Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

trade crossfire for Z4 coupe?

Old 11-23-2007, 06:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trade crossfire for Z4 coupe?

Hey folks,

I have a 2004 coupe 6 speed with 8,000 miles. The Z4 coupe is a 2007, 3.0si, 6 speed, silver on black, with 4,000 miles.

The switch will cost me about $24,000.

I am seriously considering the trade and would welcome any views on it.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:00 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: trade crossfire for Z4 coupe?

Originally Posted by zless
Hey folks,

I have a 2004 coupe 6 speed with 8,000 miles. The Z4 coupe is a 2007, 3.0si, 6 speed, silver on black, with 4,000 miles.
Just so you know up front, I'm a fan of the Z4 coupe, so don't think I'm being prejudice here, because I'm not.
I like variety as much as the next guy, probably more. But for 24k, I'd keep my '04 6 spd. and find a "new" SRT6.
2 is always better than one. Well, most of the time.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:11 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Just so you know up front, I'm a fan of the Z4 coupe, so don't think I'm being prejudice here, because I'm not.
I like variety as much as the next guy, probably more. But for 24k, I'd keep my '04 6 spd. and find a "new" SRT6.
2 is always better than one. Well, most of the time.
Yes, if you're going to pay 24K plus your car? I do this and have 2 XFs.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:53 AM
RPM

Hey folks,
No way I would do it. To me, a Z4, even an M, is not worth giving up a Crossfire and another 24k.
You could buy a nearly new SRT6 coupe and keep your 2004 for that price.
Just my .02

Old 11-23-2007, 08:07 AM

thanks for the replies.

the 2 car scenario is not a possible one for me given that I live in a loft with 1 parking spot.

the issue for me is whether the z4 coupe will offer a better overall experience.

the look of the Z4 coupe is to me one of the best recent designs, and to be frank trumps the crossfire by far in my view...but I am also very interested in whether the overall driving experience would actually be better in the Z4 coupe, I like torque and have heard rumblings that the 3.0si is not torquey.

BTW the economics of it don't necessarily dictate since the crossfire will arguably depreciate at a much higher rate making its real cost probably higher than the Z4's.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:22 AM

my brother owns a z4 that i drive ocasionaly top rattles alot other than that i like it. i don't see the advantage you will get tired of the z4 just like the x fire z4 hold value better but cars are a liability not an investment at least cares like these. keep the crossfire and save your dough. i prefer the x fire. my brother needs the status so he prefers the bmw because it is a bmw. just another car to me there are some cars that do it for me just not a z4. i think it is over rated.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:34 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Trade in your XFire and get an SRT6, not a Z4. That solves all problems, you'll have one car, you won't be losing as much money, and you'll have a higher performance vehicle that has more room and more exclusivity. I know I am biased but I would save myself some cash and get a faster car any day of the week.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:12 AM

BTW the economics of it don't necessarily dictate since the crossfire will arguably depreciate at a much higher rate making its real cost probably higher than the Z4's.
I find this incredibly hard to believe, based on the #'s you provided they're likely looking to charge 38k for the Z4, A used 2007 with 4k on it, looking at the roadsters it seems pretty certain that the Z4 will be worth 24k well before the Crossfire is worth nothing, nevermind time value of money.

My friend was looking at the 3.0si roadsters, and I convinced him to take a look at the SRT-6, needless to say he picked up an used SRT-6 Coupe with 11K on it for 21k, the only real downside in the compare is it's an auto, and the styling isn't as sharp, but the difference in cost and performance make up for that.

Goodluck with whatever you choose.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrobinso
trade in your XFire and get an SRT6, not a Z4. That solves all problems, you'll have one car, you won't be losing as much money, and you'll have a higher performance vehicle that has more room and more exclusivity. I know I am biased but I would save myself some cash and get a faster car any day of the week.
I think this is the best advice for your situation. I traded an '04 Z4 for my SRT6. I liked the Z4 but truly love my SRT6.

If you are looking for performance gains, you will get it with the stock SRT6. Now for the money you will get for selling or trading your current Crossfire compared to the Crossfire AND $24K, you could use some of the savings for a new intake, pullyes and other enhancements such as springs wheels and tires and still have $ left over. You would have a far superior vehicle in every respect.

Or you could just drive it as it is and put the money in the bank!

