Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Dump the brand!

Old 04-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Dump the brand!

and what the hell is an amg e42?

Old 04-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Chrysler. Lot's of great history with Mopar. I sold a Dodge Stratus to but my Crossfire,a nd i own a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have had a bunch of Mopars, and will have more in the future. They have been some of the most trouble free cars i have ever owned. Plus, they have personality, which is more than i can say for the Hondas i have owned.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:12 PM
Forum Regular

Deleted Message

Last edited by AMGLover; 08-13-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:15 PM

so is a new clk coming out?

Old 04-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Forum Regular

Deleted Message

Old 04-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Dump the brand!

Originally Posted by x'ed
so is a new clk coming out?
~ oh yeah... clk63...

0405200710181594761.jpg

0405200710181517721.jpg

Unlike the current CLK63 AMG, which is only available here as a convertible, the intensified CLK Black Series will only be available as a coupe. A close relative to Mercedes’ CLK-based safety car that paces Europe’s F1 circuit, the CLK63 AMG Black Series is powered by AMG’s prolific 6.2-liter V-8 engine, massaged to an even 500 horsepower. Not only does that number top that of its ragtop sibling by 25 horses, it matches, not coincidentally, the vaunted BMW M6. Even more interesting is the torque story: at 465 lb-ft (unchanged from the cabriolet), the Black Benz smacks the M6 by 82 lb-ft, all of which is available at much lower revs. The power is sent to the rear wheels via Mercedes’ ubiquitous seven-speed automatic, recalibrated for snappier response times while ditching the “comfort” operation mode. From a standstill, 60 mph is said to be only 4.1 seconds away.

Mercedes-Benz claims that the Black Series’ chassis benefits from extensive reengineering, including the fitment of modified suspension components: lightweight sixteen-spoke, 19-inch wheels and 265/30 front and 285/30 rear Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires. Brake discs measure 14.2 inches in the front, 13.0 inches in back, all cross-drilled and clamped by multi-piston AMG calipers.

Airflow through the engine bay is optimized by gaping front intakes, as well as functional air extractors aft of the front fenders. Airflow around the body is managed by lower side sills that are brought out to match the width of the massively flared fenders, as well as a racing style air diffuser, the latter working in concert with the carbon fiber lip spoiler to keep the rear of car on the ground as it approaches its claimed 186-mph top speed. To counter the additional weight of the chassis mods, carbon fiber was used for the fender extensions, diffuser fins and more. Now, while the Black Series coupe doesn’t offer an exotic, M6-like carbon fiber roof, it goes one better by removing the rear seat altogether, rendering it strictly a two-seater (told you this thing was intense). Mercedes promises the Black Series will be lighter than the 4,115 pound CLK63 convertible, but not by how much.

When it’s finally launched later this year, the CLK63 AMG Black Series will cost somewhere in the $130,000-to-$140,000 range, still a relative bargain compared with the CLK DTM, and will be available in select colors, including white, red, silver, and of course, black.

~ show video: http://www.caranddriver.com/carvideo...ctid=715980964

via car & driver

Old 04-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Forum Regular

Deleted Message

Old 04-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Forum Regular

Deleted Message

Last edited by AMGLover; 08-13-2007 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:28 PM

I am sorry changing the badging to try hide it is a Chrysler and trying to put it off as something else is RICE.

Just like the RSX guys putting honda emblems on it. lol.

What's next type R decals? lol.

Me thinks you should have bought a SLK32, if the Chrysler name is not snobbish enough for you.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:22 PM

I do know that the engineers at Chrysler did some marvelous creations back in the late 50's - 60's. Chrysler's history has been ripe with innovation and engineering firsts. All steel bodies, rubber mounted drive trains, hydraulic brakes, safety glass and etc...all this done in the twenty's and thirties under the hands of Walter Chrysler... He died and the bean counters took over in the mid fifties..brand went down hill to be resurrected by the performance cars of the sixties...down hill again after epa...resurrected by Lee...Sold to Daimler Benz when there was money in the bank...never understood that but short term profit...same now as we move to China our industrial base for short term profit...China is building MG's, when do they build Chevys, Ford and Chryslers...Screw it, I'm retired...Gary

Old 04-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullseye
I am sorry changing the badging to try hide it is a Chrysler and trying to put it off as something else is RICE.

