Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Gas station rant

Old 11-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gas station rant

Well I went out to put some gas at my Local Exxon on the run gas station that I go to very often... I always fill $20 when I am at about 1/8th tank to get to around 1/2... As some of you may know new jersey is one of the only states where you do not fill your own gas, but have a worker do it for you... Anyways I tell the guy as usual $20 93 octane... and I wait... after the machine has rung for the filling to be finished the guy comes back and I always ask for receipt for 2 reasons 1 being work related and other being to check how much was filled and of what...

I get my receipt back and it says REGULAR 87... 6.8 gallons filled... I am like ok WHAT THE [****] the guy proceeds to tell me that the machine printed out the wrong receipt and that he really put 93 octane in my car and he tells me it has been doing it all day... I am like Oh so you really filled less than the 6.8 gallons stated on the receipt he tells me yes as the 93 octane is more expensive I am like ok fill $20 more 93 octane... I do this to check his bluff about the machine not working and this time the receipt printed out correctly 93 octane 6.2 gallons...

I go in to talk to the manager about his employee lying to me... and filling my tank with unacceptable gas for my engine mind you I have an srt with even lower compression, let alone even the n/a crossfire 91 octane is recommend for... I tell the manager what happened to me... and I tell him I will not pay for other people's mistakes and WILL not pay for the 87 octane put in my car... he says I must pay and that mistakes happen or he will call the police... I am getting heated and I tell him fine call the cops...

Cops come I tell them the story basically cop replies with lying is not a crime, but not paying for gas is... I tell him fine take out the gas from the car I do not want it... officer refuses to comply with this and proceeds to tell me mistakes happen and if I have a problem with it to proceed to civil court...

In the end I comply... go in pay for someone making a mistake, than lying to me, and putting my engine in danger... Welcome to UNITED STATES...

Old 11-17-2007, 07:48 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Gas station rant

Give them Hell man.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidez
Cops come I tell them the story basically cop replies with lying is not a crime.
But tell a cop a lie, and watch how fast it turns into a crime.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mistakes happen...BS! If they had put antifreeze in your engine during an oil change, they'd have to fix the problem. This cop had his head up his *** (nothin' unusual there). Ideally, you'd have called a tow truck to haul the car to a dealership to have the gas siphoned out and then charge the f'in gas station for the bill (probably have to take them to court for that. Unfortunately, not worth the time or effort.) Too bad the system works the way it does. Looking at the bright side, your engine will probably be fine. In the future, I'd be standing outside the car during the filling of the tank to verify what's being put in.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by prowler
Mistakes happen...BS! If they had put antifreeze in your engine during an oil change, they'd have to fix the problem. This cop had his head up his *** (nothin' unusual there). Ideally, you'd have called a tow truck to haul the car to a dealership to have the gas siphoned out and then charge the f'in gas station for the bill (probably have to take them to court for that. Unfortunately, not worth the time or effort.) Too bad the system works the way it does. Looking at the bright side, your engine will probably be fine. In the future, I'd be standing outside the car during the filling of the tank to verify what's being put in.
Just request a police report, save you receipt have you lawwer write them a letter, explaining you will settle for $100 and if any engine damage shows up within the next year they will be responsible, bet you get a $100 check real quick...

Old 11-17-2007, 10:54 PM

There is Criminal Law and Civil Law, the cop did nothing wrong, at best he told you the truth, its a Civil Matter, in turn Yes not paying for the fuel would be a crime. Cops can't and don't enforce Civil Law...

At best you could have parked the vehicle at the pump until they took the gas out, as private property they can't cite you...and I'm sure after having people waiting someone would have taken the fuel out...or sue and settle for a few bucks...Like Derf mentioned...

(I lived in NJ, Cherry Hill, the gas station I went to the owner and I had a deal I got my own gas, we never had an issue, but then again I always went before going to work at 0400)...

In another view, things like that happen in Kuwait, the person (National) beats the hell out of the poor attendant (Indian/Pakistani etc) who makes $50 US a month, and losses his job...after serving time in jail...and being deported...does that make more sense...I've seen it happen...

And yes to lie to Law Enforcement personnel is against the law because they made a law for it...most states do...you don't like a law get it changed...Reason in AZ they are called Revised Statutes...it would drive patrol officers crazy...

Last edited by Panzer1; 11-17-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It is obvious the gas station attendant made a mistake. They would never intentionally sell you a cheaper product than what you asked for when one with a much higher profit margin is available! You would have been better off just driving to a different station and topping off.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Rob M
It is obvious the gas station attendant made a mistake. They would never intentionally sell you a cheaper product than what you asked for when one with a much higher profit margin is available! You would have been better off just driving to a different station and topping off.
Mistakes happen sure it is fine, but for him to lie about his mistake, than proceed to tell me I must pay for his mistake and lie is not fine...

Old 11-18-2007, 11:25 AM

Next time go PA or NY for gas...or better yet move from NJ. /sarcasm

Jersey has some pretty stupid rules. I wonder what would happen if it were a diesel engine and they put gasoline in there and they gave you that line of bull.

You could have jsut filled the rest of the tank with 93 and been fine. A half/half mixture won't be as bad. Granted it would have been more money (another $20) but at least it would give you peace of mind.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by GatorLCA
Next time go PA or NY for gas...or better yet move from NJ. /sarcasm

Jersey has some pretty stupid rules. I wonder what would happen if it were a diesel engine and they put gasoline in there and they gave you that line of bull.

You could have jsut filled the rest of the tank with 93 and been fine. A half/half mixture won't be as bad. Granted it would have been more money (another $20) but at least it would give you peace of mind.
I am sure if i had diesel put in there... the reply would be the same... and I would very likely get arrested for refusing to pay for the disel i never wanted haha...

