Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Leaking cabin?

Old 02-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking cabin?

So, the wife and I were driving up to a friend's place to watch the Superbowl, in a light but steady rain, ran about fifty freeway miles. We were snug, dry and warm for the drive UNTIL I got off the freeway. Running down the regular streets, I made a hard left turn at a traffic light and my wife's shoes got wet! Water "splashed out" ( I guess) from somewhere under the dash near the firewall, from (I ASSume) the centrifugal force when I made that tight corner. Didn't leak before, hasn't leaked since...

Now, it occurs to me that we were probably driving with the vents open, as we NEVER poke the "recirculate" button on the climate control - the car had that "moldy towel" smell when we got it, and we've been fighting it ever since. It's been fading out to become far less noticeable, finally (eight months later). Changing the cabin filter recently may have helped that. Anyway...

This ever happen to anybody else? Or, do I have something that may bring real misery in the future?

Old 02-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Leaking cabin?

Was the Air Cond. switch pushed "ON"? It may have been condensation that didn't drain for some reason. Like a plugged drain hose which happened in my old Caddy.

OR, ?

Old 02-05-2008, 10:30 AM

A/C was OFF, but we were running the fan for a little heat and defroster action.

I have heard of this "plugged drain" before, when researching the stinky A/C. Can anybody give me a location of the drain outlet, and tips to check for blockage?

It seems to me that this COULD be related... If the big stink comes back in a week or two, then I'm REALLY gonna ASSume that they're related.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

FYI on most cars (not sure about the Crossfire), when you run the defrost setting you are indeed running the Air Conditioning and the air passes the evaporator first to dry the air before it's heated and blown across the windows. Otherwise your car would fog up just about every time you ran the heater.

I'd check the drain for the AC. (Should be on the passenger side... I know not where.)

Old 02-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If I remember correctly about 3 years ago somebody posted the same type of problem but I don't remember the reason for the water. Try a search with something like "water leak or water inside car" I don't recall the thread name.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:17 PM

I found that thread, thanks, YES, it sounds like the same kind of thing. BUT, the issue was never addressed or resolved, AFAIK...

Old 02-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Deaf Eddie
I found that thread, thanks, YES, it sounds like the same kind of thing. BUT, the issue was never addressed or resolved, AFAIK...
Thats not the post I was talking about so I did a search on my old posts since I made a comment on that particular thread and it doesn't show any of my posts earlier than 2007. It definitely was an older post from 2004 or 2005. Maybe the thread doesn't exist anymore.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:27 AM

You are not alone. 2005 Black Coupe owner wrestling with identical problem. Chrysler dealer modified the area around the external cabin air intake with a deflector plate, to prevent water breach. We'll see come springtime how successful this attempt at diverting rainwater, actually is. Musty smell has GOT TO GO.
- HGATPLAY