Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

How To Build A Cai For Less Then $150

Old 12-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How To Build A Cai For Less Then $150

I am posting this because people have been asking and I want to also save people money. Here it goes this will work for either the srt6 or the N/a crossfire. This will make a dual or single you choose.The only tools you will need are a screw driver, Sand paper, and a saw for cutting the intake. Also I would suggest buying a ton of hose clamps when I say a ton I mean 10 they are cheap and you need to use at least 6 for this set up. Look at the pictures while you read or this may be hard for you to understand. I also ask that if someone decides to do this pm me anytime and I can help you out. Last if you do decide to do this please take pictures and post a how to people can see exactly what they need to do. Make this unique and make it your own and post some pics I am interested to see how people fine tuned it to make it better.

1) buy an intake off of ebay. Just by peer dumb luck the 1.8 turbo worked for this car. I bought it with intentions to cut it up and use it but it worked just fine with only making one cut for the passenger side of the car and no cut for the driver side of the car placement. Look at the photos where you will need to cut is the curve before the filter on the driver side placement. Once you receive the intake before you cut just put it under the hood and work with it you will immediately see right away where you need to cut the curve off.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Je...spagenameZWDVW

2) I used the cheap plastic intake parts from checker auto and modified them for the part that connects off from the throttle body but you can very easily use 2.5 inch aluminum piping. YOU will need two 90 degree pieces. Here are what I used. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Spect...spagenameZWD1V
For the N/A crossfire you will need to buy the air intake sensor piece from checker. http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/SPT9405.htm you may have to modify these adapters a little bit, by this i mean shave the inside of the plastic a little bit to ensure a tight fit on the sensor o-ring
For the srt6 just use the piece you cut off and another coupler or leave it.

3) I used only two couplers but depending on what you do you may need more. (if you use the plastic intake pieces, If you go with aluminum, If you are doing driver side or passenger side intake, if you need the sensor piece, If you want to join them together with the plastic rings they come with or if you want to use couplers. ) I used one to connect the two 90 degree elbows to the throttle body and also to connect the intake tube to the 90s and sensor piece. There are tons of options it is up to you just map it out before you do it so you not stuck short a coupler. Make sure and these is also up in the air If you buy that intake it is 2.5 inches you will need to get a coupler that goes from 3 inches to 2.5 inches.

4) put a filter onto the oil breather or run the hose that came with the intake from ebay to the intake pipe. Either way don't forget to plug the hole if you go the oil filter route.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Bu...spagenameZWDVW

5) If you would like to put the filter behind the grille it may be a little more money. Cut the plastic piece out or go through all the hassle to take it out the right way. It is the piece that the stock intake plugs right into. All you will need to do is extend where I have the filter placed in my pictures with a 10 to 13 inch silicon hose. Buy a 45 degree 3 inch tube and add the filter to the end of that.

6) If you want to make a dual buy another intake off ebay and buy a three inch Y pipe instead of another 90 degree tube. A warning to those thinking of doing the dual. I did not like how high the intake sat on that side which Is why I built it to go on the left side after that. maybe someone else can take the time to make it look better.

THERE YOU HAVE IT here are some pictures. These were the first pictures I took just I ended up painting it with out door grill paint. It was a sweet looking flat black and also helped with the heat. Total cost should be somewhere
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=15298
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...8&d=1183437409
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...0&d=1177367816

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cai123.JPG (4.5 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by jonnyangel04; 12-15-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: How To Build A Cai For Less Then $150

Nice write up. Nice of you to share this as we all know, when you try something new there is always the cost of spare parts that didn't work. I wish they would give us a Separate DIY section for write ups like this.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:53 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think i'm in love with your new avatar latana... yes i am in love. can i marry your avatar sir?

Old 12-14-2007, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by irwin
i think i'm in love with your new avatar latana... yes i am in love. can i marry your avatar sir?
Glad you like her. She is stolen from MBworld. I think she likes Crossfires better.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:42 PM

lol awesome you just made fun of MB owners who pay five figures to make there cars go fast and now your stealing there avatar. LOL.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
lol awsome you just made fun of MB owners who pay five figures to make there cars go fast and now your stealing there avatar. LOL.
That's right...

Well I have had a few MB's over the years and traded one for the Crossfire. So I know there are Benz owners that like to modify their cars as I was one of them. Just not enough of them. Trying to fnd performance parts isn't any fun either. But there are lots of companies like Kleeman, Brabus/Startech, Lorinser, Carlson, A.R.T. that are more than willing take every last penney you have.

I was a drag racer in High School and college which was a time in my life that I had to use my brain more than my empty wallet to go fast.

As for the lovely avatar, I left a copy of her on MBWorld, so I doubt that they will even notice she has been kidnapped.

Nice work on the intake. Kind of reminds me of what I am doing with the V8 conversion. I was quoted well over $40,000 by the MB/Crossfire tuner that does this. I couldn't believe the guy kept a straight face while giving me the estimate (I coundn't believe I managed to keep a straight face and not acuse him of smoking crack). I am sure there are members here that might think $40 sum thousand is justifiable. I decided I could do it for $4,000 and then post right on here exactly how to do it.

Last edited by LantanaTX; 12-14-2007 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:40 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and i am waiting for my how to guide... hurry hurry lol...

Old 12-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Just buy peer dumb luck..."

I think you meant: Just by pure dumb luck... Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:05 PM

ahh ha ha that is that Wisconsin college education hard at work lol