Yea that is what i did add another 20 of 93 octane and i still don't have peace of mind...

Old 11-18-2007, 04:51 PM

Not to take away anything from your story.....I would be pissed too if I caught the guy lying to me. But I have actully made that mistake myself. I have acutally put 87 octane in a car that requires premium. Just add a bottle of octane booster it will get you through until the next fill up without any damage.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:26 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The poor cop gets stuck in the middle again! It is a civil matter, and he did all he could do for you. Isn't it funny how if he's on "your" side, or coming to someones rescue, we're great, but if he takes the other side, he's an *******?? Cops are just regular people, we just have a little better knoledge of the law. Some of us even drive crossfires.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:56 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well I went out to put some gas at my Local Exxon on the run gas station that I go to very often... I always fill $20 when I am at about 1/8th tank to get to around 1/2... As some of you may know new jersey is one of the only states where you do not fill your own gas, but have a worker do it for you... Anyways I tell the guy as usual $20 93 octane... and I wait... after the machine has rung for the filling to be finished the guy comes back and I always ask for receipt for 2 reasons 1 being work related and other being to check how much was filled and of what...

I get my receipt back and it says REGULAR 87... 6.8 gallons filled... I am like ok WHAT THE [****] the guy proceeds to tell me that the machine printed out the wrong receipt and that he really put 93 octane in my car and he tells me it has been doing it all day... I am like Oh so you really filled less than the 6.8 gallons stated on the receipt he tells me yes as the 93 octane is more expensive I am like ok fill $20 more 93 octane... I do this to check his bluff about the machine not working and this time the receipt printed out correctly 93 octane 6.2 gallons...

I go in to talk to the manager about his employee lying to me... and filling my tank with unacceptable gas for my engine mind you I have an srt with even lower compression, let alone even the n/a crossfire 91 octane is recommend for... I tell the manager what happened to me... and I tell him I will not pay for other people's mistakes and WILL not pay for the 87 octane put in my car... he says I must pay and that mistakes happen or he will call the police... I am getting heated and I tell him fine call the cops...

Cops come I tell them the story basically cop replies with lying is not a crime, but not paying for gas is... I tell him fine take out the gas from the car I do not want it... officer refuses to comply with this and proceeds to tell me mistakes happen and if I have a problem with it to proceed to civil court...

In the end I comply... go in pay for someone making a mistake, than lying to me, and putting my engine in danger... Welcome to UNITED STATES...
It sounds like you not only wasted money but also time...File a complaint with the better business bureau...chances are there are already a few filed for that station considering what happened to you.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by CALL911
The poor cop gets stuck in the middle again! It is a civil matter, and he did all he could do for you. Isn't it funny how if he's on "your" side, or coming to someone's rescue, we're great, but if he takes the other side, he's an *******?? Cops are just regular people, we just have a little better knowledge of the law. Some of us even drive crossfires.
Maybe you are right I dont know the law.. But let us just imagine if instead of putting 87 (can't belive i am agreeing to 87), the idiot put diesel and I refused to pay for it, the officer would have probably cuffed me down... interesting law...

I am not saying it is clearly the officers fault, but look at the system... Imagine you walk into a store and you would like to purchase a new black shirt, but they accidentally scan a used dirty red shirt are you going to tell them it is ok mistakes happen...?

Old 11-19-2007, 03:53 AM
Life is random...so am I.

Let's make it more interesting...You take your car in for service, to have something taken care of...and the repair facility does a sub-standard job. I.e. saying the replaced your transmission when all they really did was replace the valve body and change the fluid. In Michigan that is a CRIMINAL case...because you asked for a service and they told you that service was done even when it in fact wasn't.

Where is the difference with your problem...You asked for Premium, and they gave you regular...and then told you it was premium.

Auto facilities are mandated by the NHTSA to do work and perform services to a "MANUFACTURER MINIMUM"...meaning that they cannot provide a service that is below what the manufacturer did.

I once got a repair place in trouble because I needed some valve work...they told me it would be a 2 angle valve job, and a "Premium" 3 angle valve job would cost extra. They even put it in writing for me...

Old 11-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Real Basic, dumb question here...

WHY ARE YOU NOT ALLOWED TO PUMP YOUR OWN GAS IN NJ???

Old 11-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NeverEnough
Real Basic, dumb question here...

WHY ARE YOU NOT ALLOWED TO PUMP YOUR OWN GAS IN NJ???
Two words:

Molotov Cocktails.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Two words:

Molotov Cocktails.
Now that's funny...I don't care who you are!!!

Old 11-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you are right I dont know the law.. But let us just imagine if instead of putting 87 (can't belive i am agreeing to 87), the idiot put diesel and I refused to pay for it, the officer would have probably cuffed me down... interesting law...

I am not saying it is clearly the officers fault, but look at the system... Imagine you walk into a store and you would like to purchase a new black shirt, but they accidentally scan a used dirty red shirt are you going to tell them it is ok mistakes happen...?
I feel your pain. All I'm saying is, don't blame the police because you didn't get the answer you wanted. By the way, I personally have pumped premium gas in my cruiser and when I went and got the reciept, it said regular with a different gallon amount to compensate for the price diff.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:40 AM

Man, sorry to hear that. What a bunch of crap. Like you said, good thing it wasn't diesel. Next time, I'd watch these clowns like a hawk to make sure they pump the right gas in. You really shouldn't have to do this and for $3.30/gal the attendant should be polishing your shoes! -Norm

Quick Reply: Gas station rant