Just like the RSX guys putting honda emblems on it. lol.

What's next type R decals? lol.

Me thinks you should have bought a SLK32, if the Chrysler name is not snobbish enough for you.
I personally would of bought the slk32 and yea chrysler not is not snobbish enough for me... if the car was actually made by chrysler I would of not even considered it, but since it is made by mercedes and has a imo a much nicer looking body and even costs less... was a win win situation for me... and I do not think putting honda emblems on an rsx is wrong at all essentially the car is a honda and badging it as that is not wrong at all...

if you say badging it to try to hide that it is a chrysler is ricer? I think its more like its badging by chrysler would be ricer in your classification... for obvious reasons mentioned a million times before... and if you can't call this car a mercedes you can't call it a chrysler either... this does not apply to either of the situations that you mentioned regarding the Mercedes and Honda badging...

BTW rice, has taken on an alternate pejorative meaning for an automobile that has been modified to give impression of high performance, but does not necessarily have any high-performance capabilities...

Excuse my poor english and if the words above are somehow offensive... it was not intended.

Last edited by Sidez; 04-07-2007 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by AMGLover
Back from changing tires! Glad you like chrysler - free country - reality is you sold a chrysler to buy a Mercedes.

- ej
OK, and i will sell my 'mercedes' to buy a chrysler in a few years...its all good. I am not an "elitist". After owning 80+ cars in my life, i have found that ALL manufacturers build some interesting cars. Except BMW.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sidez
I personally would of bought the slk32 and yea chrysler not is not snobbish enough for me... if the car was actually made by chrysler I would of not even considered it, but since it is made by mercedes and has a imo a much nicer looking body and even costs less... was a win win situation for me... and I do not think putting honda emblems on an rsx is wrong at all essentially the car is a honda and badging it as that is not wrong at all...

if you say badging it to try to hide that it is a chrysler is ricer? I think its more like its badging by chrysler would be ricer in your classification... for obvious reasons mentioned a million times before... and if you can't call this car a mercedes you can't call it a chrysler either... this does not apply to either of the situations that you mentioned regarding the Mercedes and Honda badging...
What does it state on the title? Point, set, and match.

BTW rice, has taken on an alternate pejorative meaning for an automobile that has been modified to give impression of high performance, but does not necessarily have any high-performance capabilities...
Rice has many meanings. Rice is something done by ricers. Changing emblems in order to fool the ill informed is rice. Personally most guys like me, who know about cars would find it rather humorous.

Another example of rice, is underglows, and lambo doors. Useless.

Leave that to the kids with the econoboxes, you have a higher niche car. Be happy about it.

EDIT: If you had a 300C, would you take of the 300C emblem and make it a E570? or the SRT-8 version a E61? Because the LX shares the platform of the old E class.

Last edited by Bullseye; 04-07-2007 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbelt
OK, and i will sell my 'mercedes' to buy a chrysler in a few years...its all good. I am not an "elitist". After owning 80+ cars in my life, i have found that ALL manufacturers build some interesting cars. Except BMW.
I agree, NOT !

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DG

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DG

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DN

Old 04-07-2007, 10:48 PM

I have worked for and with German owned companies for over 35 years (I am an Electrical Engineer who has been brought in many times to get their lightweight equipment to work - it never is as rugged as our American designs).
I have listened to arrogance from almost all of them and get quite a chuckle as I bail them out.

I try to think of my Crossfire as Chrysler. It makes me want to puke that it is basically a Mercedes (they have always made some of the ugliest cars on the planet, imo).
Remember the clunky 6 speed is Mercedes junk!!
The beautiful design (i.e artwork is definitely not Mercedes) and is the ONLY reason I bought the car.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:25 PM

If any of you are really interested in Chrysler heritage, get and read the book "CHRYSLER The Life And Times Of An Automotive Genius" by Vincent Curcio. ISBN # 0-19-507896-9. It's a fairly new book, written in 2000, and is the only and most comprehensive book written about Walter Chrysler, "a man whose success came from his deep understanding of engineering and his total commitment to the quality of his vehicles".

