Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Blower Motor and Resistor Problem!!!

Old 12-27-2007, 06:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Blower Motor and Resistor Problem!!!

About a week ago I turned on my heater and smelled a burnt electrical smell......the fan wasn't blowing. I took it into the dealership and the said it was a burned out blower motor. The ordered the blower motor and told me it would be about a week before it was in. When I went in to pick up the car, I saw that they had broke my key fob which I complained about. The mechanic admitted he dropped it and the service guy said they'd order me a new key fob which would come in by the time my blower motor showed up.

Yesterday I got a call and they said to bring the car in and they'd get my blower motor installed. They also said the key fob had shown up. An hour later the service guy comes out and shows me that the old blower motor was burned out, but said when they installed the new blower motor and it ran continuously even when they turned off the car. He then tells me that I need a new resistor at about $300. This is, of course, after I'd paid $325 for a blower motor!! He said that the blower motor was bad and they had no way of knowing the resistor was bad until they installed the new blower motor. Does this sound correct? The service guy said he's replaced blower motors and resistors, but never seen both go bad at the same time??

For now the blower motor is installed but not wired up until the resistor shows up.

Now I'm waiting until Monday to get that part installed. It's been really fun driving the car with no heat and the window open to keep the windshield clean!!

Thanks John

Old 12-27-2007, 07:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Blower Motor and Resistor Problem!!!

Next time your XFire need attention, find a new dealer for service. There are many threads here on the subject, and usually the resistor is the first fix ( If the Service Manager and Tech Know what they are doing) and this is not a new problem known to Chrysler. Both items should have been covered under warranty.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Blower Motor and Resistor Problem!!!

Unfortunately, I'm out of warranty for a fix.....My car is a 2004 with 39,000 miles. My car was put in service in September 2003. I sure wish this could be covered under warranty or a recall.

Definitely going to a new dealer in the future. My biggest fear is that I take the car in on Monday and have them install the resistor and still not have things working correctly.....I did say to the service guy several times...."you're sure the resistor is going to fix the problem" and he said yes. I do believe the blower motor was bad when he showed it to me. The contacts looked like they'd gotten really hot and burned and the brushes looked horrible.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Blower Motor and Resistor Problem!!!

I am in the middle of a feud with my dealer on almost the exact same problem! My blower wouldn't run so I removed it and found that the shaft bearing had rusted and seized the squirrel cage shaft. I freed it up and reinstalled it but it still didn't work. I then RE-uninstalled it and found one of the brushes had overheated and cracked.

I then brought it to the dealer and they replaced the blower motor. I had a $100 deductible on the Wynn's warrantee, so I paid the hundred dollars and went to out to the car to leave. The battery was stone dead.

A mechanic came out and jumpstarted it and I left. When I got home and shut the car off, for some reason I didn't get right out. It was then I noticed a whirring sound, even with the ignition key off. It seems the blower motor was running on low even with the switch AND ignition key off, which immediately explained the dead battery.

I brought it back, they now said the resistor was no good, and fixed it. Now they want ANOTHER $100, as they said the warrantee company processed this as a separate claim.

My contention is that my dealer released the car not fixing the original problem 100% so THEY should eat the $100.

I'm writing an email to the head service manager now to see what they can do.

If you have a blower problem MAKE SURE they check the resistor as well as the blower!!!!!!! Seems when one goes it blows out the other.