mentioned to this guy that it's a Mercedes SLK reskinned and sold as a Chrysler. I did mention that it was a previous generation SLK. Most, if not all of us here know the interior is essentially from that old SLK. Well this officer thinks I'm lying to him and has made a huge deal of it. Why he would even care is beyond me, but now these guys are claiming that I lied about it. These guys are whacked.

They are claiming I exaggerated when I didn't and was just making small talk. Not bragging at all. He is with the Windcrest Police which is a localized police department serving a small community. These guys are making a big stink over nothing.

So if anyone wants to explain to this guy that it really is a Mercedes here's his email...

jpabon4136@ci.windcrest.tx.us <jpabon4136@ci.windcrest.tx.us>

But do be nice about it. :-)

Old 03-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Police don't believe the Crossfire is a Mercedes SLK

Now that's funny...

I'd simply find a picture of the engine bay and interior of a 2001 SLK 32 and a picture of your crossfire engine bay and interior.

Send them to him and say that is the best argument you have.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a solution for you. Read the quote from Automobile Magazine...
"...does anyone think for a minute that back in 2001 - with Chrysler awash in pink slips, red ink, and off-lease Grand Cherokees - Dieter Zetsche would have coughed up the money to develop an all-new two-seat sports coupe from the ground up? It would have been about as likely as his appearing before the next DaimlerChrysler shareholders' meeting with a shaved mustache and a sequined ball gown, belting out "I Gotta Be Me." No, if the Crossfire was going to take root in hard times, the development team would have to seek out a novel solution.

A donor platform, in roughly the right size, with the proper driving wheels, was found in the Mercedes-Benz SLK and was adapted for the bespoke new body, which uses all its own sheet metal..."

There is a lot more here http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...ler_crossfire/

Just give them the link or print it out and show them...

Old 03-02-2007, 09:25 PM

I had the same kind of conversation with an employee of ours. I mention that my car (internally) is really a Benz and that any work to be done on it probably won't be cheap, like his Mitsu Eclipse. He doesn't quite believe me and makes a comment of, "Well since Mitsubishi is partially owned by DC, I don't call my car a Benz".

I'm like "Listen you fool, my car was made in Germany in the same production line as the SLK and other Benz's". "Also, my brakes and internal tubing have the 3-pointed star". It took like 2 weeks before he understood that my car is a re-skinned SLK.

I was glad however when I went to get my oil changed at a local place the guy immediately knew of the MBZ parts and said not to look it up under Chrysler for part numbers.

Non-car people are fools and it's hard to carry on a legit small-talk convo if they have no knowledge of what they're refuting.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:19 PM
RPM

Originally Posted by meshcraft
I'm having some problems over a simple small talk conversation where I mentioned to an officer that the Crossfire is actually a Mercedes SLK underneath. We Crossfire owners know that the interior and engine are from the SLK and the platform may be too. There was something about it being from the C-class, but not sure. Anyways I had mentioned to this guy that it's a Mercedes SLK reskinned and sold as a Chrysler. I did mention that it was a previous generation SLK. Most, if not all of us here know the interior is essentially from that old SLK. Well this officer thinks I'm lying to him and has made a huge deal of it. Why he would even care is beyond me, but now these guys are claiming that I lied about it. These guys are whacked.

They are claiming I exaggerated when I didn't and was just making small talk. Not bragging at all. He is with the Windcrest Police which is a localized police department serving a small community. These guys are making a big stink over nothing.

So if anyone wants to explain to this guy that it really is a Mercedes here's his email...

jpabon4136@ci.windcrest.tx.us <jpabon4136@ci.windcrest.tx.us>

But do be nice about it. :-)
Guy sounds like a real a$$.
Quote from new Motor Trend (April 2007 Issue):

"...uses many Chrysler Crossfire (aka 1998 Mercedes SLK) bits..."

Actually, the Crossfire was based on the SLK32 and SLK32AMG (SRT6) that was built from 1998-2004. We even have 2 forum members that own a Crossfire and a SLK.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't even bother explaining to people anymore what our cars really are, it's just to much work.
Originally Posted by GatorLCA
I'm like "Listen you fool,...
HA! Just thought that was funny...

Old 03-02-2007, 10:35 PM
RPM

Originally Posted by GatorLCA
He doesn't quite believe me and makes a comment of, "Well since Mitsubishi is partially owned by DC, I don't call my car a Benz".
Didn't DC sell off their shares of Mitsubishi?
Either way, the word on the street is that Mitsubishi is about to crumble.

Dude sounds like a chode.
Reminds me of a time a few years ago when Daewoo first came to the states. This snotty lady I worked with bought one and said that Daewoo was owned by Mercedes, blah blah blah. I just let her go on thinking that. Where she got that - I have no idea.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:57 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Meshcraft, All of these are good suggestions, but I'm afraid you're whipping a dead horse. I've never met a police officer that would ever admit to making a mistake.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:45 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Meshcraft, All of these are good suggestions, but I'm afraid you're whipping a dead horse. I've never met a police officer that would ever admit to making a mistake.
NOW THAT'S A FACT!

Old 03-03-2007, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by RPM
We even have 2 forum members that own a Crossfire and a SLK.
Make that 3 in June/July...

Old 03-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by meshcraft
Why do you even care? Is this guy your brother-in-law or something?!?!?!

Old 03-03-2007, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by danimal
Why do you even care? Is this guy your brother-in-law or something?!?!?!
EXACTLY!

They probably drive pick-up trucks when their off-duty and hate that fact that your car is a head turner.