Old 04-07-2007, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by RPM
When people ask what it is, I tell them it's a Mercedes with a Chrysler body on it. 100% true or not, it seems to satisfy them.
It's actually the best of both companies -- quality MB engineering and super Chrysler design. That's why the car is such a winner, but is so misunderstood by people who really don't care much about what they drive (which is most of them, of course). I just call it a Crossfire SRT/AMG and smile...

Old 04-08-2007, 03:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullseye
Rice has many meanings. Rice is something done by ricers. Changing emblems in order to fool the ill informed is rice. Personally most guys like me, who know about cars would find it rather humorous.

EDIT: If you had a 300C, would you take of the 300C emblem and make it a E570? or the SRT-8 version a E61? Because the LX shares the platform of the old E class.
the ill informed are not fooled at all... no one is fooled calling an acura a honda is the truth and nothing, but the truth... calling the crossfire a mercedes is also just about as accurate as you can get... and as you say changing emblems in order to fool the ill informed would be something like me putting an aston martin badge on my car or all the 300c (s) with the bentley badges that i am starting to see rather frequently under your definition... that would be rice...

and no I would not rebadge the 300c because being based on a platform is not nearly enough to be considered a make of that specific company... but if it had the engine of the mercedes as well as a creation in the same plant than yes I would consider it mercedes and not chrysler... and would likely debadge the car of any chrysler emblems... as they had little to do with the building of the car...

again I state that AMG Lover, me and others who share similar views are not liars and are not misinformed or attempting to misinform anyone we are just staying true to what the car is who it is made by and where it is produced.. and once again I state that i am not fond of any kind of "rice", activities, but believe that we are only presenting ourselves as people who are proud of what the car is, who made it, what parts were used, and where the car was made...

Old 04-08-2007, 03:37 AM

i agree, i wouldn't rebadge mine, but all those facts and the fact that the car is i believe composed of 66% mercedes parts makes it somewhat, you know, viable to be considered a benz. i don't think its rice to label a is300 an alteza or a 86 corolla a trueno or things like that. its just a matter of preference. if people feel the need to change the label on the car, i guess it makes them feel better or something, more power to you. i just wouldn't do it personally.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:08 AM

the ill informed are not fooled at all... no one is fooled calling an acura a honda is the truth and nothing, but the truth... calling the crossfire a mercedes is also just about as accurate as you can get... and as you say changing emblems in order to fool the ill informed would be something like me putting an aston martin badge on my car or all the 300c (s) with the bentley badges that i am starting to see rather frequently under your definition... that would be rice...

and no I would not rebadge the 300c because being based on a platform is not nearly enough to be considered a make of that specific company... but if it had the engine of the mercedes as well as a creation in the same plant than yes I would consider it mercedes and not chrysler... and would likely debadge the car of any chrysler emblems... as they had little to do with the building of the car...

again I state that AMG Lover, me and others who share similar views are not liars and are not misinformed or attempting to misinform anyone we are just staying true to what the car is who it is made by and where it is produced.. and once again I state that i am not fond of any kind of "rice", activities, but believe that we are only presenting ourselves as people who are proud of what the car is, who made it, what parts were used, and where the car was made...
It's rice, regardless of its innards, origin, etc, the XF is not a Mercedes Benz. It is a Chrysler Crossfire, if it were a MB, you could have bought a Mercedes Benz XF.

Do you see people with Pontiac Vibes, putting on toyota emblems and TRD stickers all over it? NO, because it is extremely lemo and lame.
Do you see people with Land Rovers with the 4.4L throwing BMW badges on it? And if you do...yikes.

I do not agree changing the emblems at all. I just find it extremely stupid. Same goes for the guys with GTO's, that throw Holden badges on it. Or I think my personal favorite is the Cobra Emblems on a GT. lol.

If you want to debadge fine...try hiding the fact that your embarrassed to be driving a chrysler. But putting some other badge on there and trying to pose it as something greater than a 25k car is rice. End of story.

In some cases I am for debadging as it makes the car come out cleaner. But never because I am trying to hide what it is. I would rather been known as driving a Chrysler than to be known as a poser.

Last edited by Bullseye; 04-08-2007 at 04:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Dump the brand!