Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Reset computer after oil change?

Old 05-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Reset computer after oil change?

Steve,

Can you dig up that article I would like to read it. I was a little skeptical about the TopSider too so I measured what I reclaimed from using the drain plug compared to what I extracted with the TopSider and I got more from the TopSider. I am wondering if it is because I use ramps in order to get under the car that it doesn't allow all of the oil to drain out through the plug since the car is at an angle?

Old 05-31-2007, 08:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Idaho
Steve,

Can you dig up that article I would like to read it. I was a little skeptical about the TopSider too so I measured what I reclaimed from using the drain plug compared to what I extracted with the TopSider and I got more from the TopSider. I am wondering if it is because I use ramps in order to get under the car that it doesn't allow all of the oil to drain out through the plug since the car is at an angle?
I don't know where CrossfireSSS got the article, I just ran a cross it surfing the site. But as I stated in one of the previous post in this thread, make sure your oil pan is level, then jack up the car a little on the opposite side of the drain plug. This way you are going to get all of the sediment and nasty crap out, and let the car sit for at least 15 minutes like that before putting the plug back in. Sorry I couldn't help you on the article, but you might PM CrossfireSSS and find out where he got it. I was told by a friend that the Topsider gadget was designed to remove oil from a vehicle that happened to get over filled.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:08 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

To anyone who cares I called harborfreight.com yesterday and cancelled my order for the Topsider. Just going to do it the old fashion way. (Not to mention hfreight.com had the product backordered for approximately 20 days!) I am sure this is somewhere in a post but is the jack that comes with the car relatively simple to use?

I was thinking of purchasing ramps but now it seems as if that might not get all the gunk and oil out of the car!

Old 05-31-2007, 10:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrobinso
To anyone who cares I called harborfreight.com yesterday and cancelled my order for the Topsider. Just going to do it the old fashion way. (Not to mention hfreight.com had the product backordered for approximately 20 days!) I am sure this is somewhere in a post but is the jack that comes with the car relatively simple to use?

I was thinking of purchasing ramps but now it seems as if that might not get all the gunk and oil out of the car!
Just make sure the bottom of the oil pan from front to back is level, and it is best if you can raise the side of the car a little opposite of the drain plug.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys seriously? I been changing oil for better part of 30 yrs, on vettes, my crossfire, grand national, iroc-Z just to name a few, the topsider thing is for dealers to save time PERIOD...if your too lazy to get under your car. Go to jiffy lube and let them rape you. Personally, I like it under my car, you can inspect other things that might not look right. Something you will definitly miss topsideing it. And, they make oil plugs with magnets... Wanna guess why? Geez. Get your a$$ under the car and scope thing out, change the oil while your there...

Old 05-16-2015, 05:01 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Binky
Guys seriously? I been changing oil for better part of 30 yrs, on vettes, my crossfire, grand national, iroc-Z just to name a few, the topsider thing is for dealers to save time PERIOD...if your too lazy to get under your car. Go to jiffy lube and let them rape you. Personally, I like it under my car, you can inspect other things that might not look right. Something you will definitly miss topsideing it. And, they make oil plugs with magnets... Wanna guess why? Geez. Get your a$$ under the car and scope thing out, change the oil while your there...
Geez, an 8 year old thread revived, this has got to be some record.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Geez, an 8 year old thread revived, this has got to be some record.

Records are made to be broken, we'll take note of this one and see if anybody breaks it anytime soon. LOL

Old 05-21-2015, 08:21 AM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
Records are made to be broken, we'll take note of this one and see if anybody breaks it anytime soon. LOL

Careful, peeps just might look for the first one, and post some obscure comment. Cannot beat that record, eh?

Old 02-03-2019, 08:51 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know this is an old link and post but I tried resetting the FSS to get it to 10,000 miles and it only display 7,000 on a 2004 Crossfire. Is that normal, following the procedure referenced above?

Old 02-03-2019, 09:45 AM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

It resets to 7,000 miles. If you drive it on highways only, in moderate temperatures, the miles will not decrement as fast and you may get over 10,000 miles between changes. But the display resets to 7,000.

I change mine around 5500 miles - IMO, anyone who would go 10,000 miles on oil, no matter what the FSS says, should not be allowed to OWN a car.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 02-03-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by mariontr
I know this is an old link and post but I tried resetting the FSS to get it to 10,000 miles and it only display 7,000 on a 2004 Crossfire. Is that normal, following the procedure referenced above?
The 10,000 figure is what cars that use kilometres for distance get at the FSS reset, so 7,000 miles is correct.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:11 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks pizzaguy and onehundred80, it is much appreciated. Happy Sunday

Old 02-03-2019, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Dave is, of course, right.

But it has bugged me for some time that 7000 miles is NOT 10,00 KM:

Damn Germans anyway.....

Old 02-03-2019, 12:28 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Dave is, of course, right.

But it has bugged me for some time that 7000 miles is NOT 10,00 KM:

Damn Germans anyway.....
Probably more of a design condition that the general public would accept. 10,000 KM just is more acceptable as a standard than 11,265 KM. Same argument holds true going the other way. My $0.02.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:45 PM
Administrator

No argument there. But I still blame the Germans.

Like I blame Celine Dion for the low sales of the car in the first place.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:36 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Dave answered in English kilometres, its 11,000 Canadian kilometres between oil changes.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Dave answered in English kilometres, its 11,000 Canadian kilometres between oil changes.

I wondered about that when I wrote it, I changed my oil and FSS in October and I obviously saw the figure but it is 8 years since I saw it in kilometres. Pizzaguys post made me think again but not enough to do anything about it. I never get anywhere near that figure anyway, I change the oil every 3,000 mile or every 12 months whichever comes first, mostly it’s the 12 months.

A question that has completely nothing to do with this thread, do cars originally made for the northern states come with a block heater like my Canadian car did? I have asked before but got no answers, it is easy to miss on the car being almost hidden from sight. You do have to buy the cable, which is not too cheap.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-03-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:59 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Well I learned something new today. Where’s the block heater Dave, I’ll go take a look.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
No argument there. But I still blame the Germans.

Like I blame Celine Dion for the low sales of the car in the first place.
I blame Celine Dion for global warming, she opens her mouth and the worlds glaciers move back an inch at least. It is a well documented fact, David Attenborough mentions it in his latest documentary on PBS.
I exaggerate, it is only half an inch at most.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

bluecoup, I learned about the block heater from Dave just after I got my 08 Roadster a couple years back.
I found the heater, just didn't have a clue what it was.
Better with a wrench than a computer so hopefully doing this right by attaching a link to earlier post, https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ification.html
180's response is post #4 I think.
The roadster is stored away heated all winter so would never want to give them the crazy price they wanted for the cable.

Quick Reply: Reset computer after oil change?