Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

What's so good about the Xfire?

Old 10-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's so good about the Xfire?

There, I assume I've got a lot of attention. My question still stands tho. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the car, but I'd like to hear from those more knowledgeable about what makes this car special. I have the Limited with 215 HP and auto trans. It does not have a real intermittent wiper, auto headlights, radio or fan steering wheel controls, rack and pinion steering, 4 valves per cylinder, etc. My Volvo is larger with as much usable power, has more options and a similar sticker price. What does this car have that justifies the price? Mercedes engineering? What does that really mean?

Old 10-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Default Re: What's so good about the Xfire?

The extensive testing on the design, wind resistance, and all of that good stuff is one thing.

The overall look of the car is what gets me.

Have you actually DRIVEN one? Or just putted around in it? They handle exceptionally well for a short wheel base, and they are quite balanced.

To me it is obvious...

I don't need radio controls on my steering wheel when the stereo is less than 24" away from my hands. Same goes for the A/C.

I don't understand the difference between intermittent wipers and what we have on our cars. They aren't 'rain sensing', but they work! I use Rain-X and don't drive in the rain anytime I have the choice, so I guess this doesn't concern me.

Auto-headlights always seem to blow bulbs much quicker - I'd rather not have them.

4valve/cyl would've been nice - but my car seems potent enough 'as is'.

Now, does the car Justify the sticker price? Not in my opinion (probably only because I couldn't afford to pay sticker) - but I paid less than half of sticker, so what do I care?

SQ

Old 10-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Levy
There, I assume I've got a lot of attention. My question still stands tho. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the car, but I'd like to hear from those more knowledgeable about what makes this car special. I have the Limited with 215 HP and auto trans. It does not have a real intermittent wiper, auto headlights, radio or fan steering wheel controls, rack and pinion steering, 4 valves per cylinder, etc. My Volvo is larger with as much usable power, has more options and a similar sticker price. What does this car have that justifies the price? Mercedes engineering? What does that really mean?
What does Nokia 8800 Sirocco have to justify its price?
What does Rolex Super President have to justify its price?
What does Versace Coutre have to justify its price?

3 words... Design, Quality, and Brand.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:27 PM

Initially the styling alone sold me. The car is so unique and gorgeous looking. I loved the gas mileage too. I've gotten 29 MPG out of my limited auto coupe on the highway, I have had 4 cylinder cars that don't get that kind of mileage. The car handles incredibly well, it's very well balanced. It stops on a dime. All of the materials inside the cabin feel very high quality, and in general the car feels very well engineered and buttoned down. Mine has almost 45,000 miles on it now, and it still looks and feels as tight as a new one. It doesn't squeak, shake, rattle, or perform in any way short of new. I loved the almost non-existent servicing the car would need, and love knowing this car will likely go for several hundred thousand miles having Mercedes-Benz mechanicals. The German engineering really is worth the price in that regard. I love all of the little gizmos the car has: tire pressure monitoring system, light bulb burn out monitoring system, traction control, one touch down windows, heated seats, autostick tranny, key with built in remote, automatic retractable spoiler, there are so many I can't even think of right now. I just love the fact this is an American car that's built with wholly German parts in Germany. If this car was marketed by Mercedes-Benz instead of Chrysler, it would likely be a good $10,000 more simply because of that. I love that unique part of the car's heritage. I love the fact they are so limited in quantities too... you see countless 350Z's and Audi TT's, but the Crossfire is an uncommon and commanding sight to this day. Having driven a 350Z, I must say that the Crossfire just exudes a ritzier and certainly more well-built feel. I love the fact that since Chrysler and Mercedes have split, that there will likely be no more Crossfires. We're going to remain an elite club, with unique collector cars one day. :-) I love the attention the car gets too, I paid $16k for mine, but it gets more attention than almost anything on the road. Owning the Crossfire is just plain fun. Yes, it's not the barn burner it could be (unless you own an SRT-6), but I grin from ear to ear almost every time I drive it.

So what don't I like about the Crossfire? Leg and head room, I'm 6'3" and can't get comfortable in the car, it's too cramped. If they could have re-engineered the bulkhead behind the seat, I would be fine. I dislike only having one (albeit neat) cupholder. Non SRT-6 cars could use a little bit more pep. A sunroof would have been nice, the cabin is pretty confining. That's pretty much it, I love my Crossfire!!

Old 10-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Received 349 Likes on 308 Posts

All I can say is: What is not great about the Crossfire, two words (cup holder) that's it !!!

Old 10-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Forum Regular

Marc

You forgot to mention that your Volvo is: Boxy but Good (Dudley Moore in Crazy People, 1990).

