Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Car Storage - Keeping The Mice out

Old 08-20-2008, 12:42 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car Storage - Keeping The Mice out

OK.....I ordered something to keep the mice away, from Critterrepellent.com its guaranteed to keep the DAMN mice away, i'll let u know if it works! I have 2 crossfires parked in outside tent garages, and both have had mice in the engines tearing apart the fiberglass heat sheilds! I'll let u know if it actually works, by the way I evicted the mice and their houses with a high powered air gun!
.......I've also been asking various people i know for cat hair, they just look at me like im CRAZY!!!!!!

Old 08-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Car Storage - Keeping The Mice out

Originally Posted by 70GT6
I have always looked at it as if there is no food around they will find a better place. Like someone else's garage
Originally Posted by antonio311
I have 2 crossfires parked in outside tent garages, and both have had mice in the engines tearing apart the fiberglass heat sheilds! I'll let u know if it actually works, by the way I evicted the mice and their houses with a high powered air gun!
.......I've also been asking various people i know for cat hair, they just look at me like im CRAZY!!!!!!
This is what I was told from a retired telephone company installer/tech about 6 years ago.

The insulation in most wiring is made with organic starch fiberglass material... cell... cellulose... Can't remember the name of it. Having a pre-mature senior moment...

Anywhoo.. it is the insulation that attracts the rodents. Hence, the chewing of wires to get to it. That is the food they are after. 0.o

This is one of those industry facts that seldom creeps down to the consumer, until the consumer has to pay someone in the industry to fix a known problem.

As for being Crazy, that is irrelevant to the task at hand.

Here is a quote taken from http://www.regalind.com/rodent.htm.
For context, keep in mind this site is advertising their "cellulose insulation" product.

"[...]Some limited studies have shown that when mice were given a choice between cellulose insulation and blown fiberglass, the mice tended to prefer the fiberglass more than the cellulose insulation for nesting purposes. One of the reasons cellulose insulation tends to be resistant to rodents is that cellulose insulation does not contain starch. The second reason that cellulose insulation resists vermin is that cellulose insulation normally contains about 12-14% inorganic flame retardant chemicals by weight. These chemicals, particularly boric acid, render the material unpalatable to rodents. As an added sideline, boric acid is used as the active ingredient in some of the more common cockroach insecticide formulations. In summary, cellulose insulation is a fantastic insulative product and in practice the vermin issue is a non-issue."

Last edited by Electric Messiah; 08-20-2008 at 01:52 PM.