Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

premium gas?

Old 04-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: premium gas?

Originally Posted by RPM
My father-in-law HATES paying for premium fuel. He had a Park Avenue Ultra (SC 3.8) a couple of years ago that was supposed to take premium - but he used 87. This resulted in constant engine 'pinging,' decreased performance, and other issues.
The pinging comes from pre-ignition that can easily take place by using lower-than-necessary octane fuel. Higher compression motors require a higher octane fuel. The higher the octane, the more difficult the fuel is to ignite, and thusly will not ignite until it reaches the combustion chamber.

High-compression motor + low-octane fuel = pre-ignition = bad.

So if you hear pinging, use higher octane fuel.

Also, the octane rating is not going to have any effect on gas mileage.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Forum Regular

40 minutes to change the oil?, with a topsider oil changes take about 10 minutes, if i do it, it is no doubt done correctly...a lot more than i can say for a lot of dealerships.

crossfires really shouldn't be compared with miatas so if you were considering both...a miata is the right choice for you.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The miata and crossfire are not in the same class.
If you like the miata and it will make you happy save yourself the $$$ and just get one.
In the miata class you can also look at the solstice/sky
If you want to go more upscale and like luxury and technologically advanced features look at the crossfire or slk, BMW, etc.
The crossfire is the cheapest of the of the luxury sport coups ...
And the deep discounts on the crossfire make it all that more appealing.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oxycodone
I'm sorry but you are wrong there. I've used the cheap stuff 87 octane in this car without any problems and I get 19 mpg, then I switch to Premium and mileage jumps up to 22 mpg, thats a big difference. I've done this test many times and I always get the same results.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
I'm sorry but you are wrong there. I've used the cheap stuff 87 octane in this car without any problems and I get 19 mpg, then I switch to Premium and mileage jumps up to 22 mpg, thats a big difference. I've done this test many times and I always get the same results.
That's quite possible in a high compression motor like the Crossfire's. If you run low octane fuel in your xfire, you'll probably experience pre-ignition, which means the fuel ignites and starts burning before it enters the combustion chamber. Therefore, you're not getting all the possible power out of the fuel that's being burned.

In a lower compression motor (read: normal everyday car whose manual says to use at least 87 octane fuel), higher octane fuel is going to have no effect whatsoever - except on your wallet.

What it amounts to is: put the kind of fuel in it that the manual says to, no matter what vehicle you're driving.

Other notes to those wishing to improve mileage: Check your tire pressure frequently. Underinflated tires can have a serious effect on mileage. Also, check your air filters and clean/replace them when they're dirty - Air/fuel mixture being off can have an effect on mileage.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The crossfire requires 91 octane.
You should use at least 91 or the computer will retard the timing due to the pinging and such.
Around here it is either 87, 89 or 93.
I am going to get a tune for 93 since I can't get 91 anyway.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oxycodone
That's quite possible in a high compression motor like the Crossfire's. If you run low octane fuel in your xfire, you'll probably experience pre-ignition, which means the fuel ignites and starts burning before it enters the combustion chamber. Therefore, you're not getting all the possible power out of the fuel that's being burned.

In a lower compression motor (read: normal everyday car whose manual says to use at least 87 octane fuel), higher octane fuel is going to have no effect whatsoever - except on your wallet.

What it amounts to is: put the kind of fuel in it that the manual says to, no matter what vehicle you're driving.

Other notes to those wishing to improve mileage: Check your tire pressure frequently. Under inflated tires can have a serious effect on mileage. Also, check your air filters and clean/replace them when they're dirty - Air/fuel mixture being off can have an effect on mileage.
You are right, if our motor was a carbureted Small block chevy from the early 80's and had 10:1 CR. then yes it would most likely have pinging issues with 87 octane. Now the later smallblock chevy's that came in the police impalas had LT1 350 motors with 10:1 CR, yet GM stated that the cops could run 87 octane in those engines for well into 300,000 miles, now why is that?

It's mostly due to the reverse flow cooling heads which pulls the heat out of the heads first instead of the block, and also the ECU's ability to sense detonation by taking out ignition timing.