Old 10-05-2007, 02:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hear, Hear to all above.

'Nuff said.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:22 PM

You have driven one, right? That did it for me. The feeling you get from driving it and the way people react to it is very much worth it.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:49 PM

It's tough to beat the price and power for a sports car under $20k take that GM with your cheap *** solstice and sky.

For only 215 hp I can hang with the Nissan 350Z automatics with a huge 280 hp motor. and I only paid $17k not to mention comparing the srt crossfire with the porsche, it's total insult to injury after you smoke the S on the road and the porsche owner finds out the price tag of the SRT6, lol.

Last edited by Maxwell; 10-05-2007 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: What's so good about the Xfire?

Originally Posted by ZERACER
All I can say is: What is not great about the Crossfire, two words (cup holder) that's it !!!
My sentiments exactly!!!

Old 10-05-2007, 05:04 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

I purchased a unique car (New SRT-6) that is not a clone of every other car on the road; it cost me less then a new Honda Civic or Toyota Camry and I have the option of blowing the doors off 95% of the cars on the road, it handles awesome and I will be able to use MB parts for years and years to come.

It has plenty of nice features and although I do have a few gripes about the car, I can fix them with aftermarket goodies the way I want for not a whole lot of $$. My car even has cruise control and I never use it.

When I die an old man, many of my family members will be wetting their lips hoping they are the one who gets this classic.

Unless of course I've wrapped it around a sturdy ol' oak tree at 175 MPH; at which point you can just bury me in it.

Last edited by BrianBrave; 10-05-2007 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:46 PM

You are either jerking our chain or totally clueless. You did not pay anywhere near sticker price so your question is BS. You tell me, at the price you paid, can you get a more unique car with the proven and tested drive train?

I am tired of you self involved attention seekers trying to justify your purchases?

The forum is for adult members that enjoy and want to share information.

If you want to whine, go to therapy!

Old 10-05-2007, 07:02 PM

Before I ever drove one I just loved the looks!

Old 10-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There, I assume I've got a lot of attention. My question still stands tho. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the car, but I'd like to hear from those more knowledgeable about what makes this car special. I have the Limited with 215 HP and auto trans. It does not have a real intermittent wiper, auto headlights, radio or fan steering wheel controls, rack and pinion steering, 4 valves per cylinder, etc. My Volvo is larger with as much usable power, has more options and a similar sticker price. What does this car have that justifies the price? Mercedes Volvoengineering? What does that really mean?
This question could have been posted by any number of my closest friends. Most of my close friends are "car guys", serious car guys. (some of you might think that's sad, but you know, birds of a feather and all). Anyway, they've been politely putting up with my 2 1/2 year love affair with this car, and quite frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if they all think I'm losing it.
They like the Crossfire but they like a couple of my other cars even more, and no matter how many good things I tell them about the XF, they just smile to humor me, and then change the subject.
To make some of the statements that you've made puzzles me. I mean mentioning your Volvo in the same context as the Crossfire, isn't like making an apples to oranges comparison. These two cars aren't even in the same "food" group.
We could wax nostalgic all night as to why we all feel the way we do about this car, but I think it boils down to one thing. Either you get it, or you don't. It's as simple as that.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERACER
I will probably get kicked around in the forum for saying this:

I have yet to find anything I really don't like. Why don't people like the cup holder? It holds any "car" style plastic cup, styrofoam cup, soda bottle, or can I've ever put in it - even in spirited driving. I prefer it over the standard "junk collectors" in my Fords.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:01 PM
She can ride with me ;)

It's actually very simple. Crossfires were made for people that like two things: driving and style.

Volvo's were made for people that like two completely different things: luxury transportation and reliability.

Note the VERY big difference between driving and transportation. Crossfire owners love to drive - the actual act. I don't mean riding, and I don't mean being isolated from the road while you occasionally consider your surroundings and make minor adjustments until you get to your destination. I would consider the difference between Crossfire owners and Volvo owners to be like the difference between fighter pilots and cruise ship captains. And I don't mean that in any insulting way. It's simply a difference in priorities, wants, and needs. There's nothing wrong with wanting a luxurious and reliable ride to your destination. But to me, that's a complete snooze.

Crossfires drivers look at an S curve and see an opportunity. Volvo drivers see a road hazard.

Crossfire owners are perfectly content to put up with many "down sides" of the vehicle because of what it does for them when they get behind the wheel. I couldn't care less about a cup holder when I hit an S curve at 90 mph. I couldn't care less about the cost of my tires when I can lay down a donut on dry pavement at the drop of a hat. I couldn't care less about the lack of storage space when all I need is a tank of gas and the open road.

