Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Nice write up in the Washington Times

Old 05-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nice write up in the Washington Times

This guy has good taste...and a good reporter.

http://washingtontimes.com/autoweeke...5635-6603r.htm

Old 05-05-2007, 12:03 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Nice write up in the Washington Times

Yes, that was a fair & honest review. I don't think he gave the Xfire's cornering enough credit, and he didn't mention the great breaking and tight turning circle. Still, at least he didn't come with an axe to grind, as lots of reviewers seem to.

It's sad that the car was a sales flop A lot of passion went into the car I think, and Chrysler took a risk, even when they were strapped for cash.

In the end, I think the main reason for the car's demise was price. Snobs don't drop 35k on a car with a Chrysler badge. Another reason may be the obsession with horsepower ratings. There are so many aspects of performance other than straight line acceleration, but that gets all the attention. Then again, Chrysler didn't advertise it! I never saw an Xfire ad until I went to YouTube. The car is so friggin sexy all they'd have to do is rotate the car on a platform and film it and they'd have a 30-sec commercial that would bring em in to the showroom.

How could they ***** up selling a car like the Xfire?

Old 05-05-2007, 01:19 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Media

Lots of things went wrong.

1) Currency exchange rates killed Euro denominated products in the USA. Chinese, Korean, and most Asian products fair better; hence the Honda, Kia, and Lexus etc auto sales. Even when assembled in the USA, most major parts are built in Asia.

Take a trip to Europe - It's expensive. When Europeans travel to the USA - It's like us going to Mexico. Funny Money (another way to finance the war and deficit - make our currency cheap) If you take a good hard look at the $20 or $10 bill with a jewelers loop, chances are you will see the ink splattered - with only so many printing presses, ya gotta crank em' up 24/7/365 to supply the currency demand for this low interest rate economy; hence the sloppy bills.

2) A booming European market with consumers demanding more MB's - not Crossfire’s.

3) Poor market research prior to launch - I don't think Chrysler even new what market segment would like the car and why - I think that’s the main reason there was no successful advertising.

4) Price - too many other vehicles in the $35K - $45K price range more desirable the Crossfire, whether it's seating, cargo, horsepower etc.
Chrysler should have marketed the car at $19K for the Base - $25K for the Limited - $32K for the SRT-6. They would have sold more units, made more profit and catered to the men who did not want to drive another rice racer. They could have imported the parts and had them assembled in US or China.

Chrysler goofed! But I'm happy I got mine 06' Limited for under $25K!

Old 05-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Forum Regular
Talking Re: Nice write up in the Washington Times

Now that was a very fair assessment and up front. Much better than some goofball from Europe who says the Crossfire looks to him like a dog hunched over and getting ready to take a number 2...

Old 05-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
Media

Lots of things went wrong.

1) Currency exchange rates killed Euro denominated products in the USA. Chinese, Korean, and most Asian products fair better; hence the Honda, Kia, and Lexus etc auto sales. Even when assembled in the USA, most major parts are built in Asia.

Take a trip to Europe - It's expensive. When Europeans travel to the USA - It's like us going to Mexico. Funny Money (another way to finance the war and deficit - make our currency cheap) If you take a good hard look at the $20 or $10 bill with a jewelers loop, chances are you will see the ink splattered - with only so many printing presses, ya gotta crank em' up 24/7/365 to supply the currency demand for this low interest rate economy; hence the sloppy bills.

2) A booming European market with consumers demanding more MB's - not Crossfire’s.

3) Poor market research prior to launch - I don't think Chrysler even new what market segment would like the car and why - I think that’s the main reason there was no successful advertising.

4) Price - too many other vehicles in the $35K - $45K price range more desirable the Crossfire, whether it's seating, cargo, horsepower etc.
Chrysler should have marketed the car at $19K for the Base - $25K for the Limited - $32K for the SRT-6. They would have sold more units, made more profit and catered to the men who did not want to drive another rice racer. They could have imported the parts and had them assembled in US or China.

Chrysler goofed! But I'm happy I got mine 06' Limited for under $25K!
Wow. That's a great analysis. Lots to think about. Thanks, and I'm jealous of your amazing Xfire deal!

Old 05-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bigpapapuff
Now that was a very fair assessment and up front. Much better than some goofball from Europe who says the Crossfire looks to him like a dog hunched over and getting ready to take a number 2...
Yeah, that guy really pissed me off. That was just a joke. Must have had something against the company or didn't get a payoff or something. ******.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good article, except for the part when he says that the car has great seats with plenty of lower back support. hahaha, yeah right!