Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

interested in buying a crossfire, got a few questions

Old 03-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interested in buying a crossfire, got a few questions

im pretty set on a 2004 crossfire, cause nothing else in this price range looks as sweet or comes standard with nice rims and leather, etc...

problem is i live in new england, with some pretty harsh snowstorms. my friend owns a mercedes and says as long as you got snow tires on they are fine in the snow. can anyone confirm? should i buy a set of steelies for the set of snow tires or are there good snow tires for 18s and 19s?

i wasnt planning on doing too many modifications, probably just some suspension upgrades that i will return to stock for winter (aside from sways), tint, i might have the rims painted black for something unique. i saw some lowering kits for the cfire, which one should i buy?

i heard the spoiler engine is pretty loud in the cabin, and i don't care for it too much when its up. is there a way i can modify it so that it stays down at all times?

im planning on getting 2 12" woofers, are the stock speakers acceptable or should i look into upgrading them? how about the deck?

where can i buy custom grilles? are there any grilles that come in black?

thanks alot for any help.

edit: i was also looking into a few engine upgrades (after i get used to it stock, as it'll be my first rwd and 215 should be enough for a while), i seen this thing called an electric turbo supposedly adds 25 hp... how do these things perform? first thing i'll probably get is an intake though, then add that on later if i hear good things about it... should i upgrade the exhaust as well or does it come with a decent exhaust?

Last edited by dunphy; 03-07-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: interested in buying a crossfire, got a few questions

Originally Posted by dunphy
im pretty set on a 2004 crossfire, cause nothing else in this price range looks as sweet or comes standard with nice rims and leather, etc...

problem is i live in new england, with some pretty harsh snowstorms. my friend owns a mercedes and says as long as you got snow tires on they are fine in the snow. can anyone confirm? should i buy a set of steelies for the set of snow tires or are there good snow tires for 18s and 19s?

i wasnt planning on doing too many modifications, probably just some suspension upgrades that i will return to stock for winter (aside from sways), tint, i might have the rims painted black for something unique. i saw some lowering kits for the cfire, which one should i buy?

i heard the spoiler engine is pretty loud in the cabin, and i don't care for it too much when its up. is there a way i can modify it so that it stays down at all times?

im planning on getting 2 12" woofers, are the stock speakers acceptable or should i look into upgrading them? how about the deck?

edit: i was also looking into a few engine upgrades (after i get used to it stock, as it'll be my first rwd and 215 should be enough for a while), i seen this thing called an electric turbo supposedly adds 25 hp... how do these things perform? first thing i'll probably get is an intake though, then add that on later if i hear good things about it... should i upgrade the exhaust as well or does it come with a decent exhaust?
Welcome to the Forum!!!!

Putting a set of Blizzak snow tires on winter rims would be advised, the spoiler motor is not noisey at all (you can pull the fuse, but is not wise for speed IMHO). The OEM sound system is great for my needs, but others may have a different opinion. The Crossfire is not an off the shelf "tuner" type car, performance mods are far and few and expensive. The car is built on the MB R170 platform (SLK230/320). The so called electric turbo is crap.....smoke and mirrors....save your money. If speed is what you seek, then take a look at the SRT6 Crosssfire (330 HP supercharged MB/AMG engine). Take the time and do a search, there is a wealth of info here.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: interested in buying a crossfire, got a few questions

Dunphy, first off welcome to the forum.
Next, all your questions can be answered if you do a search.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Dunphy, first off welcome to the forum.
Next, all your questions can be answered if you do a search.
Ouch!

Welcome, Dunphy.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Re: interested in buying a crossfire, got a few questions

Two 12s will take up too much of the cargo area. Do one very high quality sub using Nazar's box, and you won't be disappointed. This is the 10 inch version (I requested unfinished because I'm going to modify it to fit my cargo cover.) The factory audio system is quite impressive, however, I went with JL ZR series components mated with a JVC KD-NX5000. Even before I upgraded the factory stuff, the placement of speakers make an impressive sound stage. It sounds like the car is in the studio.

Pics of his box:

Click on my signature for Nazar's box info.

Last edited by SRT6nTulsa; 03-07-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

look if you want to boom down the street this is not the car to do it in, the body is put together so well to block out noise it keeps noise in. it will sound great inside but outside you wont get that hard knock like cars that arent so well built. as for the performance stuff yeah use the search too much to tell ya in one thread and too many opinions.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome, Dunphy!

The Xfire isn't the world's greatest in the snow BUT there are snow tires available. Be ready for 'sticker shock' when pricing any tires for this car. Don't know why you'd want to do anything with the suspension, the car already rests about 5" off the ground plus you'd also be messing with an excellent handling car. Wait until you take a sharp turn sometime, you'll be amazed. The spoiler isn't noisy at all, check the owner's manual for the correct lube if it gets squeaky. You don't want to disable it, either.....well unless you don't ever plan on taking the car over 60 mph or so. The stock stereo is fine as is though several members have replaced or modified it, to each his own! Can't help you with replacement grills but, once again, do a search & you'll find quite a few ideas.
Mods. for this car are expensive (as stated by LTD above) & the electric turbo is useless.
Hang around this forum, Dunphy & you will find answers to darn near any question plus a great bunch of fellow Xfire owners!

Old 03-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by midnightman
Ouch!

Welcome, Dunphy.
Didn't mean to come off sounding curt, but Dunphy asked about 11 different questions, to which there are any number of different answers, and I thought he would get a lot of different opinions to choose from by doing a "search".
Come on Don, cut me some slack here.