It all depends on what you're getting a car for. You wouldn't get a duffle bag when you really need a briefcase. Don't get a Crossfire when you really need a station wagon.

Last edited by tom2112; 10-05-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You said it. Your Volvo is larger. A SUV can have more features, displacement and cargo room, but you don't compare it because it is designed for a different purpose. The Crossfire was never a "Luxury", "Technological Innovation" or "Features" car. It seems your need for these things isn't being met. It's easy to see why you are disenchanted with it.

For drivers like me that just want a fun and small car, the Crossfire fits the bill. Perfectly.

Crossfires are great cars for their market, however niche it is. (A little too niche judging from sales figures.) For drivers outside of the niche, I can definitely understand why questions like yours arise.

Last edited by SRT6nTulsa; 10-05-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The German engineering has given it (IMHO) exceptional and hard to quantify "drive feel". I feel as though I put on the crossfire - not get into it.

This is the most fun (pleasurable) car to drive since my '85 BMW 635. After getting a surprise upgraded on a car rental to a Crossfire I decided to get one - I traded in my 540 6-speed without regrets. I now look for excuses to drive again.

It also looks good - though a bit too flashy for me, but I put up with that.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I traded a 1999 Mazda Miata for my 2005 Crossfire Limited Roadster with the 6 speed manual.

The Mazda Miata is generally considered to be one of the finest drivers cars on the road today. It's very light (about 2,300 lbs in 1999 model year trim) with one of the finest gearboxes in production today. It changes direction like a housefly, is beautifully balanced, extremely communicative, and supremely tossable. It is the single most raced brand/model of car sold in the USA. Those who complain about it being underpowered are the same people who insist on nothing less than a Viper or Z06 yet are the first to stuff those in the wall on a track day because they have no clue how to handle 500 HP. But they think it makes them look like real men. Newsflash - real men don't mate their sports cars with Armco or K-rails.

The Crossfire outweighs my old Miata by about 800 lbs, a not insubstantial amount. It outweighs the current gen Miata by about 500 lbs, which is getting closer. It also generates some 50 more HP than the current Miata (which already has about 25 HP more than mine did) and nearly 100 lb-ft more torque than the current Miata (which already has about 30 lb-ft more than mine did). This additional power so overwhelms the additional weight that the weight difference is meaningless. The suspension of the Crossfire is much more supple in every day driving than that of the Miata, yet the overall grip offered by the incredibly stiff chassis - substantially moreso than the flexible flyer based 1999 Miata - and wide, sticky tires makes the Crossfire every bit as tossable on tight mountain twisties as the Miata. Now add that extra power and torque and the fun quotient rises even higher in the Crossfire. When the road opens up and you can seriously put the power down, the Miata quickly becomes a fading spec in the rearview mirror of the Crossfire. I knew the Miata very well and it was always in its element on local mountain roads. I've spent hours and hours playing around on these roads, but the first time traveling them in the Crossfire was a revelation. Hell, I even had an aggressive four wheel alignment done on the Miata and the Crossfire will, I swear, match it move for move.

Now add in the additional luxury of the Crossfire, the much higher build quality, the quieter cabin, the truly unique and gorgeous styling, and the fact that you can get a loaded Limited Roadster for the same price as a base model 2008 Miata and there is no comparison in my mind. Add $10,000 to the current asking price of the Crossfire (I just paid $21,000 for my 2005 Limited Roadster with 32 miles on the clock) and it's still a bargain. I used to put about 2,500 miles a year on my Miata and enjoyed the hell out of it. I've put almost 2,500 miles on my Crossfire in less than 3 months and am loving every second of it. I see Miatas on the road all the time and know the owner is enjoying one of the finest "pure" sports cars on the planet, yet there is no longing in my heart for "the good old days" because for me, "the good old days" are right now baby. I have not regretted replacing the Miata with a Crossfire for a fraction of a nanosecond. My friends were collectively shocked, stunned and amazed that I'd get rid of that little Japanese roadster, but they can see it my eyes, hear it in my voice. I really, really liked that Mazda, but I abso-freakin-lutely love the Crossfire.

The Miata is one of the finest pure sportscars on the planet. The Crossfire is perhaps the most misunderstood and underappreciated car on the planet. I am thrilled to be one of the fortunate ones to have owned a Miata, and even more thrilled that I "get" the Crossfire.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Mike-in-Orange,

You have put this so well, I'm speechless...

Excellent and on the 'Money' explanation!!!

Quick Reply: What's so good about the Xfire?