So I wouldn't worry about running cheap gas, in your XF, it just wont have as much power because of the retarded timing, otherwise your good to go.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:41 AM

Putting anything lower than the recommended octane rating will obviously cause knocking/pinging. Which will eventually cause all sorts of engine, chamber, spark plug problems. All that headache for an extra 2-3 dollars on a fill up? Not worth it.. if you have to think about saving money $2 - $3 dollars on a fill up then you might as well sell the car and save yourself the money in repairs because of that train of thought.

I say never put in 87 in your XF; ever. Unless you're outta gas in the middle of nowhere. Even then, I'd only put in enough to reach the nearest 91 octane station. Also, always pump the gas yourself and if you have to do full service make sure you make it clear. 91 octane or higher only.

I remember being out in a convoy with a couple of buddies of mine and we pulled our humvees into a Shell.. Went inside to grab some snacks and soda and stuff and come back to find the attendant had filled some of our humvees with gasoline. Ever since that day; I pump myself.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:35 AM

This subject has been beat to death!

Old 04-03-2007, 11:42 AM

All else being equal you would be correct, but when the engine management system retards the spark (and possibly changes the fuel map) to limit pre-ignition due to lower than optimum fuel octane, fuel economy will be effected.

- Bill

Old 04-04-2007, 10:39 PM

Found a great deal on a new '05 limited, talked the dealer down $16,000 from the sticker. It will be delivered monday.

There are tons of great deals out there right now, hopefully this won't decrease the value in the future. I have been told the Crossfire has been discontinued and after the '06 models are gone, there gone. Maybe due to the fact Daimler is considering selling off the Chrysler division?

Now that I have bitten the bullet I'm sure I will be a frequent visitor to the forum!

Old 04-04-2007, 11:01 PM
RPM
Thumbs up Re: premium gas?

Originally Posted by Rusty Monroe
Found a great deal on a new '05 limited, talked the dealer down $16,000 from the sticker. It will be delivered monday.

There are tons of great deals out there right now, hopefully this won't decrease the value in the future. I have been told the Crossfire has been discontinued and after the '06 models are gone, there gone. Maybe due to the fact Daimler is considering selling off the Chrysler division?

Now that I have bitten the bullet I'm sure I will be a frequent visitor to the forum!
Congrats and welcome.
Looks like there are going to be a few 2007s, but none after that.
If you use the 'search' function on the forum, you'll find more info.
You made a good choice.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:56 AM

Damn it, you're getting yours on Monday?! I ordered mine over a month ago (March 1st to be exact) and I STILL don't have it. First they find out that it was still in Germany (it's a new '06), and now that it's arrived in the States they won't let the dealers pick them up. I just wanna drive my car...

Old 04-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just signed up, new to the forum.

I am looking at a 2004 Crossfire, with believe it or not, less than 2,000 miles. It's for sale at a dealership, and they claim that it has not been in an accident. Plan to do some more digging on that, but here is my concern.

Does the Crossfire really require premium octane gas for daily driving? I am looking for a fun cruiser, and would hate to have to pay more than $3/gallon just to go pick up my kid from school. Kind of defeats the purpose of an affordable 2-seater in my opinion.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Rusty...the group sarcasm knows no bounds.

Premium Gas is the standard fuel for this car. You will notice and appreciate the difference.

Yes, oil changes are expensive, do them yourself if you can, its not difficult if you have the room and know how.

It's a wonderful car, you won't regret owning it, if there are other choices if you want something a little less demanding.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:28 PM

Damn it, you're getting yours on Monday?! I ordered mine over a month ago (March 1st to be exact) and I STILL don't have it. First they find out that it was still in Germany (it's a new '06), and now that it's arrived in the States they won't let the dealers pick them up. I just wanna drive my car...

Not sure where you live, but if you are anywhere near the Motor city (Detroit) there are tons of '06 models showing up on lots everywhere with DEEP discounts. I found mine at a small town dealer, and got a great deal because it sat on their lot for a year. Better yet, after shopping on the internet and making a couple of phone calls, the dealer delivered it to my driveway for the test drive and will be delivering it on Monday. i am signing the purchase papers in my own kitchen. Couldn't be any easier, almost like ordering a pizza!

Old 04-05-2007, 05:11 PM

Also, the trunk is actually a lot bigger than I expected. I'm sure i can fit two of my three kids in there without too many problems!