Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Prospective owner has questions

Old 04-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prospective owner has questions

I'm looking at buying a coupe in the $20k range, and the Crossfire's styling and RWD definetely grabbed my attention. I'm really considering it, but I do have some questions about the Crossfire. I hear people here talking about buying new Crossfire for low-mid 20s, but all the Crossfires I've found near me (Dallas or Seattle, which is where I will be moving soon) are priced at mid-high 30s. Can you seriously go to a dealer and offer nearly 60% of the sticker for a new car? I mean, I know they don't sell very quickly, but that seems pretty audacious! Naturally, I'm considering going used, but I'm concerned about the warranty (which is going to be expired on the 04s-05s and getting close on the 06+.) Can you get a good extended warranty on the Crossfire still? Are there some common issues that will come up that are not covered by warranty? What are you guys spending per year on maintenance/repair on the Crossfire? Since it's all M-B internals, I'm worried that all the money I might save on a used Crossfire is going to get eaten up on repairs. Thanks for your help, this is a gorgeous car, I'm just worried about the ownership costs

Old 04-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Prospective owner has questions

I drove by my Chrysler dealer today and they had a new 08 Silver Roadster with $29,000 on the windshield. I know you are looking for a coupe, but just wanted to give you an idea of what the new roadster is selling for. I'm sure they have some coupe's as well and probably about 5 to 6k under that roadster price.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:10 PM

So far, my price shopping has just been through what's listed on cars.com - does that skew higher than average?

Old 04-21-2008, 07:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://search.stores.ebay.com/Steve-...935736QQsofpZ0

Make an offer

Old 04-21-2008, 07:23 PM
Forum Regular

If you can swing it, get an 2005 SRT.
Only 2016 coupes made.
Major perpetual grin factor.

Got mine for just over half original sticker from a Toyota dealer's used car lot.

These were pulled from the Chrysler dealers, and auctioned off; many brand new.
There is an old post from TodK showing what the dealers actually paid at auction.
Ones like mine went for about $21300 - 21500.

These are a narrow market car that dealers want off of their lots, so you should be able to swing a heck of a deal. (Like low mileage for <$23K)

Stock SRT has a hand built AMG (Benz race division) supercharged engine as well as other performance upgrades.

Base and limited are still pretty cool, though.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Shop around on EBAY. You might be able to find a brand new 07 Coupe, in the very low 20's. That way you can get one with a full factory warranty. That's how I found mine.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:46 PM

The Chrysler Dealer in Bonham (1 hr. North East of Dallas) has great deals on used crossfires. I got a 6 year 72K bumper to bumper with $50 deductible warranty on mine. But I also bought from the Boardwalk group.

http://www.bonhamchrysler.com/

They have a SRT6 with 35K for $17,999 it also comes in the fastest color available..... BLACK!

Second SRT6 in blue with 25K for $19,999

Third SRT6 Roadster in Blue 10K for $29,999

Also have a 2007 with less that 10K for $16,999

They also have one with less than 100 miles anywhere from $20K - $22K

Last edited by thaphillips; 04-21-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, from recent first hand experience. I bought my '07 base model coupe a little two weeks ago last saturday... the final selling price, not including TTL and trade-in value and cash down was $19,898. I know you could get a '07 limited coupe for around $21/22K before TTL. I would have to suggest going with new. I was in your same situation, deciding between used and new. I finally decided that after a comprable extended warranty on a used coupe, I could pick up a brand new coupe for only about 500ish dollars more. Keep in mind that I was look at coupe with only less than 5k miles... So you may be able to get one with 10-15k miles for cheaper, but this is just my experience. I would definately look into a new '07 if possible. I didn't not find the features of the limited to be worth the money IMO so i went with the base model (though some people on the forum love the features of the limited and think they are worth every penny - its just a mtter of opinion). definately do your research. while this car screams, impulse buy. with all the great deals you can get on them. look around and find the one you want. color, coupe/roadster, etc... with the exception of finding a ne SRT-6 i think you can find the car you want if you look for it.

Good luck with your searches.

P.S. The place where I bought my car was Deerbrook-Forest Chrysler Jeep in Kingwood, Texas (North of Houston). great salesmen, and the management is always wanting to work some great deals.

http://www.deerbrookforest.com

Old 04-22-2008, 06:22 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are in Dallas, Preston Chrysler has 8 used ones on the lot. Even an SRT-6. As far as maintenance, very little. Just oil changes that are $120 or so at the dealer. Or, do it your self and save $$. Otherwise. these cars are really low maintenance.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:34 PM
Forum Regular

I just got my SRT for $17,488 with 30,000 miles. I've got 6,000 miles or 12 months left on the factory warranty (in service date was 4-06). I bought the 7-70 maxcare warranty ($100 deductable) for an additional $1,500 ish. The dealer had bought it at an auction where it was a one-owner lease for $17,200 ( I saw his papers) in December of '07. They originally listed it for $22,900. After sitting on the lot all winter they were very willing to deal...

Maybe you can find a similar situation!

