Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Tinting headlights to combat annoying condensation!

Old 05-30-2007, 09:16 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tinting headlights to combat annoying condensation!

Hello all. I have thoroughly researched the problem of headlight condensation on the forum and it has been very helpful! There are two types of condensation that occurs inside the fixture. One is actual droplets of moisture that disappear and reappear when the car is exposed to water (sometimes sticking around for a while). The other is a hue/film appearing towards the top of the light (on the interior as well).

Now there are obviously various methods of repairing the problem. Installing a vent is the dealers first method which from what members have said usually is a temporary fix, being that the condensation returns sooner or later. The other fix is replacing the entire unit. Although some dealers put the old wet bulb fixture back into the new casing unit thus not eliminating the problem (the condensation comes back!)!

Today I was looking at used Dodge Vipers on ebay! Don't ask me why, I just like looking at cars. Some of the mid-90 models have tinted head lights which look pretty cool and aggressive. I am wondering if anyone has done this or what you guys would think of tinted headlights on the XFire?

My only reason for doing this would be that you would no longer notice the condensation in the headlights...hopefully, and the recurring problem would not be so aesthetically displeasing! Let me know!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by beasticles; 05-30-2007 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tinting headlights to combat annoying condensation!

why not just throw a silica gel pack inside the headlight? will absorb any moisture that gets in.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:17 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like that would only be a temporary fix? Wouldn't the gel pack reach max absorption and then the condensation would continue? Plus I don't know how I feel about a silica pack flopping around the inside of my light while I'm driving.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:21 PM

The silica gel packs are very commonly used in the retrofitting community (people who basically make their own projector headlights for cars that didn't have them using oem parts from other cars) as a way to combat moisture in the headlights. You'd probably want to add a little sealant around the edge of the light, and correct the venting situation on the back, but a silica pack taped inside the light would do wonders to keeping the humidity down. Wouldn't be of much help if you actually had water getting into the light some how, but if it's fogging up just from built up humidity it should do its job. I imagine the heat from the headlight bulbs would help dry 'em out when the lights are in use too.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a couple questions that may not be worth a damn, but here they are:

I like the idea of the tinting, but was wondering if it would be possible to use any window tint on the exterior of the lamp?

Are the headlamp assemblies fully sealed from the atmosphere? If so could you pull vacuum on the plastic head lamps and that will remove any water condensate, If not what about installing a 12 volt blower to ventilate both head lamps, pull low pressure through both sides?

Old 05-30-2007, 06:58 PM

The headlights are not fully sealed from atmosphere... they can't be with a replaceable bulb.

Most modern headlights are designed with vent systems in them to allow some air flow in and out... probably to help with pressure differentials as the light and the air inside heats up, etc.

I still think the silica packs would work as a great, easy solution.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by saxman
Where would you put the packs so that they wouldn't be visible? I may be confused here.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:25 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saxman
I thnk silica packets would ignite from the heat.