Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Warranty Question

Old 03-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Warranty Question

My owners manual is in my car, and my car is at the Dealer, so can somebody give me the answer before I go in and do battle?
Isn't the cars battery covered under the 3 year 36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty?
My battery is failing to hold a charge, and I just got home and got a message from the service advisor that it's going to take 10 days to get the battery, and cost me $197.00!!
I understand my 36k warranty is up April 1st.
Thanks
Mike

Old 03-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Warranty Question

Mike - according to my warranty book, page 5 under B Whats Covered - There is no list of covered parts since the only exception is tires. Additionally they list the following as covered for 12 mths only, Brakes, wiper blades, clutch discs, windshield and rear window, wheel Alignment and wheel balancing.
I could find nothing that says its not covered. This is just my thought here they may try and pro rate it.
Pat

Old 03-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
My owners manual is in my car, and my car is at the Dealer, so can somebody give me the answer before I go in and do battle?
Isn't the cars battery covered under the 3 year 36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty?
My battery is failing to hold a charge, and I just got home and got a message from the service advisor that it's going to take 10 days to get the battery, and cost me $197.00!!
I understand my 36k warranty is up April 1st.
Thanks
Mike
Both mine and Ashley's were replaced under warranty. In addition, the alternator was relaced on mine.

Friday my SRT roadster is going in to the dealer for a new top and a new wing. It took two days for the top. The batteries were a couple of days.

Last edited by RMADERMAN; 03-27-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:58 PM
Forum Regular

I don't know the warranty question; however if it falls through you can buy a battery for 1/2 that at multiple autoparts stores. My 05 SRT with 4K miles had the batter fail - I didn't even try the warranty - just went and bought one as I assumed it didn't cover it....hmmm - maybe I am a little dumb....

Old 03-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

you are getting ripped off, I wouldn't use that dealer again. Premium battery here is 80 bucks, I just put one in my son's car at college for $47 from sears installed free. They should warrantee it anyway...Doc

Old 03-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had a battery replaced under warranty in a Chrysler vehicle in the past so I would think the same would hold true with the Crossfire.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:29 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, you would think that a bumper-to-bumper warranty should cover everything, except where noted on the warranty.

That should be your argument, I would think.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Forum Regular

DaimlerChrysler Motors Company LLC
National Customer Relations
(800) 992-1997

Old 03-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the 05 warranty, It should be under warranty if it's not on the list of thing not covered.

Last edited by robby363; 10-23-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:57 PM

Thanks everybody for the quick comeback.
I'm going to ask them to show me where it says in writing the battery "isn't" covered, and where it says it's pro-rated.
If I have to pay for one, I'm going to see if Summit Racing has an "Optima" battery that fits the Crossfire.
I know batteries don't last forever, and since my car was built Jan. 04, the battery is at least 4 years old. But the warranty wasn't activated until I purchased my car brand new on April 1st. 05. and that's when the car was put into service.
This is the same dealer that told me the spark plugs cost $300.00 and need to be changed every 15000 miles.
I can't take my car back to the dealer where I purchased it, because it's 9 hours away, and they're out of business anyways.
The dealer my car is at is Klaben, in Kent. The only reason I chose them is because I heard good things about them on the Viper forum.

On top of everything else, my emergency brake cable "froze" engaged the first time I pulled it, so they're going to probably try charging me to free it up too.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Even if its not covered under the cars warranty I believe that batteries in new cars are warrantied by the manufacturer of the battery for a minimum of 5 years, the only thing is they will probably pro-rate the value by age against the price of the new battery.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:11 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The battery in my '04 was replaced under the 3 year warranty. It developed a leak, probably from losing charge and freezing when sitting on the dealers lot (my guess?).

Old 03-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I think you should talk to the GM at the dealership before you talk to the service advisor. I just talked to the owner of our local Chrysler dealership, and he is German and he doesn't like to warrantee anything, and his reply was simple. He would replace the battery if it were within the 3yr 36k range. He simply charges Chrysler. Pete would know, he has 1 of the largest dealerships in IN. I have purchased several vehicles from him, but not my SRT...got that somewhere else, he still hasn't forgiven me...Doc

Old 03-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We had to have the battery replaced on our Pacifica last year under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. The dealership gave us no issues on replacing it.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
The dealer my car is at is Klaben, in Kent. The only reason I chose them is because I heard good things about them on the Viper forum.
I'm sorry to hear that as I am planning to take my car to Klaben when it needs service. My battery was 2 years old when I took delivery of my Crossfire, and it was nearly dead when they first showed me the car. I fear that I will be in the same boat as you before my 3 year warranty is up.

I have a friend who is a mechanic at Klaben. Next time I see him I think I'll ask him about your (and soon to be my) situation.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Towncrier
I'm sorry to hear that as I am planning to take my car to Klaben when it needs service. My battery was 2 years old when I took delivery of my Crossfire, and it was nearly dead when they first showed me the car. I fear that I will be in the same boat as you before my 3 year warranty is up.

I have a friend who is a mechanic at Klaben. Next time I see him I think I'll ask him about your (and soon to be my) situation.
Well I went over to Klaben this morning and talked to the service director who told me the battery cost $197.00. I told her it was still under the 36 month warranty. She went and checked with her boss and came back and said it was covered. No problem. The only thing is my car is stuck over at the dealer (out of my sight) until the battery comes in.
I've got a battery that will fit in the Crossfire, and I've tried it already. The car would start, but it wouldn't stay running for more than a few seconds.
So when the original battery lost it's charge, it must have "tripped" something in the computer that shuts it down. That's why I can't just bring my car home until the battery comes in.
Once again, thanks to everyone who gave me all the info.