Old 04-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jodonnell
I'm looking at buying a coupe in the $20k range, and the Crossfire's styling and RWD definetely grabbed my attention. I'm really considering it, but I do have some questions about the Crossfire. I hear people here talking about buying new Crossfire for low-mid 20s, but all the Crossfires I've found near me (Dallas or Seattle, which is where I will be moving soon) are priced at mid-high 30s. Can you seriously go to a dealer and offer nearly 60% of the sticker for a new car? I mean, I know they don't sell very quickly, but that seems pretty audacious! Naturally, I'm considering going used, but I'm concerned about the warranty (which is going to be expired on the 04s-05s and getting close on the 06+.) Can you get a good extended warranty on the Crossfire still? Are there some common issues that will come up that are not covered by warranty? What are you guys spending per year on maintenance/repair on the Crossfire? Since it's all M-B internals, I'm worried that all the money I might save on a used Crossfire is going to get eaten up on repairs. Thanks for your help, this is a gorgeous car, I'm just worried about the ownership costs
There's a nice graphite coupe here 9,000 miles $24K one owner, by owner.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:06 PM

Just keep your eyes open. I had never considered a xfire at all until I saw a local dealer with special deals on new 2007 xfires. Went over to see what special deals meant, ended up buying one. They had only 2 models, a roadster (red) with auto transmission and a base coupe (black) with six speed. I bought the base coupe for the following reasons:

I don't drive auto transmission cars (yet) unless I drive my wife's car(s).
I refuse to pay over $20,000 for a car for myself (we won't talk about what my wife pays).
I don't buy used cars.

I look for good deals because of the above 3 parameters.

So I paid $18,900 for a brand new 2007 base coupe with a life time powertrain warranty. I considered this to be a good deal.

I was not really looking, it just happened.

Last edited by thenderaaa; 04-22-2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:42 PM

Thanks everyone for all the info, I think I will be trying to pick one up in the Seattle area, hopefully the dealers there will not be too greedy

Old 04-23-2008, 07:52 PM

Keep in mind that many '05s and '06 have an "in service" date of 2007 - since the new car warranty starts at the "in service date" and is transferrable - a low mileage '05 may have 2+ years of warranty left, it is essentially identical to an '07 or '08 and can be had for way way under $20k

Old 04-23-2008, 08:15 PM

I still see 2006 Limited Coupes listed on several dealer sites. Many are posted at sticker. What should the prospective buyer offer/expect to pay for an '06?

Old 04-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts

Jodennell,
Every post on this thread has it right, You won't do better on a Crossfire new or used than right now.
I would go for new,and get the 7 year warranty because, these cars are not cheap to fix. Believe it or not there are still some new 06's around if you are wiling to travel.
from what i see, you won't find a super deal in the northwest (Seattle) but where you are is ideal. San Antonio, Dallas and Houston seem to have a lot of cars available, at least on Ebay. And dealers are incentivised to move out the last of the 06 and 07 models with as much as $12K from Chrysler. Most pass this right on through to the buyer and still give you the 7/70 powertain warranty.
Don't hesitate to deal hard. If the dealer resists, give 'em your number and walk away. Let them know, you know the score. They will call. Just don't let them see you salivate.

The above posts should guide you on price. No BS. You can drive a $40K sticker off the lot for close to $23K, or better.

But not for much longer.

roadster with a stick

Old 04-23-2008, 09:03 PM

You will get a better price in Texas than in Seattle.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
Jodennell,
Every post on this thread has it right, You won't do better on a Crossfire new or used than right now.
I would go for new,and get the 7 year warranty because, these cars are not cheap to fix. Believe it or not there are still some new 06's around if you are wiling to travel.
from what i see, you won't find a super deal in the northwest (Seattle) but where you are is ideal. San Antonio, Dallas and Houston seem to have a lot of cars available, at least on Ebay. And dealers are incentivised to move out the last of the 06 and 07 models with as much as $12K from Chrysler. Most pass this right on through to the buyer and still give you the 7/70 powertain warranty.
Don't hesitate to deal hard. If the dealer resists, give 'em your number and walk away. Let them know, you know the score. They will call. Just don't let them see you salivate.

The above posts should guide you on price. No BS. You can drive a $40K sticker off the lot for close to $23K, or better.

But not for much longer.

roadster with a stick

i completely agree with everything that was just said, except one thing. chrysler is now offering a lifetime powertrain warranty. which is what really put me over the edge to go buy a new one instead of a used one.

chrysler offers 10k to dealers. plus hold back and blah blah blah everything else... you should be able to get a limited coupe ($37k sticker) for $21/22k and a limited roadster ($42k sticker) for $22/23k.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:33 AM

I have the same questions. I am looking at new '07 Limited Coupes, autostick, and two-tone leather. Is $22,000, not including TT&L a good deal? I will have to pay transport to Northern CA as well--should I have it transported open air or enclosed? It's about $600 more to enclose.

Thanks

Old 04-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by sooner
I have the same questions. I am looking at new '07 Limited Coupes, autostick, and two-tone leather. Is $22,000, not including TT&L a good deal? I will have to pay transport to Northern CA as well--should I have it transported open air or enclosed? It's about $600 more to enclose.

Thanks
First question, Is that a good deal? Yes if $22K icludes taxes and title. You might do a bit better say a grand or so but you have to decide if it's worth the risk to lose the deal. It's unlikely someone else is pressing them to buy it so I'd push a little. My only comparison is my '06 roadster ltd. Bought new in February this year for $24K with L,Tx,Tl. Roadsters are a bit more and prices have gone down a bit. See if they will throw in the 7/7 bumper to bumper warranty.

Where did you buy it?

If it were me I would drive that puppy home. Do it all the time. My current Xfire is car number seven off Ebay. Picked cars up from Houston to Virginia. I'm in St Louis. It's an adventure.

But if Iwas shipping, an open lowboy trailer will be an easy way of getting rock chips in the front clip so I would go covered. $ 600.00 won't cover a new paint job.

roadster with a stick

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 04-25-2008 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Prospective owner has questions