Old 11-23-2007, 09:21 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey folks,

~ coming from a bmw guy... for the price difference... i would keep the crossfire imo.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:52 PM

The BMW is tiny and a chick car IMO (no offense). If all you are concerned about is image, go for the Bimmer. Other than that, the deal is a waste of money.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:02 PM

excellent points made by all.

in the end, my true motivation is the look of the Z4 coupe, i think it is just a joy to behold.

i have also always wanted an inline BMW 6 which is so buttery smooth.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:59 PM

Nevermind, I thought you were talking about the Z4 roadster. GO FOR THE Z4 COUPE, that thing is awesome! I almost bought a brand new one, but found the SRT6 instead for less than half the price, so I went for it and then purchased a couple of motorcycles with the money saved. The Z coupe is beautiful and is rare compared to the regular Z4.

Last edited by cgocifer; 11-23-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:05 PM

If anyone forgot what the coupe looks like, here it is. Be sure to post pics of the one you get!

http://twoday.net/static/iaablog/ima...upe%20zwei.jpg

Old 11-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you're an expert, most cars, and particularly expensive showy cars, are a rapidly-declining-in-value expense, and a horrible financial investment. If you want the best value for performance for the buck, you can't go wrong with an SRT-6.

That BMW is very good looking. Go to the dealership. Drive it around the block a few times. Maybe rent one for a month - even if it costs you 1k. Then put the rest of that 24k in your pocket - not theirs, and walk away knowing you're a whole lot smarter than BMW's marketing department.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:27 AM
Forum Regular

Looks like your mind is already made up, so go for the BMW. When I think of people who drive BMW's I think of people who really feel the need to gain others attention and looking for status. To me BMW's are just a status symbol car. I mean they are nice cars, but not at all unique. Enjoy your new car.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:00 AM
Forum Regular

It makes perfect sense to want to go from a crossfire to a Z4. The problem is when you start logically looking at the numbers. Financially it just doesn't make sense AND along about jan. or feb. dealers are going to be frantic to move cars. Whatever you do, wait until then to make a major purchase, should you decide to go ahead with it. Just have fun shopping for a couple months.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:33 AM

I wonder if you expected a different reaction from the rest of the board?

honestly... moving from a X-fire to a Z4 is more of a step sideways than a step-up... but it is still a step up... however... that price seems rather excessive depending on how much you put down on the x-fire.. but that is not a concern...

Anyways.. In my opinion... I say do NOT go with the x-fire simply because the new BMW 1 series will be out before long... lighter than the 3 series with the power to weight ratio of the M series... yummy... nothing like taking a german car and sticking a 6 cylinder with twin turbos. If you want to check it out just go to www.bmw.com and check out the international page... they have the 1 series there... check out the 3 door... looks as good as the Z4 without all of those silly hard cut lines.

OR, throw a few more $ K at the price and get you a lotus elise.

That my story and i'm stickin to it.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:58 AM
HJM

you can look at issues like this only emotional, financially none of the cars makes sense.
- looks - both cars are unique
- chick magnet - same status
- financially - keep the Crossfire
- maintenance - buy the BMW. I don't trust the Chrysler guys being able to service a relative complex car
- performance - handling - the Z4 beats the Crossfire hands down with its responsiveness and feel for the limits. The XFires circulating ball stearing box was already used by the Romans for their Chariots.
- and then the engine. The BMW name stands for Bavarian Motor Works and the engines are still way ahead in power delivery, etc.

I know - I own a BMW M5, a Crossfire SRT, a BMW Z1(look up under www.BMW-Z1.de), a P911-994 Cabriolet, a P944, a Alfa Romeo Spider,a VW Beetle Convertible (he real one - not the Golf-based) to judge the minute differences!

Have fun with what you got and if you are after performance - look at the P Cayman!

HJM

Old 11-24-2007, 06:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO I would rethink the Z. As a whole BMW's have moved into the unreliable category led buy their luxury cars. I don't know how reliable the Z is but I don't want a car that is going to burden me with very costly repairs. Their fun to own until you have to repair them. My colleaques who have BMW's trade them about every 2 years so they don't have to fix them. If you can afford to trade every 2 years buy one, if not, look somewhere else.

Here is a "new" SRT that you could easily afford. These cars are reliable, affordable and go like he!!.

Go to autotrader.com, set price for $24,000, put SRT in the special equipment box and you'll find many SRT with less than 100 miles on them! Now that is a bargain. If you're willing to have up to 10,000 miles on it, you can get SRT's under $20,000.

Quick Reply: trade crossfire for Z4 coupe?